Thursday, April 7, 2016

Banana Cinnamon Muffins


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I usually end up with more fruit and vegetables than are needed for the recipes I'm experimenting with. I blame it on the way recipes are written today. How many cups can be had from a large onion? How large is a large onion? How many sliced apples are needed to produce five cups, or better still, how many bananas are needed to a cup of puree? What exactly is a medium banana? I could go on forever, but I suspect we all overbuy our fruits and vegetables for fear that we'll run short and have to make an emergency trip to the grocery store. The banana is forgiving. Not all fruits are as amenable as an overripe banana, which even past its prime can be used to make delicious baked goods. I have a slew of recipes for nasty 'nanas. The recipe stash began when my children were babies and it continues to this day. Thanks to leopard-like bananas, long past their prime, I finally got around to making this muffin recipe from the Betty Crocker test kitchen. I'm so glad I did. These muffins are easy to make, deliciously moist and perfect for a special breakfast or brunch. I've started to spray paper liners when I use them for muffins or cupcakes, following a string of failures where the cake clung so tenaciously to the paper liners that it came off in unattractive clumps. I suggest you spray the liners if you use them for this recipe. These muffins are well within the skill set of novice bakers, and even kids, with a little supervision, can roll up their sleeve and serve these to the family. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. Here is how these muffins are made.


Banana-Cinnamon Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Betty Crocker test kitchen

Ingredients:
Muffins
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2/3 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 small)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups with shortening or spray, or line with paper baking cups. If using paper cups spray with nonstick spray.
2) In medium bowl, beat 2/3 cup sugar, oil and eggs with wire whisk. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in remaining muffin ingredients just until moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
3) Bake 17 to 21 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack.
4) In small bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Dip muffin tops into melted butter, then into cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm. Yield: 12 muffins.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                  Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting                                            Cherry Berry Buckle


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today:
           Catskill's Chocolate Mousse Pie                                      Stir-Fried Tofu with Bok Choy


3 comments :

Rafeeda AR said...

These would smell amazing while baking in the oven! Love the banana-cinnamon combination...

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

I absolutely know what you mean by the leftover vegetables and fruits - it's a constant battle I'm facing everyday, trying to clear them out before they spoil. The muffins look absolutely delicious and the cinnamon addition only makes it better!

We Are Not Martha said...

I love how forgiving bananas are :) I absolutely hate wasting produce, but it always seems inevitable for me because I have bad overbuying habits. Bananas can always fulfill their duties :)

Sues

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly