Thursday, August 16, 2012

Roasted Peppers




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...While Americans tend to treat roasted peppers as a colorful addition to sandwiches, salads and pizza, they receive a more prominent role in Mediterranean countries, where they are served as a first course. It's pepper season here and because my eyes are bigger than my stomach, I now have a proverbial peck of them to pick. I've already done lots of canning and freezing, and the Silver Fox and I are connoisseurs when it comes to the use of piperade with chickens and their eggs, but I had never thought of serving peppers as a first course. It took Dorie Greenspan to set me straight. By way of explanation, I have to interject that I've never outgrown my childhood love of pictures. My attraction to cookbooks is, at least in part, based on the gorgeous photos they contain. The photo of her roasted peppers in Around My French Table, was a siren's song to me, and, like it or not, I was lured back into the kitchen to imitate, if not duplicate, what I had seen. While peppers can be roasted in a variety of ways, the recipe in her book utilized the oven. While I would normally use an outdoor grill, I wanted to follow her recipe as closely as I could, so, I used the oven and had great results. After the fact, I learned this recipe can also be found on her website, which you can link to here. She discusses various roasting times and techniques that you will find  very helpful if you choose not to use the oven. I used a variety of bell peppers to get the color pop I wanted, but I must say the red peppers are the sweetest of the lot and I'll restrict my use to them in the future.  I have a full compliment of herbs at this time of year, so I used the combination that was suggested in Dorie's recipe and I did use garlic. I can't imagine using olive oil without it. I served the peppers on small plates with knives and forks and had a basket of really good French bread to accompany them. It made for a great first course and I'll be serving this again. I love its simplicity and almost effortless assembly. The  peppers are a perfect way to begin a meal of plain grilled meat or chicken.  I hope you'll give this a try. Here's the recipe.

Roasted Peppers
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients:

6 large bell peppers (a mix of red, orange and yellow)
Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Assorted fresh herbs (a combination of parsley, basil, rosemary and thyme leaves)
1 to 2 garlic cloves, split
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

1) Move a rack to center of oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2) Wash and dry peppers, place on prepared pan and roast, turning every 15 minutes, for 45 to 60minutes, or until every side of peppers is blistered. Transfer peppers to a large bowl, cover bowl will plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and let rest until they are cool enough to handle.
3) While peppers cool, pull out a pyrex loaf pan, or, if you plan to use the peppers immediately, a large rimmed serving platter.
4) Working over a bowl, with 1 pepper at a time, remove stem and drain. Remove blistered peel and cut each pepper into 2 or 3 segments, depending on its natural separations. Scrape away seeds and ribs from inside. Place pepper pieces cut side down in loaf pan or on a platter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, strew with garlic and herbs of your choice, then pour some olive oil over layer. Continue until all peppers are in pan or on serving platter. Chill. Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.








One Year Ago Today: Lime Milk Shake

















Two Years Ago Today: Pumpkin Yeast  Rolls


















Three Years Ago Today: My Grandson Makes Scrimp Scampi with Cumin, Paprika and Sherry Vinegar

20 comments :

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Mary, you now know what effect your beautiful food images have on me!!! Siren's song!!!
Thanks for posting this roasting in the oven method for peppers! I hate charring them on the stove top or grill! I am making a really fabulous eggplant and roasted pepper recipe that is canned and I'm making my peppers in the oven!
You are a dear! I always love coming to visit!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Wow...These roasted pepper looks awesome...and really easy to prepare...Love the recipe..

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Mary, I love peppers. They bring such colour, and they don't taste so bad either!
Duncan In Kuantan

Lynn said...

Roasting peppers always seemed tricky to me, I'll try them in the oven the next time. Pretty appy:@)

Ellen B Cookery said...

Roasted peppers have always been a staple in our home. We tend to roast and freeze them during these months so that we can enjoy them throughout the winter. While I love adding a pepper or two to a dish, there's nothing like a roasted pepper with a drizzle of first cold pressed olive oil.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love serving these as a first course. Actually to me they are great as a meal with some crusty bread and cheese. Beautiful colors!

StephenC said...

I am blessed by having a gas range here in DC after decades of electric. Charring peppers over an open flame is the way to go for me.

Unknown said...

I love roasted peppers and, like you, would never have thought to have them as a first course. Can't wait to try this recipe!!

Kim said...

I can't eat pepper since a couple of years, but these looks good!!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Definitely a winning way with peppers.

Cranberry Morning said...

Mary, I love roasted peppers! I raise jalapenos, Carmens (beautiful dark red Italian!), and poblanos. Love the color, the heat, and the amazing taste roasted!

Ola said...

I love roasted peppers! it's a wonderfull way to keep a little bit of summer in a jar ;)

Dining Alone said...

This is a great idea, I think peppers are definitely fine for a first course. I am also a lover of photos and cookbooks.

Diane said...

Nothing tastes better than roasted peppers. Yum yum. Have a great day diane

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Love roasted peppers, though I've only used red ones and haven't tried the other colours. These are fantastic, and they practically go with everything! :-)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I love roasted peppers, and in the summer time when they're plentiful, this is one of my favourite things to have for a light lunch.

Chiara said...

These peppers looks tasty and easy to prepare,have a good day, blessings...

Susan..... said...

If you haven't yet you need to visit Tuscany. There you will have roasted peppers at every lunch and dinner table. In the summer we eat a dish of these at least once a week with a good bread and white wine.
People need to know how sweet these can be, so thanks for posting.

KLFoodBlog said...

Amazing! Love roasted peppers!

Joanne said...

I would be perfectly happy eating roasted peppers as a first course!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly