Saturday, November 1, 2008

Thai Sweet Chile Noodles


Today I'm moving from the Mediterranean to Southeast Asia for a delicious noodle dish. There are always noodles, in one guise or another, in my refrigerator. These mildly hot, orange-flavored Thai noodles are delicious and good as an accompaniment or a stand-alone meal. I especially like to serve them with plain grilled meat or chicken. They have the added advantage of being ridiculously easy to make. This recipe is based on one developed by the chef at Caprial's (Pence) Bistro. These are, in my opinion, best served at room temperature or slightly warm. These are worth a try and come highly recommended. They are table ready in 15 minutes.

I'm sending this recipe to Ruth at Once Upon A Feast who is hosting this week's Presto Pasta Night event.

Thai Sweet Chile Noodles

Ingredients:
12 ounces dried Chinese egg noodles or spaghetti
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 cup peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (optional)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Thai sweet chile sauce (i.e. Mae Ploy)
Chopped scallions, red chiles and cilantro for garnish, optional

Directions:
1)In a stockpot over high heat, bring about 8 cups of water to a boil. Add salt and noodles; cook until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large bowl. Set aside.
2. While noodles cook, whisk peanut oil, garlic, ginger, orange juice and zest, orange concentrate (if using), soy sauce and chile sauce in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss well. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped scallions, chiles and cilantro, if using. Serves 4-6.

16 comments :

Taste the Rainbow said...

One of my weakest areas of cooking is Thai food.

This recipe looks easy and delicious, so I will be doing it one night this week.

Thanks Mary!

Mary/saff/Boston

Mary Bergfeld said...

Good morning, Mary. I love it when you stop by. The noodles are really good - trust me.

Cookie Madness said...

I stopped by to say sorry you had no trick-or-treaters. Next year, you'll probably buy very little candy and have a bunch! Isn't that the way it goes.

Anyway. I'm glad I stopped by because this noodle dish looks like something Todd & Emma would love. I'm going to buy all the ingredients today.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Anna, thanks for stopping by. Come again - whenever.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Nice dish and i love your homemade challah.

dp said...

This looks like a very family-friendly, week-night friendly dish. I'd like to try it with rice noodles.

And of course I love Thai food :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Darlene, I'm so glad you stopped by. Rice noodles will work if you don't overcook them. I like this dish with a noodle that 'bites back', so, too, soft would not be good. The gals/guys here know my noodle dishes are designed for the novice. Folks like yourself can teach them the real thing once their palates are ready. I'll be writing a bit about the election on Monday; hope you'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary! You are truly talented! Did you say you have a grandson.. OH my, you do not look young enough to have a grandson.. what a cutie... "hugs"!

I am seriously say WE had no trick or treaters but the neighborhood does try and organize western holidays which is lovely.. although the stores are all lined with Halloween and shops sell Pastry goods by the heaps -- I was able to eat Pumpkin Mont blac... Keep the recipes coming, very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

opps sorry for the misspellings... I should not be allowed to blog this early = )

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog--the recipes are great. I really love your music choices, also. Sometimes I put your blog on just to hear the music. I love them all.

Great choices!

Jules
http://allthatsparkles.typepad.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jules, welcome to my blog. Please come often.

Meg said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I love Sweet Thai Chili sauce!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Meg, thanks for stopping by. The noodles are really good. If you like sweet chile sauce uou'll love them.

Peter M said...

The sweet and savory are played well here. Thai food was my 1st "exotic" jump food I ever tried.

Allie said...

Looks delicious as all of your recipes do!

Ruth Daniels said...

I love this dish! What else is there to say, except...I'll be making this very soon.

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta NIghts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly