Monday, October 15, 2012

Sweet Potato Bread with Streusel




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This sweet potato bread comes from Cooking Light magazine. It is a riff on the ubiquitous pumpkin breads that are impossible to avoid at this time of year. This streusel topped loaf is pleasant enough, and if you are watching fat and calorie intake you might want to give this recipe a try. There is, however, a problem you should be aware of. The bread will be dry if the flour is not carefully measured. This recipe is definitely one in which you want to use the fluff, spoon and level technique for measuring your dry ingredients. If you scoop flour directly into a measuring cup, you will have a doorstop rather than a sweet bread. The loaf has a lovely texture and the streusel topping, which gives the bread real eye appeal, is also delicious. The bread itself is borderline bland and I think it needs some orange zest or more cinnamon and nutmeg to boost its flavor. I am posting the recipe as it was originally published because the changes I've suggested might not be to your taste. Here's how the bread is made.

Sweet Potato Bread with Streusel...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Cooking Light magazine

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces)
2 teaspoons butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Pierce potato with a fork; place on a paper towel in microwave oven. Microwave at high 7 minutes, turning after 4 minutes. Wrap potato in paper towel; let stand 5 minutes. Peel potato; mash to measure 1 cup.
3) Place butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at medium 20 seconds or until soft. Stir in pecans and 2 tablespoons sugar. Remove from oven and set aside.
4) Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine both flours with sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add mashed sweet potato, juice, oil, and egg, stirring until well blended.
5) Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drop pecan mixture by spoonfuls over top of loaf and gently press into batter.
6) Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Yield: 1 loaf to serve 8 to 12.







One Year Ago Today: Banana and Carrot Muffins















Two Years Ago Today: Coconut Bread


















Three Years Ago Today: Pumpkin Cake

17 comments :

Cheah said...

I believe the bread tastes awesome when eaten fresh, more so with the streusel.

Diane said...

I bet that is good, we love sweet potatoes. I grew a few very successfully this year so I was quite pleased with myself. Have a good week Mary. Diane

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks irresistible with the streusel.

Kim said...

It looks absolutely good this cake!!! Yummy!

Unknown said...

I bet this loaf was amazing! I love anything sweet potato! Thanks for the heads up on the flour measuring. I'm one that will not be as precise in baking..I'll have to slow down with this one!

From the Kitchen said...

We prefer sweet potato pie (my southern upbringing?) to pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread has been on my to-do list (isn't it obligatory?) but this sounds like a good alternative. I posted your delicious baked potato soup on my blog today. I'll be making it again soon as we really enjoyed it and the weather is calling for more soups!!

Best,
Bonnie

Rumana Rawat said...

Very very yummy..

Dining Alone said...

This looks great, I am such a bad baker that I will just admire this one because I know I'd end up with a brick :) Have a great week.

Priya Suresh said...

Marvellous bread, beautifully done.

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, What a beautiful seasonal bread. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I love the look and flavours in this delish bread :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Pam said...

This is a must try! It sounds delicious with that good streusel! Have a good week!

teresa said...

ooh, i've never had a bread with sweet potatoes, how yummy! it's beautiful too.

Joanne said...

I've been eying this loaf on myrecipes...time to get it into the oven! With extra cinnamon as you've suggested. :)

Unknown said...

I've got to try baking a bread of my own. All women should know how to bake even one recipe for their family. Am I right or not?
cisco switches

France@beyondthepeel said...

I would way prefer sweet potato bread over pumpkin bread. This looks amazing.

tender b. said...

Very nice with the streusel on top. Great idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly