Friday, September 19, 2008

Crock-Pot: Thai-Style Sweet and Sour Chicken



I have a love-hate relationship with my crock-pot. I love it's energy efficiency and convenience, but I hate what it does to the texture of food. This recipe sidesteps the texture problem and produces an unusual sweet and sour chicken designed to please slightly more sophisticated palates. It will garner rave reviews - it actually got "two thumbs up" from my grandsons! If you like the classic flavors of Thai food and are a bit adventurous, you'll love this recipe. It's easy to assemble, inexpensive and delicious. Give it a try.

Thai-Style Sweet and Sour Chicken

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided use
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (5-oz.) can sliced, peeled water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (divided use)

Directions:
1) To make sauce, combine ginger, garlic, and 2 tablespoons oil in a small microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH power for 1 minute, or until mixture sizzles and is fragrant. Stir in sugar, vinegar, ketchup, lime juice, red pepper flakes and fish sauce.
2) Spray insert of a 5 to 6-quart crock-pot with nonstick spray. Cut each chicken thigh into 4 pieces. Place chicken, cornstarch, and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt in crock-pot. Toss to coat chicken. Add tomatoes and sauce; stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Mix reserved 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Stir into crock-pot. Stir in water chestnuts and 1/2 cup cilantro. Cover and cook until sauce thickens. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm printing this out. I love crock pot recipes and I have all the ingredients to make this, even the fish sauce. I have a hug bottle of fish sauce that was in a Thai gift basket from a cook-off last year. Now is my chance to use it.

The potato cakes look fantastic, too.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, you can make this in a crock pot! Nice potato cakes also.

Martha said...

Mary -- I'm not in love with my crock pot either -- it's main purpose is to keep chili or soup warm if you need to make it somewhere IMO -- but both DH and I LOVE Thai food and I will have to try it soon -- on one of those busy days!

Thanks for the recipe.

Martha

Anonymous said...

This looks so tasty! Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks

Patsyk said...

I currently "hate" my crockpot... everything turns out so stringy in it. This recipe looks good, maybe I'll give the crockpot another try.

Maria said...

Looks like a great dinner to me!

Prudy said...

I feel the same way about slow cookers. I love that you made the sauce in the micro instead of using a pot. Whenever a slowcooker recipe wants me to dirty a pot, I always think why should I bother with the slow cooker? This recipe looks like a wonderful slow cooker recipe.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Erin,

The best part of using a microwave is that you can use the crock-pot insert to soften the vegetables. That way there is one less bowl, as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly