Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Grilled Corn Salad



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I wanted to post this recipe early in the week, so those of you whose holiday menus are not not yet set in stone could have some time to look it over. This is a very simple salad that mixes grilled corn with spinach and tomatoes. The recipe was developed for Diabetic Living Magazine and it is really easy to prepare. I made only one change to their recipe, and that was necessitated by my loathing of low-calorie salad dressings. While I substituted  a  commercial Caesar salad dressing to season the corn and dress the salad, any oil and vinegar dressing could be used.  I don't like to make this salad too much in advance of serving. While a long wait will not affect its flavor,  the spinach loses it bright green color and its texture will suffer if it is allowed to sit too long.  This is a side dish with great eye appeal and its vibrant colors really whet the appetite. If you have a taste for corn salad, I hope you will give this one a try. Here's the recipe.

Grilled Corn Salad
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Diabetic Living

Ingredients:

4 fresh ears of corn
1/2 cup bottled clear Italian or Caesar salad dressing 
2 cups shredded fresh spinach
2 cups red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or basil
2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Fresh oregano or basil leaves (optional)

Directions:

1) Remove husks and silks from corn. Brush with some of the salad dressing. Grill on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; turning often. (Or place in a shallow baking pan; bake in a 425 degree F oven for 30 minutes, turning once.) When corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs (you should have about 2 cups kernels).
2) In a large bowl, combine corn kernels, spinach, tomatoes, and snipped herb. Add remaining salad dressing; toss gently to coat.
3) To serve, spoon corn mixture into 6 small mugs or bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. If desired, top with oregano leaves. Makes 6 (1-cup) servings.










One Year Ago Today: Grilled London Broil with Sauce Ravigote















Two Years Ago Today: Watermelon, Cucumber and Tomato Salad















Three Years Ago Today: Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream

34 comments :

Kavi said...

looks so fresh!

Veronica Miller said...

I love fresh corn recipes in the summer, or just eating it straight off the cob! Your salad sounds delish!

Diane said...

No fresh corn around here yet but I will remember this salad when it is. Looks delicious. Keep well Diane

Ana Regalado said...

This looks very appetizing ! Great as a side dish or for snacking :D Simple yet very tasty dish , Mary !

StephenC said...

The thought of this salad with some fresh summer corn (not available yet here) and brand new juicy tomatoes is quite overwhelming.

Alessandra said...

So it is grilled first? Good idea, it would make it really tasty!

Ciao
Alessandra

Daniela said...

menu 'delicious, I really like the cake the previous post. Daniela good day.

kitchen flavours said...

Looks wonderful! I love corn salad! Thank you for sharing, have a lovely day!

Tanna said...

Very colorful and full of wonderful ingredients! Couldn't help but love this one. I do like how you have been featuring red, white and blue desserts! ;) blessings ~ tanna

Rachana said...

I' d love to have this salad! Looks so colourful and delicious :-)

Rambling Tart said...

I keep forgetting that it's almost July 4th! :-) It doesn't seem possible since it's the dead of winter here in Oz. :-) Love this dish though!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

You always brighten u my day with such delicious fresh recipes my friend :D
Thank you!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Ellen B Cookery said...

This salad looks wonderful. I agree about holding off on adding the dressing in order for the spinach to maintain its colour and crispiness. You don't want it so get soggy and wilt.

I always look forward to your posts, even the older ones you show from previous years. It's a great idea, as theses recipes are new to me.

Kim said...

I would love to have some of this salsa for lunch... It would be perfect for the tex-mex chicken I have!

Unknown said...

I know I say this a lot, but the picture makes the salad look like summer in a bowl! Very lovely and so easy to throw together.

Bites from life with the barking lot said...

The spinach sounds like a wonderful addition to the grilled corn. Love to try!

Unknown said...

This is so color and fresh looking, YUM!

David said...

Mary, I just love the look, the textures and the combination of flavors that are created with this roasted corn salad. Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Suzie said...

This sounds very good, I could turn this into a meal :)

Renée said...

I will enjoy this colorful salad with a balsamic dressing. Best part, I have everything to make it for tonight. Thanks Mary!

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is very summery and pretty, perfect for a picnic. I have a question for you, Phil asked me how succotash came to get it's name and also how they chose the vegetables to combine for it. You know everything about this sort of food history.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

I love how you grill the corn before using it in the salad!

Jennifer Kendall said...

that sounds like a wonderfully fresh sald!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

The photo has great eye appeal! Thanks for the oven instructions, for those of us who don't have a grill at the moment.

Coleens Recipes said...

Grilled corn is the BEST.

Pam said...

This is another great recipe to try! A perfect summer dish! Thanks, Mary and have a good evening!

Juliana said...

Delicious salad Mary, especially with grilled corn, much more flavorful. Perfect for a lazy summer day :)
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are enjoying your week!

Ellen Whyte said...

looks great! I eat mine with a tablespoon of mango chutney - the spicy kind, not sweet.

What's next said...

I love corn salads, I'll have to try this one.

Melinda said...

Oh! This sounds soooooooooooo good.
A keep I say. We have cherry tomatoes in the garden--I'll have to make this when they ripen!

Yummy.

Melinda

Joanne said...

You're making me wish I had a grill! Sweet summer corn is the best.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This is a perfect salad for summer and so colorful.

Kathy said...

Mary, Such a lovely salad…perfect for a summer barbecue! And so yummy looking!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Ilove corn salads, Mary, and I'm in agreement with you on loathing the low-cal dressing! The strawberry cake looks so good, too...yum!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly