Thursday, January 15, 2015

Parmesan and Parsley Biscuits


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This recipe is over a decade old. It originally appeared in Bon Appetit magazine and I pull it out at this time of year when I want to make something different to serve with soup and stews. I've cut the ingredients for the biscuits in half because I found the published version of the recipe, seen here, made 24 2-inch biscuits which I think you'll agree is a tad extreme for two people. While the directions that I'm sharing for the biscuits are old school, they can be made in a food processor if you are busy, so inclined or both. The biscuits are delicious when served hot from the oven, but they are, unfortunately, not good keepers. I suggested you use finely ground black pepper if you decided to try them. Coarse cracked pepper does not disburse well through the other ingredients and the play of the pepper and the cheese is what makes these biscuits out of the ordinary. The Silver Fox slathers his with butter, but I think they are flavorful enough to eat out of hand. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. I know you'll enjoy the biscuits. Here is how they are made.


Parmesan and Parsley Biscuits...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Bon Appetit magazine

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, divided use
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or chives
1/2 cup (or more) chilled whole milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly sprinkle heavy large baking sheet with flour.
2) Combine flour, 3 tablespoons cheese, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix in parsley. Gradually add 1/2
cup milk, tossing with fork until moist clumps form and adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if mixture is dry. 3) Gather dough into ball. Press out on lightly floured work surface to 4-inch round, about 1 inch thick. Using 2-inch diameter cutter, cut out biscuits. Repeat, gathering and pressing out dough and cutting biscuits until all dough is used.
4) Arrange biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons cup cheese.
Bake until biscuits are puffed and light golden and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Transfer biscuits to towel-lined basket and serve warm. Yield: 12 biscuits.

Print Friendly and PDF

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                 Two Years Ago Today:
               Light Caraway Rye Bread                                        Honey and Poppy Seed Hearts


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                Four Years Ago Today:
              Tremleque - Coconut Pudding                                      Crock-Pot Southwestern Stew

6 comments :

We Are Not Martha said...

I haven't made biscuits in way too long and these ones look like perfection!!

Sues

Big Dude said...

Your had me with the title and after the photo I am hungry for breakfast.

David said...

Mary, I love a good biscuit and adding parmesan to the mix can only enhance my enjoyment! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could cut the recipe in half again. 12 biscuits is still to many for the two people at my house.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Anonymous - that's exactly what I do when I make these. I agree that 12 biscuits is more than 2 people will eat.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea said...

Those biscuits look VERY fluffy! And of course the butter in the picture is entrancing for those of us who limit but love butter. Sigh. I like biscuits a lot and this is mighty fine version of how to change them up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly