Friday, March 13, 2009

Irish Moonshine - Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur


When Irish eyes are smiling there's usually a reason. Could it be Bailey's Irish Cream? The liqueur has been available since 1974 when Gilbey's, an Irish distillery, discovered how to emulsify whiskey and heavy cream. The liqueur is uniquely Irish and is a balanced measure of Ireland's agricultural and distilling heritage. However important that may be, it's the amazing taste that has made the liqueur famous. If you're a devotee of Bailey's Irish Cream, perhaps in Irish coffee or straight-up over ice, today's recipe will have you smiling, too. It's easy, fast and inexpensive to prepare and it's great for a party. It also makes a nice hostess gift. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. I am also including a recipe for a dairy free Irish cream for those who are lactose intolerant or vegan. Sláinte.

Irish Cream Liqueur

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups whiskey (i.e. Jameson's Irish whiskey)
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
1) Place all ingredients in a blender jar. Pulse to combine.
2) Pour into a serving container and refrigerate until ready to use.
3) Serve over ice in a glass. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 weeks. Yield: 5 cups.


Better Than Bailey's Irish Cream (vegan)...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Mark Olsen

Ingredients:
1 can (14.5-oz.)  coconut milk
2 tablespoons  brown sugar
2 tablespoons  chocolate topping
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup whisky (or to taste)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients thoroughly using a whisk, but do not froth. Keep
refrigerated, preferably in a dark bottle.

33 comments :

Beachlover said...

looking at your Irish Cream make me thirsty!! must try your recipe one day!

Allie said...

This looks phenomenal. I'm going to have to try this!

Elle said...

Just in time for St. Patrick's Day! Love it.

Anonymous said...

I think I may just give this a try - last summer I made slush margaritas and before that a really refreshing lemon vodka. Thank you!

Martha said...

Have a recipe for Kahlua but have never seen one for Bailey's -- a great way to end a meal of corned beef and cabbage!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Not a drop of Irish blood in me, but for this homemade drink, I'll change my attitude. Can't wait to try it!

Donna-FFW said...

Can I just say I LOVE you for posting this and This is my FAVORITE title of a post ever. Irish moonshine. LOVE it!

Cathy said...

Looks very tasty, Mary. Happy St. Paddy's day to you.

Allie said...

Oh wow this sounds sooo good! I can't wait to make a batch.

Unknown said...

mary

'Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.'

just in time for st patrick's day

Netts Nook said...

Oh Mary I love can't wait to try. Have made home made Kahlua many times. Love it.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Beachlover, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I hope you'll be back often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Elle, I'm so glad you stopped by! Come and visit often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily, it's so nice to see you here. I'm flattered.

Hootin Anni said...

I'm Irish...3/4s Irish. And I love the Guinness beer, but it's the coffee I can't have...the dr.s told me to stay away from anything caffeine. Even the decaf has caffeine which I didn't know until the research was done. It looks so yummy tho!!! Mmmmmmm.

And the black bean dish below, that sounds easy and looks oh so tasty!!!

Kiezie said...

Terrific!! I love Irish Cream while relaxing after a great dinner and this looks wonderful!!

La Bella Cooks said...

These look so yummy! Who can resist being served one? Love it.

Anonymous said...

I just bought Bailey's this morning...crap! This looks delicious!

Pam said...

Oh this sounds simply divine! We are having friends over on Sunday for an Irish feast, I may just have to serve these drinks.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a lovely substitute for Bailey's at 1/3 the cost.

Lisa said...

Definitely a great recipe. Sounds wonderful! I suppose it is important that the whiskey be Irish or it would taste wrong, but...

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lisa, the folks at Jamesons think the whiskey should be Irish. I'm not at all sure about the rest of us.

Julie said...

Very nice! Looks wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

Mary, you can make a bottle at anytime. I've never made my own liquor, but would love to give it a try. Wonderful!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jukie and Chuck, thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll come often.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your Irish Moonshines are so clever. Anything with Baileys has to be good. We had a friend in the islands that made pancakes and used Baileys - what a great brunch party they gave.
Thanks for a great idea for St. Patties Day.
Sam

NKP said...

Would it be over-the-top to express my love in this little comment form?
I have always wanted to try to make my own Irish cream - I am definitely going to make this.
Thanks so much!

Sophia Lee said...

what a great refreshing drink to revitalize me!

Karen said...

We make this too! Also Kahula... can't beat the price :)

Unknown said...

This is probably why the Irish are better than everyone else.

www.kalamabooze.com

Jackie said...

Love the Irish Cream recipe. I have a very similar one in my recipe box. I was interested in the dairy free version, but I it appears that the link is no longer a valid one. When I clicked on it I ended up at veggieromance.com. No recipe was showing anywhere.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jackie, I hope you stop back. I've added the vegan recipe to the post and removed the broken link. Thanks for letting me know.

Jackie said...

Thanks for including the vegan version. I have sent it on to a friend who can't have any dairy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly