Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Roast Pork with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze




I try to keep my kitchen free of gadgets or appliances that are rarely used. My resistance to bread machines, rice cookers, juicers and ice cream makers is based on limited space as well as my penny-pinching ways. Occasionally, I relent. My portable convection oven is a case in point. It has a home in my kitchen because it's an energy miser and keeps meat exceptionally moist as it roasts. I buy long, single loin pork roasts from a warehouse store in my area. I cut each loin into thirds. One section is cut into chops or cutlets and the other two are left whole to freeze as roasts. Pork, purchased this way, is still a bargain. Today's recipe is easy to do, can be cooked in a convection or conventional oven and produces a roast worthy of company. I think you'll enjoy it.

Roast Pork with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze

Ingredients:
Raspberry Balsamic Glaze:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or crushed chipotle in adobo
1 clove crushed garlic
Zest and juice of 1/2 an orange
Pork Loin:
1 center cut boneless pork loin (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided use
4 teaspoons coarse garlic salt
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano

Directions:
1) Combine vinegar, raspberry preserves, mustard, Sriracha, garlic clove, orange zest and juice in a small microwavable bowl. Cook on HIGH power for 1 minute, or until preserves melt and sauce thickens.
2) Preheat conventional oven to 325 degrees F. or preheat convection oven to 300 degrees F.
3) Using kitchen twine, tie pork loin at 1-inch intervals to form a cylinder of uniform circumference.
4) Combine garlic salt, pepper and oregano in a small bowl; toss to combine. Spread mixture on a work surface. Rub surface of meat with 1 teaspoon olive oil; roll in spice mixture.
5) Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy ovenproof skillet over high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Add pork; sear well, about 5 minutes per side, using tongs to roll meat until all surfaces are brown. Brush pork with glaze. Transfer skillet to oven and roast for 15 minutes. Brush again with glaze and roast for 20 minutes longer, or until pork reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F. Remove from oven. Brush again with glaze. Tent with foil; let sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.

Cooks Note: Meat cooked in a portable convection oven should be removed from skillet and placed directly on the oven rack. It should be turned half way through cooking.

10 comments :

Martha said...

Mary --

pork loin is a favorite at Linderhof and this looks great.

I, too, am not a gadget person!

Martha

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks beautiful! What a cutie on your sidebar!

Allie said...

Yours looks so perfect! Making me hungry already and I just ate breakfast.

Maria said...

The glaze sounds wonderful!!

Cathy said...

Great blog and wonderful photos. I don't know what to try first.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Cathy, we're practically neighbors! Thanks for the compliment.I hope you'll be back often. I'm on my way to visit Wives With Knives now. Mary

Anonymous said...

Love the loin! Balsamic anything is great with me.

Prudy said...

You've outdone yourself on this one. Who is your little tricker treater on the side? It looks like a magazine ad since it's such a cutie pie!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Erin, the cutie pie is the youngest of my grandsons, and he is a doll. The older two aren't sure they want their mug shots posted here. I'll put them up as soon as I have their permission. I'll be doing a story about the oldest week after next. Maybe he let me post a picture with his story.

The Inexperienced Foodie said...

Wow that looks tasty and juicy I will be trying that on a roast chicken.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly