Friday, February 13, 2009

Gratineed Chicken with Mushrooms


If you lead a life in which unexpected guests or business colleagues regularly find their way to your table, you'll find this recipe to be a godsend. It's the soul of simplicity but it looks terrific and is very easy to do. I make it a point to keep these ingredients in the refrigerator. It also makes a great family meal.

Gratineed Chicken with Mushrooms

Ingredients:
4 chicken breast fillets
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Flour for dusting
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped scallions (white and Tender green)
1/2 cup cream or half-and-half
1 tablespoon brandy
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Directions:
1) Preheat broiler.
2) Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dust chicken with flour. Heat oil and butter in a large saute pan. When hot cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a broiler pan and tent with foil.
3) Add mushrooms and scallions to pan. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Add cream and brandy; bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until sauce coats a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4) Spoon sauce over chicken; top with cheese. Place under a broiler until cheese melts and is a light golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely fabulous Mary! The photos are stunning as well!

Martha said...

I make a similar dish without the cheese -- I'll have to try your way next time.

Donna-FFW said...

So nice to keep these posts coming Mary while you are away. I look forward to them, this looks wonderful!

Peter M said...

Mary, the cheesy topping on this dish is to die for. You capture your food so well...bravo.

Swapna said...

Wow! wonderful dish. great pictures too:)

Julie Pia said...

This dish looks so good. I have 4 kids and sometimes it's a chore finding something they will all eat. I think this may be a winner. What would happen if I changed the cheese choice to chedder or swiss? Would it ruin the dish?

Thanks for sharing. I just came across your blog and love it! I'll be back often. Thanks, Julie

Kiezie said...

This looks absolutely wonderful. We eat a lot of chicken and I'm always looking for great new ways to cook it. This looks like a winner! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am back again for a chicken recipe :-) I loved your Chicken Persillade....

I see this recipe and I second the question about subsituting the cheese...is the cheese you recommend done so because of the flavor it gives off and also because of it being a softer cheese than that of swiss or cheddar? If so, and the only other cheese I happen to have currently is a Mozzarella would Mz. be better than Sw, or CH? :-)

Second, I see in the directions it mentions adding the Brandy to the pan but I did not see it listed in the ingredients, how much should be used?
Blessings,
Melissa Donovan

Mary Bergfeld said...

Melissa, I use gruyere cheese because there is a hint of nuttiness in its flavor. If you substitute use Swiss. Mozzarella would not add much flavor and cheddar won't work. Thanks for catching the omission regarding the brandy. The recipe should call for 1 tablespoon. I heading back in to add it to the ingredient list. Alert the troops if I don't return :).

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the quick reply Mary, both here and via email! I am heading to the stove now!
Blessings,
Melissa D. SC

Anonymous said...

Mary, just wanted to come back and say Thank you for a wonderful recipe. We had thumbs up all around the table. The flavor was delicious!!! This one guaranteed itself a spot in the recipe book!! Oh I put the link on my facebook account as well :-)
Blessings,
Melissa D. SC

free online adventure games said...

I like how you make recipes so simple and easy to make - perfect for the unexpected guest or even just a quick dinner after a long tiring day at work. This recipe is for keeps!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly