Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Asian Chicken or Shrimp Salad


I've finally had a chance to look through the stack of magazines that accumulated while we were away and was surprised to find one of my recipes in the March/April edition of Simple and Delicious - a Taste of Home publication. It was a contest entry that took no prizes, but it's a nice recipe that's very easy to do and I do appreciate the "atta girl." I have a series of recipes that can be done in about 20 minutes. This is one of them. Shrimp can be used in place of chicken if you want a meatless entree. I round out the salad with tomato or egg flower soup for a more filling meal. You'll quickly see that this is a recipe that requires assembly, not cooking. One caution - dress the salad just before serving and don't drown the ingredients. The recipe makes more dressing than you'll need. Refrigerate unused dressing and use it as a dipping sauce. I'm quoted as saying “I serve this salad in lettuce leaves or in pita pockets to friends who enjoy something a bit out of the ordinary. This is fast, easy, a bit exotic and, best of all, delicious. If you like peanut butter, this is the chicken salad for you!" Sometimes I'm so full of it I can't stand myself. It must have been a peanut butter contest.

Asian Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
3/4 cup reduced-fat sesame ginger salad dressing
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 packages (6 ounces each) ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips
or
1 pound shelled, cooked shrimp
4 cups chopped cucumbers
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup grated carrot
8 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves or 8 small pita pockets
Chopped fresh cilantro, optional

Directions:
1) Combine salad dressing, peanut butter, sesame oil, vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well to combine.
2) Combine chicken or shrimp, cucumbers, sweet pepper, green onions and carrots in a large bowl. Chill until serving.
3) Just before serving, shake dressing and pout over the chicken or shrimp mixture. Serve on lettuce leaves or in warm pita pockets. Garnish with cilantro if using. Yield: 8 servings.

19 comments :

Selba said...

This Asian salad really looks scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

Yes, delicious! I think it's a great idea when magazines and books produce tasty, colourful dishes such as this...in so few minutes!

Martha said...

I think it would go well in pita! I love the peanut butter flavor with chicken -- husband Jim will be delerious if he has this for lunch!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Mary, congratulations on your recipe being published. "Atta girls" are just fine in my book and I don't believe you can get enough of them.
Great recipe - and only in 20 minutes. Sounds like my kind of lunch. I like Asian ingredients in salads and we'll have to have this soon.
Sam

Netts Nook said...

The peanut butter and cider vinegar sounds so good. Great picture Mary.

Maria said...

Beautiful salad!

Cathy said...

How exciting to have one of your recipes published. I can see why. It definitely looks like a winner. I love all the flavors and textures. I think I'll try the shrimp version first.

Love the peanut butter.

Tracy said...

Looks yummy! Congrats on the publication even if it didn't come with a prize.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Good morning all. A special hug for Tracy. Thanks for stopping by.

Allie said...

Congrats on the publication! I see why they picked it, it looks yummy!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

How wonderful that you were recognized and published!! This recipe certainly sounds like a winner. Will try it soon.

Kiezie said...

How fun for you! And this should have won an award, it looks beautiful. I love the simplicity of it because it looks so good!

Sweetie said...

Congratulations on your publication! The shrimp is my very favorite. The pictures are lovely.
Sweetie

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sweetie, I'm so glad you stopped by. Come again!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! It's wonderful news! Next...your own cook book!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Only for the family, Cathy. I have no delusions of grandeur. The last thing the world needs is another cookbook - particularly mine.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary, this looks delicious! I love, love, love peanut sauce. :-D

I am definitely making this!!

And congratulations on the "atta girl." Those are always nice.

Jules

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jules, I think you like this one. It's so simple to do!

Toni said...

Mary, I was just thinking that you should publish a recipe book. Have you?

Then I found your Asian chicken salad... and that it was published in Taste of Home. How awesome! Congratulations!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly