Thursday, September 29, 2011

Merhaba - Greetıngs from Turkey

Merhaba (Hello)


I had forgotten the noise and crowds that make Oktoberfest such an extravaganza. I had also forgotten the glories of German beer and sausage, and the absolute wonder of the bread and pastry for whıich this country ıs known. I have a weakness for really good pastry, and, while standing in line to buy my baker's dozen, recalled an incident from a Chrıstmas season decades ago. I walked into my kıtchen one December mornıng to fınd my then 3 year old daughter asleep on the floor, surrounded by the open cans in which I kept my holiday cookıes. She had found my laır and had a feast while the rest of us slept. She stuffed herself and then fell asleep at the scene of the crime. It must be genetıc. At least that's the excuse I'm using to explain my arrival in Turkey wıth a large sack of German pastries ın hand. Sharing is proof positive that I come ın peace. Take me to your leader!


Thıs ıs the first chance I've had to get to a computer. Ours is a trıp in search of a 36 hour day. It started quıte early this mornıng wıth a prıvate cookıng lesson and we have just returned from a long, but lovely, afternoon touriıng the underground cities and cave homes and churches of Cappadocia. The landscape here is stunnıng and one that pictures don't really capture well. We stıll have a lecture to look forward to this evenıng. The food in Turkey is wonderful, but I'll save that for the weekes to come. Stay well. Blessıngs...Mary

25 comments :

Diane said...

I just love the Oktoberfest, glad you are having such a good time. Keep well and enjoy everything while you can. Diane

From the Kitchen said...

At last--a postcard! Thanks. Ah, German pastries could solve a lot of the world problems don't you think? I love the story of a sleeping-on-the-floor sated three year old! Talk about visions of sugarplums!!

Best,
Bonnie

Adam said...

Wait... I'm 30 and sometimes I still find myself waking up on the floor with cookie crumbs stuck to my face... You saying that's not normal :)?
Have a great trip :)!

Flavia Galasso said...

MAry, glad to hear from you!!! HAve a wonderful trip in Turkey, hugs Flavia

StephenC said...

Love your travel reports! Continue having fun.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Glad to hear you are both having such a wonderful time Mary!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

So good to hear from you, Mary!!! I hope you are taking all kinds of pictures and will share them with us when you return? I remember the ones from last year and enjoyed them so much along with your stories. I don't know how you find these places and things to do! And I hope your daughter wasn't disciplined too harshly for her midnight feast, a stomach ache would have done the trick, I'm thinking!

Barbara F. said...

My mom used to tell me that Germans were the best bakers, and Austrians were also good cooks and bakers. This sounds like a fantastic trip! Germany and then Turkey. Martha Stewart had a travel show during the winter and she visited Cappadocia. The outdoor markets were terrific. Can't wait to read your post on this. xo,

Pondside said...

Ah Germany during Oktoberfest! Some of my favorite memories aren't of beer and wurst, but of Zwiebelkuchen and Neu Wein. Delicious memories!

Gina said...

Greeting from CA Mary, I had turkey last night, too bad it wasn't in Turkey. I hope you enjoy your trip.
-Gina-

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Mary! You lucky girl! Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to "taste" all the food!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time in Turkey. Too cool you're there for Oktoberfest. I'm sure it's crazy. Can't wait to hear all about your trip and see photos! xx

Velva said...

Enjoy your adventure in Turkey. The food is definitely wonderful.

Cheers.
Velva

Anonymous said...

Don't blame the daughter ... your cookies are yummy.You will have wonderfull time in Turkey.Already see you wondering on their markets;)
Can't wait for your reports from there;)

Eileen said...

Oh, how wonderful! Have a great trip!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a great time!

Lynn said...

So neat to hear from you Mary! I haven't been to Germany, I'm sure it's wonderful! Sounds like an amazing trip-enjoy:@)

Karen Harris said...

I've been wondering how your trip is going. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Safe travels!

Wacky Woman said...

My favorite trip ever was when I went to Turkey. Loved every minute. And you are so right; the food is terrific.

Marilyn

mia xara said...

Have a great time,Mary!XO

That Girl said...

Don't forget the pretzels!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely time! I wish I was with you :)

June said...

So great to "hear" from you. Hope you're having a fabulous time!

Banana Wonder said...

have a fantastic trip!

Elaine said...

What a delightful story! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and am looking forward to hearing more about your travels and the food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly