Monday, February 16, 2009

Scallion Pancakes






These salty Asian flatbreads are a favorite of my family. They are sold by street vendors all over Asia. Once you get the knack of rolling they are easy to make and they are beautiful to look at. They are best eaten right after they are made.

Scallion Pancakes

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

Directions:
1) Combine flour and water in a medium bowl. Stir well with a wooden spoon until it turns into a dough.
2) Lightly flour a work surface. Turn dough onto surface and knead for 5 minutes until a smooth, soft dough forms. Cover dough with bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes.
3) Divide the dough into three portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll each piece into a circle, 6 to 8-inches in diameter. Cover until ready to use.
4) Use 1 teaspoon oil to lightly coat surface of a pancake. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/3 of scallions. Starting at the far end and pulling it toward you, roll the pancake into a plump log. Shape log into a tight spiral, tucking loose ends under. Press gently but firmly to flatten into a big thick cake. Using a rolling pin, roll cake into a 7-inch pancake. Repeat with other 2 portions of dough.
5) Heat a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of oil turning to coat pan with oil. When hot, add a pancake and cook until underside is lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until bread is cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Repeat with remaining two pancakes. Cut each pancake into quarters. Serve warm or hot. Yield: 3 pancakes to serve 4 to 6.

Adapted from a recipe by Nancy Mc Dermott

6 comments :

Susan C said...

"Once you get the hang of rolling" . . . That's what scares me. : )

Julia said...

Oh, i love scallion pancakes! And yours look so light and crispy! Sometimes I make my own (I usually have everything on hand) but they are also available frozen in the Asian supermarket. I hate to admit it, but they do rival homemade.

Anonymous said...

Are these the Korean version? I'm pretty sure I've tried something similar and they were damn good.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome. I saw this recently in some other blog & I was thinking how delicious it was going to be!

Soma said...

I had been wanting to make these for quite sometime now. yours was an inspirations:-). I have made the asian pancakes & will post soon & will also link to you. Thanks a lot!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Soma, I can't wait to see your pancakes. I love all varieties of this Asia snack.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly