Sunday, June 16, 2013

Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This cake is an almost effortless dessert. It is assembled rather than backed, and while this version emphasizes coffee flavors, it lends itself to myriad flavor combinations. The recipe I'm featuring tonight was developed for Family Circle magazine and they dubbed it a tiramisu ice cream cake. Take that with a grain of salt. Save for the use of coffee and ladyfingers, the dessert bears no resemblance to the tiramisu that we've come to know and love. That's not to say this is not a delicious treat. I just think its been misnamed. While the cake needs to be frozen for 24 hours before it is served, it takes only 30 minutes to assemble. If you want your cake to have a neat layered appearance, it is best to fill the cake shell in stages, allowing one layer to freeze before the next is added. I suspect you'll need more whipped topping than specified in the original ingredient list. I need 12 ounces to top off my cake at the proper level. I have, on occasion, quickly dipped  the ladyfingers  into  in  an espresso syrup to soften them. It only marginally improves the flavor of the finished cake and truly is not necessary. The ladyfingers will soften as the cake freezes with, or without, the espresso bath. I hope you'll give this recipe a try. If you don't like coffee, make a Neopoliltan cake instead. Here's how the cake is made.

Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
22 soft ladyfingers
25 Nabisco thin chocolate wafer cookies, finely crushed (plus more for garnish)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 pint coffee ice cream
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 pint java chip ice cream
1 (8-ounce) container thawed whipped topping

Directions:
1) Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line sides with wax paper.
2) Place ladyfinger halves along side of pan, flat sides facing in. Combine cookie crumbs and butter. Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan. Freeze.
3) Allow ice cream to stand on countertop until softened. Transfer coffee ice cream to a bowl and stir until good spreading consistency. Remove ladyfinger-lined pan from freezer. Spread coffee ice cream on bottom. Repeat softening and spreading with vanilla and java chip ice creams. Top with thawed whipped topping.
4)Freeze overnight. Remove side of pan and wax paper. Decorate top of cake with crushed cookies. Yield: 12 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars














Two Years Ago Today: Sweet Berry Wine Sauce














Three Years Ago Today: Scallions and Asparagus Salad














Four Years Ago Today: Blackberry Sherbet

17 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This looks very good. Ella adores ladyfingers, too. I guess because I am old, I do not know what distinguishes Tiramisu, I need to look it up. I have had it and it is very delicious.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The word is from the Italian, meaning pick me up, or lift me up. It is the type of cheese and the cocoa that make it what it is, I think.

Alicia Foodycat said...

It does look good! I am a sucker for coffee desserts.

Unknown said...

This looks so, so good! I am not a coffee fan when it comes to sweets, but I can think of a lot of luscious combos, and have 2 pckgs of ladyfingers in the freezer that need using. Use of whipped topping in our home would be sacreligious, but I will happily sub whipped cream.

Mother said...

Bellissima ricetta, complimenti e sicuramente sarà buonissima!!
Ciao, Mother (Debora)

Life's a shoe said...

oh wow, looks mouthwatering

Joanne said...

What a stunning cake! And such a fun play on one of my favorite desserts.

Sugar et al said...

Tiramisu is my favourite and an ice cream version of that sounds wonderful. Love the combination of ingredients, simple to put together and looks great!

Dianne @ Sweet Journey Home said...

OMGoodness! I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee and thinking about what I wanted for breakfast and then I see this! As always, I enjoy your recipes and join in the quest for that "one perfect bite'!

Blessings,
Dianne

Chiara said...

Tiramisu is one of my favourite dessert !have a great week Mary, blessings...

A Paixão da Isa said...

miam miam adoro tiramisu o teu ele esta 5* e essa fatia humm adorei bjs e um feliz domingo

decocinasytacones said...

What an interesting recipe!. I agree with you though, the name doesn´t fit this recipe at all. If Italians see us freezing ice-cream and calling it Tiramisú later....they´d kill us, lol...
I have to give this a try, it looks great...
Love and have a great week, I´ll ve on vacation soon.
Kisses
Marialuisa

David said...

Mary, Great dessert! Not too hard to make but this will be a crowd pleaser... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Unknown said...

Oh my word is that just the most decadent looking thing I have seen all morning! YUM!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness this cake looks amazing!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Looks so good, Mary, and perfect for a summer dessert!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mary, I just made this for my daughter's birthday and I can't wait until she sees (and tastes!) it. I used coffee, dark chocolate and dulce de leche ice cream (her favorites) and put chocolate decorations on top. It looks amazing. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly