Friday, April 10, 2009

Swiss Onion Tart


I've made this tart for close to for 50 years and while I've tried others - including my beloved Julia's quiche Lorraine - this one always calls me home. It's simple to make and as close to fool-proof as a custard can be. The original recipe, which first appeared in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, appealed to me because it used a crumb crust. At some point I substituted a buttery pie crust for the crumbs and that added another dimension to an already delicious entree. We like this so well that I've developed another version of the pie that uses smoked salmon instead of bacon and over the years I've experimented with various types of cheese, including some combinations that make a lovely Southwestern-style tart. This makes a great entree for lunch or a light supper. It can also be cut into squares and served with cocktails. I hope you'll try this.

Swiss Onion Tart


Ingredients:
Crust:
1 pie crust
......or........
1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
Filling:
6 slices smoked bacon
----------or----------
4 ounces smoked salmon
3 tablespoons canola oil (optional)
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cups (8-oz.) Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 dairy sour cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup (4-oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If using crumbs combine with butter and pat into a 9-inch pie plate. If using a pie crust fit into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Set aside.
2) If using bacon, fry in a medium saute pan until crisp. Transfer to paper toweling and crumble. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons bacon drippings. If using salmon, shred and set aside.
3) Saute onions in reserved bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons canola oil until limp and caramelized. Cool slightly.
4) Place Gruyere cheese, sour cream, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bacon or salmon and onions. Mix well. Pour into shell. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.
5) Bake in lower third of oven for 30 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of custard comes out clean. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. If using a tart pan carefully remove sides prior to serving. Yield: 6 servings.

30 comments :

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks perfect! I made a quiche tonight for PBO. I could eat quiche every night for dinner.

recipes2share said...

This is mouthwatering and what an excellent reason to stick with something which works so well. We all need our reliable favourites to call upon!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Good luck, Lisa. I still haven't started, but I only have a couple of ideas. I'd better get with it though.

Martha said...

I love quiche and will have to try this the next time I do one -- quiche's were so overdone in the 80's that most people forgot how good they were!

Joyce said...

This looks wonderful. I have to add it to my list of recipes to make soon. I am making an Italian Easter quiche for family on Sunday and I am getting hungry looking at your photo and thinking about baking. I love to play with Flour!
Joyce

Donna-FFW said...

This looks wonderful. I love it! Cheese onion in a delicious crust!! I have a tart up right now also.. great minds think alike..

Julia said...

I love this combination, with onions, Gruyere and bacon! I usually make it on a flat bread, but really like the tart idea. Nice light supper.

NKP said...

It does sound mouth-watering. I love Gruyere, my favourite cheese for a dish like this.

Hootin Anni said...

I'm here to send my wishes to you, Mary, that you have a wonderful, peaceful Easter holiday. If you don't observe, have a great weekend too!!

Netts Nook said...

Love the smoked salmon this is going in my recipe file for sure.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Joyce, I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come again. There's always something going on here.

Delicious Dishings said...

I love quiche Lorraine... but I've never had it like this before. It looks and sounds wonderful!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Welcome to One Perfect Bite, Megan. I hope to see you often. You'll like the tart.

Pam said...

This would be perfect for Easter brunch. Looks divine Mary.

Amongst The Oaks said...

I made quiche two weekends ago for our "Wisteria Bloom" party, but this looks even better! I'll try it.
Laura

Cathy said...

Fantastic, Mary. What a beautiful tart. I have lots of eggs that I bought at my neighborhood stand so will add this to my Easter brunch menu.

Our old recipes are the best and most dear.

Karen said...

This looks so good. I love smoked salmon with eggs - it always tastes so elegant!

Diary From Africa said...

That looks really delicious ! Your food photos are all so wonderful & professional looking, I can almost taste them :)

Laura said...

This looks fabulous. I love tarts and I love onions.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Gruyere? Smoked Salmon? Onion? I've died and gone to heaven! I am sitting here in a pool of drool.

Bloggers Over 50 said...

Mary...
From a random number drawing, your blog has been chosen to be highlighted for the month of April [the 9th-May 9th]!!

Your blog will be listed as the highlighted blog of the month! congratulations.

Also, there is always a small token for your blog's sidebar if you wish to pick it up.

Click Here

test it comm said...

That tart looks so tasty and good!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Great quiche recipe Mary. I had quiche for lunch in our favorite restaurant today and I was disappointed in theirs. It wasn't traditional. Theirs was more like a souffle and they baked ham and cheese in the crust which made the crust tough. Yours is my kind of quiche and it's why I like quiche in the first place. Thanks. Happy Easter to you and your family.
Sam

Heather S-G said...

This looks amazing, Mary! I would love this for Easter brunch...hmmm?

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

That is one beautiful and savorty looking tart! My family would love this, especially my oldest homegirl!

Lisa said...

This looks delicious. I can't wait to try the salmon and gruyere version!

pixen said...

Gruyère is one of my favourite cheese and my family had to fight with me :-D Now, with a new addition to the family, the gang has to fight both of us.My best memory of Gruyère was visiting the town and had the best double cream dipped with strawberries which were so sweet and served with Hot Chocolate drink topped with cream again! From the distant you can hear the tinkles of the Swiss cows as that was the time the farmers sent their cows up the mountains :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Pixen, what a lovely memory. Thanks for sharing it. I hope you'll come often.

childhood anxiety treatment said...

So cheesy. Love it.


Raquel

mari carmen said...

Me gustannnnn tus recetas que ricas!!!Otro beso guapa

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly