Monday, January 26, 2009

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salsa

Photobucket

Isn't this pretty? I've always found it hard to come up with vegetables to serve with with Mexican food. I'm not fond of the colors or tastes of the usual suspects, but the sparkling colors and piquant flavor of this salsa have solved the problem. If you're tired of gray vegetables and tinned tomatoes I hope you'll try this. It will give a real lift to your palate. While I serve the salsa in tortilla bowls, that really isn't necessary - it does, however, add pizzazz to the presentation. If you plan to serve the salsa with chips I suggest you cut the ingredients in smaller pieces than that recommended in the recipe. I use pickled jalapeno peppers to insure a constant amount of heat. There are times when the jalapenos in the market are as sweet as bell peppers and that just won't do in this recipe. I know you're going to like this one!

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salsa


Ingredients:
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large) peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 tablespoon water
1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 large yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup minced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped and drained jalapeno peppers from a jar
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
Juice of 3 large limes
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Leaf lettuce
Tortilla bowls

Directions:
1) Place cubed sweet potatoes in a large (5-quart) microwavable bowl with a lid. Add 1 tablespoon water to bowl, cover, and microwave on HIGH power for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Potatoes must be tender but still retain their shape. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper toweling and allow to dry for 5 minutes.
2) Place sweet potatoes, red, green and yellow peppers, onion, chopped jalapeno peppers, black beans, lime juice and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour to chill ingredients.
3) Line tortilla bowls with lettuce leaves. Spoon salsa into bowl. Yield 4 to 6 servings.

This is my entry for the February Potato Ho Down event sponsored and hosted this month by Cathy who blogs at Noble Pig.

21 comments :

Sig said...

I love the colors in this salsa, it is one beautiful, healthy dish.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi Sig, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I hope you'll stop by often.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the colours are jewel-like and the flavour must be so clean and fresh - lovely!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That looks really spot on wonderful. I love beans in a salad like this and especially black beans. Terrific in a tortilla bowl!

The Blonde Duck said...

I am all over that. It looks fabulous.

Julia said...

I know what you mean -- trying to sneak in vegetables into Mexican food!! I tried to tell myself that chile rellanos count too.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh...I'm gonna LOVE your blog. I skimmed down and saw that chocolate french toast, and it looks heavenly and sinfully delicious, and I'm gonna try making that. I just know my hubby will like it.

I'm here from Bloggers Over 50 and will go add your blog link to the list of members. Welcome.

As you can see, I'm here visiting from my own personal blog and I would like to extend an invitation for you to come visit with me any time!!!!

I'm gonna add you to my blogs I follow too!!

Nice meeting you Mary!!!

[ps, you may have to refresh your browser window to see that you are added...it'll be a few minutes before I get out to blogrolling to add you, but I will as soon as I click "publish the comment"

Martha said...

Looks like a great salsa. And DH and I both love sweet potatoes.

Cathy said...

I always have salsa on hand and can't wait to try this one. Sweet potatoes are an unusual and tasty addition.

Allie said...

The color is amazing and I love the use of sweet potato, you're so smart!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Wonderful ingredients. A can of black beans are always a staple around here. Thanks for visiting my blog on a regular basis. It is encouraging and the Trout thanks you also. ;)

Pam said...

Healthy, tasty and so colorful. What an excellent salsa Mary.

Maria said...

I am loving everything about this salsa!!

Anonymous said...

And it's the perfect entry! Yum! Thank you so much...the color are gorgeous.

Femin Susan said...

seeing the photo I don't know what to say.my tongue started fidgeting like unless I have that those to taste I will keep on fidgeting.
Cheers!

Sara said...

This is so colorful and healthy, I love it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

A big hello and hugs to those visiting here for the first time. Come again and again :-). My thanks to faithful visitors. I appreciate you more than you know.

Peter M said...

It's a very colourful salad and it has some heat too (which I like).

The tortilla bowl is a bonus too!

Becky said...

This looks so good and I think I have all the ingredients to make it.

Just want to say thank you for blogging. I always enjoy reading your posts and wanted to share a couple of awards with you. Keep on sharing!

Anonymous said...

Mary-

So sorry to leave this message here but my computer crashed and I lost all info, including the email you sent me with your Potato Ho entry. Long story as to why I can't email you from your blogger page...tell ya later. I do know you sent me the email on 1/28 I beleive. Is there any way you can resend it to me? Do you have that computer with you? If not I will attempt to reconstruct from this page but need your Potato Ho name.
So sorry, Cathy. cathy@noblepig.com

Dewi said...

What a beutiful and colorful salad.
Cheers,
Elra

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly