Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Shrimp Pad Thai for Two


                                        Today's thought for the day can be found  here.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Pad Thai is one of my favorite go-to meals and its simplicity makes it perfect to serve at the end of a busy day. While my recipe is a highly Westernized version of the real thing, it is quite satisfying and I think you will enjoy it. Strangely enough, this most popular of Thai dishes is not truly Thai. The dish is the result of political expediency and the vision of a political revolutionary, Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkramin, who in the late 1930's, thought noodles would be a means to advance his country's industry and economy. So, in addition to changing the name of his country from Siam to Thailand, he instituted a series of reforms that would begin the modernization of Thailand. His mandates included the use of forks and spoons, the wearing of more European-style clothing and the use of products made in Thailand. In the process, he created a new Thai diet that was rice based and led to the development of an industry that would make rice and rice-based noodles available for export. It's believed that modern versions of Pad Thai were based on a dish developed by his family's cook. To help battle unemployment, he sent push carts into the streets to introduce the meal to the masses. For a period of time, eating Pad Thai was considered to be a patriotic act and it became the dish most foreigners associated with the country. The irony is the dish is more Chinese than Thai and its resemblance to Vietnamese Pho can't be overlooked. What sets it apart from these other influences, however, is the Thai sense of equilibrium that keeps the sense of sweet, salty, and sour in balance. There are many versions of Pad Thai. Mine is not authentic, but it can be made with ingredients that can be found in most Western kitchens. It is fast, easy, delicious and all-together perfect for a warm summer night. Here is how it is made. I know you will enjoy it.

Shrimp Pad Thai for Two...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
4 ounces packaged rice noodles
5 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons fish sauce (such as Thai Kitchen)
1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided use
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 ounces raw peeled and deveined shrimp
2 eggs
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup sliced scallions
3 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, plus more for garnish (optional)
1 lime, cut into wedges
Fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions:
1) Soak noodles in water for 30 minutes or according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2) In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, fish sauce, vinegar and cayenne; set aside.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in eggs and scramble until barely set. Transfer to a plate.
4) Add remaining tablespoon of oil to pan. When it shimmers, add garlic and saute until fragrant, about30 seconds. Stir in shrimp and saute until they turn pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
5) Add noodles and 1/3 cup water to pan. Stir noodles for 3 to 4 minutes, until almost all the water is absorbed, Pour in fish sauce-brown sugar mixture and toss to coat noodles. Return shrimp and eggs to pan and stir to combine and warm. Add bean sprouts, scallions and peanuts, stirring to combine. Serve immediately with lime wedges and cilantro. Yield: 2 generous servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest









One Year Ago Today: Masa Cornbread
















Two Years Ago Today: A Proper Gin and Tonic
















Three Years Ago Today: White Wonder Cake

















Four Years Ago Today: Fee Fi Pho Bo

21 comments :

Vicki Bensinger said...

First of all I want to say Happy Birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day.

I just finished reading your about page on Google+ and thought it was wonderful. You're a great writer. It's taking me forever to write an about page for my new site that's launching next week and I'm still not sure I like it.

This Pad Thai looks beautiful I'd love to try it. I didn't realize you've posted 1000s of recipes on your blog let alone one each day. Pretty incredible!

Thanks for sharing all of this. Enjoy your special day!

Sunanda said...

Wow!! it looks so yummilicious.. Nice color

Life's a shoe said...

oh wow I really love pad thai and i've never tried making it yet. thanks for sharing the recipe!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This is a great recipe and gluten free, too. We use rice noodles often.

Fondly,
Glenda

Kim said...

Huge huge fan of pad thaï! I love your recipe for two!

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Looks so appetizing. If only I would learn to cook for two.

David said...

Mary, This shrimp pad Thai looks great. So far, we've never been able to hit the high notes with Asian food cooked at home. Maybe this one will do the job! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious. I would happily eat this for breakfast (yes, we eat noodles for breakfast over here in Malaysia), or lunch or even dinner! Thanks for sharing!
Hope you have a lovely week!

From the Kitchen said...

Pad Thai is the dish I judge Thai restaurants by. Even though common, it is one of my favorites. Coupled with a green papaya salad is perfection!

Best,
Bonnie

Daniela Grimburg said...

This shrimp pad Thai looks fantastic!
Love the history of the dish,very interesting.
Thank you for sharing Mary.

A Paixão da Isa said...

nao sei se é o seus anos mas se o for deseijo um feliz aniversario mt feliz em companhia dos seus esta massa nao conheço mas parece ser mt boa feliz aniversario se assim o for bjs bs

decocinasytacones said...

Yes, these simple recipes are the best ones after a hard day. I´m in my last teaching days....in a couple of weeks my children won´t come back until next Oct.
Loved the recipe.
Take care and have a great day
Marialuisa

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looks very good, I have never tried any before.

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

What a great recipe for two!!! Lovely!

scrambledhenfruit said...

This is one of my favorites, but I seldom make it at home. I may try it next time I have a craving- this looks delicious. :)

Betty said...

This is one of my favorites, but I seldom make it at home. Perhaps I'll try it the next time I have a craving. :)

Tricia Buice said...

Oh happy birthday Mary! I am ashamed to say I've never tried this dish but really want to! The recipe sounds pretty easy and looks delicious. LOVE your stories!

Unknown said...

I love Pad Thai... and as much as I love it, I have only made it once. The recipe I had wasn't all that great... maybe it's time to revisit it with a new recipe :) Thanks for posting, Mary!

Big Dude said...

We never cook Thai, but do occasionally visit the Thai restaurant in Maryville, so I've had this dish and enjoyed it. Yours looks delicious.

Tanna said...

You make this looks so delicious and sound so easy, Mary. Such a gift! blessings ~ tanna

Cindy said...

Thanks for the little bit of history! Thanks also for a dish for two (one can only eat so many leftovers!)
Looks delicious and I do have all the ingredients!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly