Thursday, May 7, 2015

Maple Pudding


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Would that I could claim I've tapped a tree or two. That might explain my fondness for maple flavoring, but truth be told, I'd probably not recognize a sugar maple if I walked into it, so I can't claim that's the case. When my children were very young, the first snow fall of the season meant there'd be a pot of soup on the stove, bread in the oven and maple pudding chilling in the fridge. The sweetness and distinctly maple taste of the pudding was a perfect way to end a meal on a blustery winter day. The trouble was, we so liked its flavor that it made its way to our summer table where it also ended meals following a day on the water. Others might choose plain vanilla, but when it cane to pudding, we definitely were maple people. This is an easy dessert and its preparation is so simple that children can make it. I still make this pudding for the Silver Fox and because the recipe can be scaled for two, we have it often. It is best to make the pudding with grade B maple syrup. While the original recipe uses vanilla extract, I use maple extract to further heighten the flavor of the pudding. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. Here is how this simple pudding is made.



Maple Pudding
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Good Housekeeping magazine

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups whole milk, divided use
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1) In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the milk with cornstarch until smooth.
2) In a 3-quart saucepan, heat remaining 1-1/2 cups whole milk, maple syrup, butter, maple extract, and salt until boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
3) Reduce heat to simmer. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to glasses, cover, and chill until cold. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Cook's Note: This pudding is best eaten the day it is made.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts



                One Year Ago Today:                                                   Two Years Ago Today:
    Old-Fashioned Peach Coffee Cake                                      Layered Mocha Cheesecake



        Three Years Ago Today:                                                        Four Years Ago Today:
      Pork with Black Bean Sauce                                          Hot Brown and Devonshire Sandwiches

2 comments :

We Are Not Martha said...

I love all things maple, so I have a feeling this pudding would be right up my alley!

Sues

Carol at Wild Goose Mama said...

Wow, this has to be THE most wonderful pudding. I am a pudding fiend. Maple pudding --- What a TREAT. I had to pin it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly