Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Baked Swedish Pancake - Breakfast


One more long day, then it's all over but the shouting. We're going to start the day with a substantial baked pancake that comes from Sweden. Pancake is really a misnomer; this is more like a baked custard or an Italian cheesecake sans cheese. I first made this years ago in an attempt to get extra calories and protein into the diet of an ill child. It's not terribly sweet, so I suggest you adjust the sugar to taste or serve it with macerated fruit or a fruit syrup. It's very easy to do. A cast-iron skillet is recommended and any type of berry can be used.

Baked Swedish Pancake

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
4 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries
Garnish: blueberries, powdered sugar

Directions:
1) Butter a cast iron skillet and place in oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Place flour, sugar, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a 2 quart bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Fold in blueberries.
3) Pour batter into hot pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until center of pancake is set.
4) Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm with berries and syrup. Yield: 8 servings.

Cook's Note: Warmed jelly or jam makes an excellent syrup for the pancake.

10 comments :

Peter M said...

One nice, big & thick pancake...kinda soft too. This looks like a fine dessert too!

Martha said...

I love the German Baked pancake, now I'll have to try this one -- perhaps for Daughter Sarah and her Andy over Thanksgiving. But Mary, what are Swedish pancakes without lingonberries?

Martha

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks lovely. I might make one with apples.

Allie said...

I had this a long time ago and could never find out what it was, but it looks just like what I had. I'm excited to make it and see if it's the same. Thanks!

Maria said...

What a lovely breakfast treat! I love blueberries!

Cathy said...

Funny coincidence, I've just made a German pancake as a special election day treat. Your wonderful Swedish pancake is something I've never tried. Your description that it is like a baked custard has me hooked.

Anonymous said...

Great hearty breakfast for a long day and night ahead.

Barbara said...

I have never had this Swedish pancake. It looks yummy. Being German, I make the German Apple Pancake for holiday breakfasts.

Veronica said...

Looks so tender...I would love this as a dessert too in the spring or summer when berries are fresh.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Please keep in mind that this is not a sweet pancake. If you plan to serve it for dessert be sure to have syrup or fruit to use as a topping.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly