Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bibimbap



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Bibimbap is a mixed rice dish that comes from Korea. While it has many components, the dish is easy to make, delightful to eat and reduces small children to giggles as they play with its name and their food. It consists of a bowl of rice that is rimmed with sauteed vegetables and a bit of meat. It is topped with a fried egg that has a still runny yoke. When the dish is served, the yolk is broken and mixed with the other ingredients. It can be served hot or cold, and if you have the proper bowls, the rice can be sizzled to form a crust that adds a nutty flavor and still more texture to the dish. The ingredients I've used here are merely suggestions and you can swap vegetables and meat at will. The only real requirements for bibimbap are rice and red chili paste. The dish is mildly flavored and rice wine vinegar and chili paste are what give it some oomph. The fact that they are served separately makes this a great family dish and prevents the children's familiar "it's too spicy" wail. Speaking of children, there's more 'bapping" going on at the table than I like to hear. I have to run. I hope you'll give this a try. It is easy, fun and really satisfying. Here's the recipe.

Bibimbap...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of NickKindelsperger and Serious Eats

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided use
2 teaspoons sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
1/2 pound thinly sliced steak
2 eggs
1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
Handful bean sprouts
1/2 cup carrots, julienned
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup red pepper paste
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

Directions:
1) Combine soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a large bowl. Add beef and stir until coated. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, pour 1/2 tablespoon of remaining sesame oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Cook until they are tender and soft. Set aside. Add another 1/2 tablespoon of reserved sesame oil to skillet and add sliced zucchini. Cook it until it is tender, about 5 minutes or so.
3) Bring a few cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add bean sprouts and cook for about a minute. Drain in a colander.
4) Set a large skillet over high heat. When very hot add beef. Cook, stirring often until browned on all sides. Set aside.
5) Pour remaining tablespoon sesame oil into a non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Crack two eggs into pan and cook until whites are set, but yolk is still very runny.
6) To serve: Create individual piles of beef, mushrooms,zucchini, bean sprouts and raw carrots. Place a cup of hot cooked rice in the center of each of two of an individual serving bowls, then add a little bit of each of the other ingredients around the edges of the bowls. Top each with a fried egg. Serve with red pepper paste and rice wine vinegar to taste. When ready, break the yolk and twirl around the contents until well mixed. Yield: 2 servings.









One Year Ago Today: Glorious Green Food - Éirinn Go Brách















Two Years ago Today: Four Farls

28 comments :

Pondside said...

This looks so pretty on the plate!

Rumana Rawat said...

This looks so perfect and delicious.. even i have attempt once but it did not turned out perfect as yours:)

Coleens Recipes said...

VERY interesting, this is a new one for me.

Diane said...

That egg on top just makes it perfect. Mmmmmm Diane

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I will definitely need to keep my eyes open!!

Epicurea said...

i love bibimbap and it's so hard to find here! your version seems to be really accessible to the normal cook, so will try to make it at home!

Shug said...

a great name for this dish...I was surprised to see chili paste in this dish....of course, I know nothing about making a good dish great!
have a great day.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is one of my favorite dishes of all times. I love the variety and spices in this special Korean dish. Great job!

Renee Paj said...

My sil is Korean...and you really have my mouth watering for this! Love it!! Wishing I had some now. I've tried my hand at a few Korean dishes per her instruction....kimbap, bulgugi....but haven't made this one yet.

Kim said...

I never tasted bibimbap. And I should! I really have to find this korean sauce!

Barbara said...

Cute name, I can see why kids have fun with it. I've never heard of this dish, Mary, but we can get all the ingredients here, so I'll try it.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, my dear friend!

Chiara said...

This is a new one for me,I've never heard before.....Bibimbap,it's nice !have a great weekend, blessings...

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. I ate Bibimbap at a Korean restaurant last weekend for the first time. (I had it in a hot stone bowl so the rice was lovely and crispy on the bottom.) And I fell in love with this dish. Now I can try to make it myself.

From the Kitchen said...

Delicious! I can only imagine the looks on our diners' faces when I tell them the name of the dish!

Happy St. Patrick's Day. May the luck of the Irish be with you.

Best,
Bonnie

France@beyondthepeel said...

I've only had this once before at a korean restaurant. It was yummy. Thanks for sharing this with us. This is the type of dish we'd make at home.

David said...

Mary, Very interesting recipe! Sounds delicious. We love Asian cooking but we never seem to try it at home. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Big Dude said...

Looks very interesting and I can't make my mouth get the name. Since it is topped with a froed egg, I know I'd like it.

Claudia said...

This is the second time I've seen this dish and the second time I wanted it. The name is delightful and I love "throwing things together."

Rita said...

This recipe is a keeper; all the ingredients are such a good combination.
Thank you Mary.
Rita

Joanne said...

I've been eating a TON of eggs lately and I've seriously been craving a bibimbap-esque dish! This sounds perfect.

Jill Mant~a SaucyCook said...

This sounds delicious Mary and I will definitely add this to the menu in a couple of weeks when my grandson comes to visit to test your claim about the giggles!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for introducing bibimbap to your readers! It's definitely my favorite Korean dish. Bibimbap is getting very popular in U.S. Great post!

BeetleBuggy said...

I love Korean food and didn't realize making this was so easy. I have no excuse not to make this at home now!

Rhonda said...

What a fun looking food and a fun name, I'd love to make this.

My Little Space said...

This is a very interesting dish and looks delicious too. YUmmm....
Blessings
Kristy

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

This dish will make you full. Tasty and delicious =)

Unknown said...

Oh wow... I have had bibimbap and it was fantastic! I have a very good friend how's mother is Korean and she made this for us once. Thanks for posting this.. can't wait to try it!

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

I remember having this once and the egg was just perfect like yours...so delicious

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly