Saturday, December 20, 2008

Crepes with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce


The worst of the weather is over, but our driveway is coated with ice and that means we're marooned on our hillside for the evening. Ah, well! It's a perfect night for a fireside supper, so there's a pot of onion soup on the stove and Portuguese bread in the oven. I'm tending to a rum sauce while my crepe batter rests. I thought I had a stack of crepes in the freezer but they're nowhere to be found, so I'm here, last minute, making a batch for dessert. This is a lovely treat for family and close friends. It's not hard to do - the component parts take time to prepare, but I promise the end result will be worthy of your effort. The crepes are great for cold winter nights and, if you're so inclined, give them a place of honor on your Fat Tuesday table. They can be sauced as you please.

Crepes with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup + 2 tablespoons instant blend flour (i.e. Wondra)
5 tablespoons superfine sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup water
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, divided
1 cup + 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup dark Jamaican rum
Butter flavored nonstick cooking spray
Garnish:
1 cup whipping cream or vanilla ice cream

Directions:
1) Combine flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 2-quart mixing bowl. Combine milk, water, egg yolks, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and 5 tablespoons melted butter in a 1-quart mixing bowl. Gradually beat liquids into flour with a whisk or wooden spoon. Blend well but do not over beat. Let sit for 30 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 cup butter, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a heavy bottomed 2-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Use a small funnel to transfer sauce into a plastic squeeze bottle. Place bottle in a pan of warm water.
3) For each crepe, lightly mist an 8-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Set pan over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Remove pan from heat. Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter into pan; rapidly tilt to coat bottom of pan with batter. Cook for about 1 minute, or until crepe loosens from bottom of pan. Flip crepe and cook for 1/2 minute longer. Transfer to a plate. Repeat process until all batter is used.
4) Crepes can be assembled 1 to 2 hours before serving. To assemble, spread about 2 teaspoons rum sauce on a salad-size plate. Place a crepe, best side down, on plate. Spread topside with 2 teaspoons rum sauce. Fold crepe in half, then in half again to form a wedge shape. Place on a rimmed microwavable serving platter. Repeat process for each crepe, overlapping slightly to form a spiral pattern. Set aside.
5) When ready to serve, if using whipping cream place cream, place reserved 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a chilled 1-quart bowl; beat until soft peaks form. Transfer to a serving bowl. Place crepe platter in microwave and cook on HIGH power for 20 seconds. Remove from oven. For each serving, transfer 2 to 3 crepes to an individual dessert plate; drizzle with additional rum sauce and garnish with a dollop of cream or a scoop of ice cream. Yield: 16 to 18 crepes.

12 comments :

Martha said...

Mary, I just got over my "fear of crepes" -- I'll have to try yours next time.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Hot buttered rum sauce . . . I'm there!

Deepthi Shankar said...

they look perfect

NKP said...

Oh my, these look wonderful!
I am enjoying listening to Sheryl Crow's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah on your site! I am a lifelong fan of his and saw him in concert in June. A highlight of my life.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting me. U have such a beautiful blog... I was reading thru some of your posts. They are so sweet & personal. I am adding u to my bloglist.

Loved the crepes & also just loved the sound of Onion soup & portuguese bread. Feel like having a bowl full in front of the fireplace. what a perfect picture.

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely this would be! Sorry you are stuck, we made it out of Oregon with a blizzard blowing at PDX on Wednesday...back in California now for a bit. These will get you through the storm.

The Blonde Duck said...

At least you've got those tasty crepe to keep you warm! They look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Hot Buttered Rum Sauce before, much less considered serving over Crepes. We love Crepes at our house, though, because of family tradition, they are 'Swedish Hotcakes' here. Either way, I'm going to have to give a shot of that sauce on the next batch I make!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Deesha, Natashya and Soma - welcome!
Come often.

Erik, I don't think you'll be sorry! These are really very good.

Peter M said...

Ummm, hot butter anything is supreme. I'd sprinkle some nuts here too!

Allie said...

This sounds wonderful! I could use a plate of these right now!

The Chef In My Head said...

Good Morning Mary,
I was showing my husband your blog (It's my favorite) and ran across these Crepes with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce, YUM! Is it a sign of stress if I want Rum for breakfast? These look sooo good! Thank you for being such an inspiration to me! -LeslieMichele

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly