Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crock-Pot Southwestern Sausage and Hominy Stew

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The third recipe in this month's crock-pot series would be given a pass, if pass/fail were the only grading options available. Were I to continue with the baseball analogy used with the other recipes we've featured so far, I'd call this a double play. Let me immediately add that there is nothing wrong with this dish. As a matter of fact, if there are teens in your house it might become a family favorite. My problem is that I think the recipe used to make this very basic dish is contrived. You don't really need a slow cooker to prepare it. This earthy casserole can be simmered stovetop or cooked in a microwave at the same time the rice that accompanies it is made. This is not a dish that needs to simmer for hours at a low temperature. You may want to prepare it that way, but it is not necessary and will add very little flavor to the finished dish. Most of the ingredients used in this stew come from cans and, like all dishes of this type, it is super simple to make. Texture in the dish is provided by the add-ons found at the end of the recipe. Don't forget them. The mango is used to brighten the flavor of the stew. If you don't have one, you can substitute a sweet apple or pear and get nearly the same affect. I think that those of you who are looking for crock-pot or slow cooker recipes will like this a lot. It's easy to do and very affordable. Here's the recipe.

Crock-Pot Southwestern Sausage and Hominy Stew...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann as featured in their book Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups prepared salsa, medium or hot (I recommend hot)
1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper (1-inch pieces)
1 cup coarsely Chopped yellow pepper (1-inch pieces)
1 (10-oz.) bag frozen corn, thawed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (15.5-oz.) can white or golden hominy, rinsed and drained
1 (12-oz.) package smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
2 tablespoons tequila
For Serving:
3 cups hot cooked long-grain white or brown rice
1/2 cup crushed tortilla Chips
1 medium-large ripe mango (10 to 14-oz.) peeled and sliced off the pit
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped green onion (white and tender green)
3/4 cup sour cream

Directions:
1) Combine salsa, bell peppers, corn, chili powder, hominy, sliced sausage and tequila in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
2) To serve, divide rice among 4 bowls; top each serving with stew, crushed chips, mango slices (I diced my mangoes), cilantro, green onions and a big dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.

Your might also enjoy these recipes:
Taco Pie - Home Cooking Rocks
Chicken Chilaquiles - Baked Cupcakes
Stacked Green Chile Enchiladas - My Baking Heart
Shortcut Chili Colorado - Shamrocks and Shenanigans
Mexican Lasagna - And Then I Do the Dishes
Posole - Around My Family Table

36 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have noticed that quite a few crock pot dishes can be cooked on the stovetop in much less time. But for women who work all day, it still is a wonderful time saver.

Yaya' s Home said...

Now, see? You jus' hadda' go an' cook with sausage, din't you? I SO don't care for sausage. In fact, that reminds me of an incident that I will hafta' be sure an put on my blog, sometime.

I thought I was Following you, but I must have commented without remembering to click Follow. Sorry 'bout that. I've corrected that oversight, now.

Now, all I hafta' do is see if I can talk my good hubby-buddy into makin' this recipe with some other kinda' meat. Who knows? Could happen. *grin*

By the way, the Word Verification word for the moment is 'frogr'. I'm feelin' a little froggy.

~ Yaya

Pondside said...

I'll have to google hominy - it's not something I've ever seen up here. Sounds intriguing.

Regina said...

Looks delicious!
Enjoy your weekend Mary.

Unknown said...

Hey,

Looks yumm and delish...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

nesrin said...

Sieht lecker aus. Grüsse...

Jeannie said...

Looks delicious with lots of colours making it a very attractive dish...cooked with crockpot or otherwise, I am sure it will be a favourite in my home, cos the boys love sausages.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Whether it is made in a crock or not it is a very comforting dish Mary.

Joanne said...

I actually think I would love this dish but I blame that on the fact that I'm in love with stews these days. THere's something about one-pot hearty meals that's so appealing right now. I would probably make it on the stove though. Faster is key.

Tasha said...

I have a thing for hearty stews, southwest flavors AND smoked turkey sausage, so this looks fantastic!

nic said...

this looks amazing--hearty and perfect comfort food for mid-winter. i'm glad to hear it can be simmered on a stove instead...thanks for that tip!

Julie said...

I am so loving the posts from this book. I can decide what I want to try.

Not sure if you've looked at the French Onion Soup or not. I made it this week and it was AMAZING. Not sure I will ever make it stove top again. I will be posting soon.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I am loving the crockpot recipes! This looks delicious.I love the addition of the mango...I bet it gives this stew an amazing flavor. Yummy! :)

lena said...

though i'm not quite familiar with this dish,it looks good to me and i think it's a very homely and traditional dish that many can enjoy it at home.

Cooking Creation said...

Wow, that looks good! I had to google hominy -- never heard of it!

From the Kitchen said...

There's something freeing about putting everything together, turning on the crock pot and walking away. That said, I hesitate to do so and leave the house. Maybe that's why, even when I worked outside our home, that I've used the crock pot very seldom. Your dish has delicious eye appeal and the ingredients sound quite tasty.

Best,
Bonnie

Claudia said...

I have never cooked with hominy either - I know of it - but it's off my radar. But the turkey sausage with salsa and peppers has my attention!

Kath said...

Looking at the recipe, I agree that it could be made equally well stove-top. I would have loved making it in a slow cooker, though, back in the day when the girls had softball games. We'd get home between 7:00 and 8:00 and the whole family needed to eat NOW!

PeggyR said...

I have not made stew yet this season or chili, so that's on my list of things for cooking! Sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Mary, this looks very delicious. Now I'm thinking of a variation for vegetarians. Thanks :)

Diane said...

This looks really good, must give this a try. Diane

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious and tempting stew..

Kerstin said...

Since I don't have a slow cooker, that's a plus for me :) I love one pot comforting meals like this on in the winter -yum!

xinex said...

Mmmm, I love mango and any food prepared with it....Christine

teresa said...

i've found that with a lot of recipes too, it just doesn't seem like it's necessary to have it slow cooking all day. this looks so good, i just love the combo of foods. i hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Lea Ann said...

Really nice photo! This combination sounds delicious, slow cooked or not. Nice recipe.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks for stopping by, I'm happy that you stumbled on my blog, because that made me find yours!

I have to love any place that has "hominy" written on the front page....

Lovely blog, lovely photos and great recipes, what more could a girl ask for?

I haven't cooked with a crockpot since my kids were young, but I did a lot of crockpot cooking when I was a single mom, working full time and raising two teenagers. Maybe I should get it out of storage and dust it off for old time's sake. A nice warm stew would certainly taste good tonight...

Kim said...

It is so true that this recipe is probably a real winner with teenagers because of all of the flavors. I like it in the crock pot or not:) Have a nice evening!

Ana Powell said...

Such a comforting dish x

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love your honest review, Mary and I love hominy. Grew up with lots of it.

Enjoy your weekend.

Fondly,
Glenda

cocoa and coconut said...

I love that mango is in this! We have a huge mango tree in our garden.

Nancy said...

I really enjoyed this post and the fact that you were honest about your experience cooking the recipe!! Definitely a great recipe to have in one's collection - versatile, delicious and easy!!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Even if you don't have to use the crockpot for this, I still think it's nice to come home to a house that smells wonderful with dinner all ready. I'm putting this in my crockpot file. :)

My Little Space said...

Mary, I think my boy would love this sausage stew. It sounded scrmptious and easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
Cheers, Kristy

CaSaundraLeigh said...

This sounds fabulous! I'm not sure I've ever tried hominy..this could be my perfect chance! :-)

A Canadian Foodie said...

What a gorgeous recipe... and I can imagine how lovely it tastes. I like how it isn't so thick, too - and the colour is beautiful.
I am definitely translating this recipe to make in my Thermomix. I will let you know how it goes.
Thank you so much!
YUM!!
:)
Valerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly