Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Blackberry Sherbet - A Three Ingredient Wonder



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite... Is it ice cream, gelato, sherbet or sorbet? There're a lot of names for frozen desserts, but do you know the difference between them? Here are the basics. Ice cream is a frozen mixture of cream, milk, flavorings and sweeteners. Air is introduced to the mixture during the whipping process and up to 60% of its volume is air that will give it a light and fluffy texture. Ice creams are divided into categories depending on how much butterfat they contain. A premium ice cream has an 11% to 15% butterfat content. Regular ice cream contains 10% to 11% butterfat. A light ice cream contains 50% less fat or 33% fewer calories than the regular ice cream. Gelato is Italian style ice cream. It differs from American ice cream in the amount of air that is beaten into it during the whipping product. Gelato contains less air than it's American counterpart (20% air for gelato and up to 60% air for ice cream). As a result it is denser and more intensely flavored than ice cream. Sorbet is made from fruit purée that is whipped and frozen and can include additional herbs and flavorings. It contains no milk or cream. Sherbet is a fruit based ice that has milk added for creaminess, but, by law, it can contain no more than 2% butterfat. Today's recipe is a sherbet that's made from a blackberry purée and buttermilk. This cream has an intense berry flavor. While it breaks my heart to say this, this sherbet is really not for children unless they are outdoors and wearing swim suits. It melts quickly and it will stain. The sherbet uses just 3 ingredients and can be made without an ice cream freezer as long as it is kept very cold. The recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine.

Blackberry Sherbet
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
4 cups fresh or thawed frozen blackberries
1 to 2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups low-fat buttermilk

Directions:
1) Place berries in bowl of a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add 1 to 2 cups sugar (dependent on your sugar quotient) to puree and process until well combined. Strain mixture, discarding seeds and pulp. Stir in buttermilk. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch dish. Freeze until edges of mixture begin to firm, about 2 hours. Stir and return to freezer. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours longer.
2) Just before serving, scrape mixture into bowl of a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Scrape mixture into 8 (6-oz.) bowls and serve. Alternatively, return to 9 x 13-inch pan and freeze again. Scoop into bowls with an ice cream scoop. Yield: 8 servings.

45 comments :

My Little Space said...

I just love it!I wish I can easily get all these berries over here, with lower price!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

And I love them all!! That really looks delish and the photo couldn't be more perfect. Great job!

(wife.) said...

you have made my day with a sherbet/sorbet/ice cream recipe that doesn't need an ice cream maker!!! thank you!! :-D I love your blog and have delicious-ed so many of your recipes.

Fifi Flowers said...

YUM... I have been making similar recipe for my kids lately... milk, sugar and various frozen fruits... yummy and no preservatives... I feel like I'm serving them healthy ice cream or ice milk since I make it with milk???

The Food Addicts said...

Oh I can't wait to try this I have some blackberries in my backyard although they are not quite ready yet. This past weekend I made lemon mango sorbet. It was great but I think I will enjoy the blackberry sherbet more.

Mary Bergfeld said...

wife, I'm glad you've found us. I hope we can keep you coming back for more.

Taste of My Life said...

Yummy! Well done! Love your blog and recipes.

Selba said...

I'm learning more about the difference between ice cream and gelato, all this time, I thought it's only about the language (English and Italian).

The Blackberry sherbet must be wonderful especially for summer season :)

tina said...

OO..recipe and pix look so yummy. Will wait for it to get a bit warmer and I'll try it.

And on another note, I think your grandsons are all so handsome!

Ning said...

I don't have an ice cream maker, but I do have a food processor. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to use this method for our future sherbet adventures. :)

Mozi Esme said...

This looks decadent. Your whole blog looks decadent!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful photo. Wish I could just dig my spoon right in!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Since I can ony buy buttermilk in quarts, often after I have used my cup or two, the rest gets tossed for lack of recipes. WOW, have you changed my thinking on that in the last week. Thank you so much.

Ginger said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks for all the info. I am constantly trying to figure out what Gelato is and now I know. Your blog just gets better and better (if that is even possible?) I am DEFINITELY going to try tthe Blackberry Sherbet!! Have a great day....

Haden News said...

I can't wait to try this. I love that it only had 3 ingredients! Thanks for the recipe.

Martha said...

When my freezer gets empty and I can put my ice cream maker in it, this will be my first!

Maria said...

Love easy recipes like this one. What a great treat for summer!

Heather S-G said...

Just three ingredients and it looks so amazing! Thanks for the info...it's seriously something I find myself wondering about...now i know :)

theUngourmet said...

I have never tried to make anything like this. It looks so terrific! I bet the flavors of the blackberries and buttermilk in this are heavenly!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Dan and Krissy, I'm so glad you found us. I hope you'll visit often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Tina, I know you don't blog so I can't return your visit. I'll say hello here. I do hope you'll visit often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Taste of my Life, I visit your blog on a regular basis. It is a thrill to see your comments here on mine. I hope you'll be a regular visitor.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You stole my Sherbet!! hehe ... well except you're using a lot more sugar than I do.
Seriously, we really enjoy a simple frozen fruit like this and buttermilk and Greek yogurt are always my two go to favorites.
I didn't realize that about the 2% butterfat for the sherbet; excellent run down on the differences.

And in answer to your question about the asparagus in the bread: it kept just fine in the bread box for the two days it lasted.

Taste of My Life said...

Hi Mary,
I visit your blog regularly as well. It is my great pleasure to blog with you!

Pam said...

What a fantastic photo. I love that this only has three ingredients - it looks great Mary.

Kathlyn said...

Ice cream w/o an ice cream maker - genius! So excited to try this over the summer.

Justin said...

no way could this really be so easy...

Usha said...

This sorbet sounds delightful !

Mary Bergfeld said...

Justin, yes way. The only thing you need is patience. You do have to wait for it to chill and freeze. You can make any ice cream without an ice cream freezer if you have patience and are willing to manually whip it several times.

Karen said...

Blackberries and buttermilk... interesting combination. My mouth was watering just looking at the dish!

The Blonde Duck said...

It just looks tasty to me!

NKP said...

Good to know the fine separation between frozen treats!
The blackberry sherbet looks great, I have vowed today to make ice cream and related treats more often.

pam said...

I am a huge fan of sorbets! This sounds wonderful, and thanks for the great lesson on all things frozen!

Unknown said...

This looks amazing!

sunnymama said...

Mmmm! You have the most delicious blog, my mouth waters every time I visit :)

Puna said...

I love this! And that bowl is fantastic.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Puna, I'm so glad you found your way to One Perfect Bite. I do hope you'll visit often.

Lori said...

Sherbet- Here in these parts people pronounce it sure-bert. I try to tell them it's sure-bit. But they insist. Oh well. Do you all pronounce it with an r in there?

This looks so amazingly yummy. I think really my favorite is sherbet. Ice cream is grand but it makes my stomach feel yucky sometimes. I like just a little cream and whew the results are always amazing.

Chef Fresco said...

I've always wondered the best way to describe the difference b/t gelato and ice-cream - thanks for the explanation! This sherbet looks amazing!

Elle said...

Great seasonal recipe! We are just starting to get ollalieberries, which will work well in this recipe. Thanks!

Sara said...

This looks yummy, and it's fairly low fat if you use low fat buttermilk. I love blackberries!

susan said...

Mary--This is absolutely next on my list of things to do! I love blackberries (used to eat them with sugar and milk as a kid!) Now, If I could just find a place to pick them besides the produce aisle--even the farmers' market is expensive!

Kathy said...

Delicious, thank you for all this info I am now off to the freezer I know there is a tub of Gelato in there :-). happy summer days, Kathy.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a simple dessert and it looks so tasty too!

test it comm said...

Such a simple ingredient list and it looks so good! Great colour!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly