Monday, May 13, 2013

Dutch Spice Cookies


My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, please let us know with an official  thumbs up.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Should you have any doubts, I am here to tell you that Murphy is alive and well and has recently been parked outside my kitchen door. I'll be swapping coasts come Wednesday and have been working on recipes to feature while I'm gone. Things were going swimmingly, until I heard a knock on my door and inadvertently let the devil  in. Shortly thereafter, I went to take  a tray of cookies from the oven and heard a wrenching screech as the door was opened.  It wasn't until I tried to close it that I realized the door springs had broken. Suffice it to say,  our repair man did not consider my plight an emergency, so the Silver Fox had to create a prop that would allow me to continue cooking. It is not a perfect solution, but God love him, it works and I was able to get  my work done. These cookies were among the treats that were baked with the propped oven door. The recipe for the cookies came from the Taste of Home Baking cookbook and while the cookies are delicious, the dough used to make them is very soft and difficult to work with, even when it is cold. The surface on which you roll the dough must be well-floured or you will not be able to transfer the cookies to trays for baking. If you like spicy, European-style, cookies you will love these. They are a bother to make, but they are delicious and keep really well. Here's how they are made.



Dutch Spice Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Baking

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons 2% milk
1 cup finely chopped slivered almonds

Directions:
1) In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour, spices, baking powder and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in milk and almonds.
2) Roll dough into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut into 2-inch squares. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3) Place squares 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 40 cookies.






One Year Ago Today: Vintner's Grape Cake














Two Years Ago Today: Spring Vegetable Soup














Three Years Ago Today: Greek-Style Yogurt Pie with Fruit Preserves
















Four Years Ago Today: Old-Fashioned Blackberry Pudding

16 comments :

Merisi said...

Love love love how your present the cookie in the picture - like a cloud on high, heavenly!

You are a very brave cook, to continue baking even in doubly tough times.
Wishing you a successful move, and much joy for the new beginnings,
Merisi

cara said...

They sound delicious! I broke the disposal yesterday so I'm right there with you!

Susan Lindquist said...

I love these cookies! When we lived in Germany I used to buy inexpensive packets of them at the local Aldi ... sticky dough or not, I am making these for this week's cookie jar treats! Thanks so much for this recipe, Mary! SB will love the blast from the past!

Susan Lindquist said...

PS ... Hope the kitchen door gets a quick repair!

Unknown said...

I love that you don't let a silly little thing like a broken oven door stop you from baking! That's true dedication :) And they look absolutely lovely!

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about the oven door, thats a full blown tragedy in your house, I know people who could get along just fine with no oven but certainly not you!The cookies sound like excellent dunkers, you know, in tea or coffee, yum!

Pondside said...

Thank goodness for husbands with imagination and 'can do' attitude!
You had me at 'spicy' and 'European'. There's nothing better with an afternoon cup of coffee.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Is your oven very old? You will have to tell us what the repair man says. I love Taste Of Home and used to subscribe, and get the big hardcover yearly cookbooks.

decocinasytacones said...

I just left you "I love your thought in your facebook page". I´ve been in Madrid for 5 days organising my baby girl´s new apt there.....really acting like a good mother, lol.
Love and have a great week!!!
Marialuisa

Tanna said...

It is a wonderful thing to share life with a resourceful soul. ;) blessings and safe travels, Mary ~ tanna

Angie's Recipes said...

With nuts and all the spices, these cookies must be very tasty!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Every time I want to go on a big vacation Murphy is usually right around the corner..2 days before I went to Greece the fuel pump went in my car and a week before Italy the brakes. Needless to say nothing will ever prevent me from going no matter how the universe aligns:D

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Well, hopefully Murphy has moved on - the cookies look great!

Alessandra said...

Good to have a hubby that comes to the rescue when baking is on the way with a clever instant fix! I love spicy Dutch cookies but I never thought of making them, thank you for sharing :-)

Ciao
Alessandra

We Are Not Martha said...

I just love that a broken oven doesn't stop you from making delicious-looking cookies! :)

Sues

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Delicious & full of flavors, looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly