Sunday, July 24, 2011

Milk Chocolate Bundt Cake



From the kitchen of OnePerfect Bite...This cake, now known as the Classic Hershey Bar Cake, has been around for a long time and a lot of people have experimented with it. It was developed in the Hershey test kitchens back in the day when chocolate syrup came in a can and had to be opened with a church key. Since then, eager cooks have tried to make it their own by making small changes to the original recipe. I've tried many of them because I like to mix things up a bit and this is the type of cake that travels well, making it perfect for picnics or church suppers. While I won't be talking numbers, I've been to a lot of picnics and church suppers in my day, so I've a good working relationship with this cake and I've made it a lot. It is a sweet cake, actually sweeter than I like, but it is always well-received and disappears before it has a chance to stale. I've come full circle on recipes for making it. I began with the one that came from the Hershey kitchen and that's the one I've finally settled on. This is very easy to make and there is little that can go wrong, save for over-baking it. Milk chocolate cakes have a slightly anemic appearance, so, I like to sprinkle this one confectioners' sugar before serving. It is also lovely when served with a dollop of whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. I think those of you who try the cake will enjoy it. Here's the recipe.

Milk Chocolate Bundt Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Hershey Test Kitchens

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
6 (1.55 oz. each) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars, melted
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Dash salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup Hershey's Syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Optional:
Confectioners' sugar
Additional chocolate syrup

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup fluted tube pan.
2) Beat butter in large bowl until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating on medium speed of mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate; beat until blended.
3) Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until blended. Add syrup and vanilla; beat until blended. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4) Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over top and drizzle with chocolate syrup, if desired. 12 to 16 servings.

*Cook's Notes: To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.










One Year Ago Today: Watermelon Smoothies















Two Years Ago Today: Orange Phoenix Chicken with Grilled Bok Choy







You might also enjoy these recipes:
Orange Chocolate Bundt Cake - Buttercream Barbie
White Chocolate Bundt Cake - My Kitchen Adventures
Hot Fudge Chocolate Bundt Cake - Sugar Plum
Beautiful Bundt - Stacey Snacks
Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake - Passionate About Baking

44 comments :

Katarina said...

What a beautiful and delicious cake!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I heard you can eat this cake for breakfast. Is that correct? YUM

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

It has been quite a while since I had chocolate syrup from a can, but I do remember that! I love Bundt cakes - for quite a while, the Bundt was my signature cake. Hope you're having a great weekend!

lena said...

mary, this is simply gorgeous!

Kim said...

Even if it's a little bit too sweet, I can't say no to a beautiful piece of bundt cake. These are perfect to feed a crownd and perfect in picnics and pot luck diners... Hace a nice sunday, Mary!

Elaine said...

This looks so good and as I am a chocoholic I would most definitely add some more Hershey's syrup on my slice. Have a beautiful Sunday, Mary.

Anonymous said...

ooo, thats a yummy cake!!

Saji said...

This is sooooooooo beautiful!!!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

This is such a pretty cake and I am so happy to see that it's chocolate!

Sue/the view from great island said...

I've never heard about this cake before, which is strange because I love bundt cakes and I love chocolate. There's something about the color and the simplicity of this cake that really appeals to me. I always seem to be baking with dark chocolate, so this would be a nice change. Did someone say you can eat it for breakfast??? I'm there.

Jen_from_NJ said...

This cake reminds me of childhood - lovely!

Anonymous said...

What a yummy bundt cake!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh this looks so good!! Too bad my bundt pans got thrown out in the eighties!! Every once in a while I wish I still had them.

Y said...

This sort of cake reminds me of my childhood! Yum!

Monet said...

Can you believe I've never heard of this cake before? It needs to be made in my house soon! Thank you for sharing with me, my friend! I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday. As always...this looks delicious (and I'm sure it tastes even better)!

Jeannie said...

What a delightful looking cake...would love to try this one.

Megan @ Foodalution said...

Delicious and I love that it is made with Hershey's syrup!

Becki (Becki's Whole Life) said...

This looks wonderful. It looks extremely moist. Yum!

Martha said...

aahhh Mary, how do you do it? everything always looks so delicious and this certainly is no exception! Yum!!

Kath said...

Bundt Cakes are so perfect for entertaining and for taking to potlucks! Your milk chocolate one looks fantastic, Mary!

That Girl said...

I feel like I'm the only person alive who hasn't made this recipe yet.

Heather S-G said...

Oh, that definitely looks perfect. I want my slice sprinkled with powdered sugar AND a big dollop of whipped cream...perfection :D

RATOLINHA said...

Que bolo maravilhoso!!!
Adorei.
beijinhos da Ratolinha

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

This is the perfect cake for anytime! looks heavenly!

Linda Starr said...

I do love the beautiful shape of a bundt cake, whomever invented this pan was brilliant in art and cooking.

The Harried Cook said...

That is such a pretty cake! And it looks really moist too... Yummy cake, Mary! Thanks for sharing :)

Mini Baker said...

beautiful cake!

Claudia said...

Perfect for the chocoholics in my life (of which there are many). I wonder how it would be with darker chocolate?

Anonymous said...

It looks so dense and full of deliciousness!! I'm such a huge fan of Bundt Cakes, really, I am!!! Some think they are too simple, but that's what I love about them, simple, but yet packed with textures and flavors.

Tanna said...

Oh, how I love a milk chocolate bundt cake!! blessings ~ tanna

Gloria Baker said...

Look amazing!! Mary, gloria

Buttercup said...

Yummy! I am a milk chocolate fan and have never lost my taste for Hershey bars.

Joanne said...

I've never heard a cake called "anemic" before, but this certainly sounds delicious to me!

Ellen Whyte said...

OMGoodness now I'm straight back in Germany! yum...

Deb in Hawaii said...

My mom used to make this one all the time--I always liked it with lots of chocolate sauce. ;-)

kitchen flavours said...

Your cake looks fabulous! I love Bundt cakes! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week!

Alessandra said...

I am not quite sure of what a church key is, but I like your description :-).

And the cake, of course, it looks perfect!

Ciao
Alessandra

Jamie said...

Mary this cake is calling out to me! A cake made with Hershey Bars? Fabulous! And I so love all the old recipes - even have an old Hershey's cookbook! Will definitely be making this for the boys!

Anonymous said...

Yes I am imaganinig..a cup of good cofee and my girlfriends looking dreamy over this cake:) Great job:)

Unknown said...

Oh yum! I love chocolate bundt cakes. I made one from Hersey's that was called a Mayan chocolate bundt cake - it was delicious - I can imagine this one would be just as good!

Gen said...

This cake looks really delicious! And I'm sure I could do it with dark chocolate, but that's because I love chocolate ^^

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I love making bundt cakes. They are sturdy for easy slicing...especially when guests are helping themselves.

Anonymous said...

That looks really good! Furthermore, chocolate milk is my favourite one ;)

Lucie said...

I love classic recipes developed by brands--they give you a great snapshot of the food trends at the time they were developed. Sounds like a tasty cake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly