Monday, July 9, 2012

Retro Family Meatloaf




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Meatloaf isn't glamorous, but like most of you who have raised, or are raising a family, I can make one in my sleep. I have at least a dozen recipes for loaves of one type or another. Some are fancy and can rival the finest of French pates, but this effortless creation is the one that I relied on when I was working and all the chairs around my table were still occupied. It is one of the few recipes in my collection that relies on a dehydrated soup mix.  I gave myself absolution for using it years ago and I'm unapologetic about its use in this particular recipe. It simply works better than fresh onions in this meatloaf. I suspect the recipe originally came from the Lipton's test kitchens, but I have not been able to verify that or identify who else might have been responsible for its creation. It you can fill in the blanks, please let me know so I can properly credit the source.  The loaf takes about 10 minutes to mix, and if you form it into mini-loaves as I have here, you can have dinner on the table in just a bit over 30 minutes. If you prefer to bake it as a single loaf, use a 9 x 5 x 2-inch loaf pan to form it, but turn it onto a baking pan to bake for about 50 to 60 minutes. The freestanding loaf allows all surfaces of the meatloaf to be glazed and helps keep it  from sitting in the drippings that are released as it bakes. This recipe will make 6 servings. It can be doubled or tripled if you are feeding a gang. This makes an nice entree for a family meal. I know those of you who try it will appreciate the ease with which this comes together. It's a great recipe to make in the kitchen of a vacation rental. Here's how the meatloaf is made.

Retro Family Meatloaf...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 cup crushed buttery round crackers (i.e. Ritz)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (1-oz.) package dry onion soup mix (i.e. Lipton)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chili sauce(i.e. Heinz) or ketchup
3 tablespoons steak sauce
Glaze:
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) To make glaze: Combine chili sauce, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
3) Combine ground beef, crushed crackers, Cheddar cheese, and onion soup mix in a large bowl and mix until until well combined. Do not overmix.
4) Whisk eggs, ketchup, and steak sauce in a separate bowl until smooth. Add to meat and mix until evenly combined. If mixture seems too dry, add a little water. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions. Shape into cupcake size rounds or ovals and place on a baking sheet. Brush tops with half of glaze.
5) Bake in until mini-meatloaves reach 160 degrees F, about 20 to 25 minutes. brush again with reserved glaze. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Whole Wheat Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto















Two Years Ago Today: Corn and Radish Salad















Three years Ago Today: Green Beans with Sesame-Miso Sauce

26 comments :

Chiara said...

I love "polpette " is a perfect comfort food for everyone! Blessings...

Life's a shoe said...

you version doesnt sound boring at all! yumyum!

Diane said...

That sounds really yummy. Will try this out. Thanks. Have a great week. Diane

Martha said...

Sounds delicious, Mary! I think buttery crackers make the tenderest meat loaves. Yum!

StephenC said...

I'm going to name my next dog Retro. Those of us who survived the 50's did so having been fed dried soup mixes and Campbell's concentrates in various concoctions. I'm still here - it mustn't have been too terrible.

Ana Regalado said...

Meatloaf ?! Count me in ! :D Will try using buttery crackers when I make some patties next time !

From the Kitchen said...

I've been waiting for you to validate the use of a dried soup in a recipe or two so don't apologize!! I'm going to dig out a few of my retro recipes.

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Meatloaf always reminds me of my childhood - I didn't like it as much back then as I do now. And now, Chris does not like it so we do not have it often - guess that's pay back! lol

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I have a great respect for the recipe creators that corporate kitchens hire; for the most part, they are very creative! And meatloaf is, as you so well describe, a staple that can take on many guises, like the classic black dress. (And Ruth Reichl, I hear, loves meatloaf, too!)

Ellen B Cookery said...

This recipe sounds so flavourful. We love meatloaf in our home. It's quick and easy and makes for great leftovers. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Those "less glamorous" recipes are often my favorite. They just call back different memories. Looks delicious!

Kim said...

This meatloaf looks just like the one my mom used to prepare and I liked it, a lot!!!! thanks for the recipe, I shall give it a try in autumn!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Sounds terrific. My family does love a good meatloaf. When special requests are made - it is often an old family meatloaf recipe at the top of the list.

David said...

Mary, Nice looking individual meat loaves..! My preference is a sausage/beef combo but an all beef version provides a good alternative. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Unknown said...

I always forget about meatloaf, thanks for reminding me! Yours sounds wonderful!

Suzie said...

Nothing beats good old fashioned meat loaf/meatballs. I use the soup mixes too and make no apologies ;)

Mike said...

Had to comment when I saw the mention of "polpette" in the comments. I am used to adding them to soup. But they really do represent a single, perfect, bite. Makes sense that I would find it on this blog. Thanks!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

This is a very fancy meatloaf! Seems company worthy to me.

nanny said...

I love a good meatloaf. This recipe sounds delicious. I will use it for my next meatloaf....Thank you!!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

You can't beat that secret ingredient of onion soup mix in meat loaf. It is still my favorite after all these years.

Blond Duck said...

I love meatloaf!

Big Dude said...

It's hard to beat a good old fashioned meatloaf.

What's next said...

I have never tried adding the buttery crackers... will try this out soon, meatloaf if my husbands favorite!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes is one of my comfort foods which my daughter never turned on to. My mom always made hers with oats.

Lea Ann said...

I couldn't agree more about that soup mix. Works much better than chopped onions and you can't beat the flavor. Now I'm craving meat loaf. :) I have about 3 good recipes for it in my database. This is one, and you're probably right about it coming from Lipton.

The Single Nester said...

Looks like a very comforting food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly