Tuesday, January 21, 2014

An Easy Lazy Day Cake


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I have a split personality when it comes to cooking. Unlike a true foodie, I don't believe every morsel that I make for my family and friends has to take hours prepare or be made with only the finest and freshest of ingredients. I love to cook for those I love, and while I often spend hours in the kitchen, I don't feel that exhaustion is a measure of my affection for the folks who gather at my table. I guess that's how it happens that a kitchen that produces Veal Prince Orloff and has pressed a duck or two is also known for its Chili Mac. The recipe I'm featuring tonight is for a simple, old-fashioned snack cake that's topped with a coconut glaze. It is not meant for foodies. It's a lovely little cake that is inexpensive and almost effortless to make, but I must warn those of you who favor barely sweet desserts, that this one will send you into sugar shock. It really is meant for those who have a sweet tooth, a really sweet tooth. The are no tricks to making this cake, but I do want to remind you that this type of topping can burn in an instant, so please keep your eye on the cake when you put it under the broiler. I'm told that the cake is a good keeper, but I can;t speak to that as I've never had leftovers to deal with. I do hope that those of you who like sweet desserts you'll give this recipe a try. Here is how the cake is made. 




Lazy Day Cake with Coconut Glaze...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Baking

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
Topping
1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
3) Scrape batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
4) Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over warm cake. Broil 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts



                One Year Ago Today:                                                    Two Years Ago Today:
 Eggless Buttermilk Cake with Blackberries                           Foods to Celebrate Chinese New Year



                Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today: 
            Spaghetti with Lemon and Garlic                                                      Black Bread



7 comments :

Sarah Toasty said...

I know I can be a snob some time (a lot? yeah.) about how I need everything to be a project but I love a good quick bake. I'm not really a sweets kid so I always knock off quite a bit of sugar when I make things like this, bad baker lol looks great!

Kim said...

This is quite alike a cake my mom used to prepare! It was good!!! I may love good food but I love a good old fashion recipe too:)

Unknown said...

I'm with you, I don't think you have to put lots of hours and hard work into every meal to shower your family with love through food. It's better to spend less time in the kitchen producing something yummy, so you can spend more time with them, enjoying it!!
This cake sounds like it's right up my alley.. as I am a sweet, sweet, sweet tooth :)

Jessica Smith said...

This looks really yummy. Thank you so much for posting so many fun new recipes! I'm also looking forward to trying to ginger snaps soon! I love you blog :).

Arthur in the Garden! said...

Yummy!

Big Dude said...

"Easy Lazy Day" - these are the magic words for me.

David said...

Mary, This is a true 'southern' cake. Plenty sweet and moist! Sweet is big in the south... It looks absoloutely delicious! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly