Monday, May 4, 2009

Orange Couscous with Cinnamon Vinaigrette


About a year ago the Florida Department of Citrus sponsored a "Back to the Grove Recipe Contest." The only requirement was that the recipe use a cup of Florida orange juice. How hard could that be? I, and lots of other amateur recipe developers, decided to go for the Florida gold. I worked diligently on a recipe that I hoped would take the prize. That, alas, was not the case, but I was so intrigued by the recipe that did win that I decided to make it. To my surprise, my husband, who is not a fan of couscous, liked the dish. The couscous had the added advantage of being table ready in ten minutes. This is a boon for busy cooks and it's a great accompaniment for plain grilled meat or poultry. It's also fancy enough to serve to guests. This is simple to do, inexpensive to make and a treat for tired palates. If you like couscous give this a try.

Orange Couscous with Cinnamon Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup couscous
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or almonds
1/2 cup chopped scallions (white and tender green)

Directions:
1) Place orange juice and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in couscous. Remove pan from heat. Cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
2) Meanwhile, place olive oil, vinegar and cinnamon in a jar with a lid. Cover and shake until emulsified. Set aside.
3) Add raisins, nuts and scallions to couscous. Add vinaigrette and stir gently until combined. Pack into molds if desired. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 4 servings.

Recipe developed by Kelly Boe for the Florida Department of Citrus.

29 comments :

The Cooking Photographer said...

Cinnamon Vinaigrette? It makes sense when I think about it. What a brillant idea.

I enjoy recipe competitions too, even though I rarely win. The idea of a deadline often brings out the best of my creativity.

theUngourmet said...

I can imagine the flavors in this are just terrific! Did you serve anything with it?

Mary Bergfeld said...

We had this with our dinner tonight. I served it with grilled potk tenderloin and steamed snow peas.

Ning said...

I confess we've never tried couscous because we already have rice. But I am willing to try :)

Katy ~ said...

Oh my gosh! This looks positively divine and what a beautiful presentation! I enjoy couscous and have been looking for new ways to serve it. You can be rest assured, this one will be tried and loved!

FAB!

Martha said...

I've done orange rice but never orange couscous. I'll have to try this the next time I make couscous.

Julia said...

I agree with you about cous cous, it's such a great side, and you served it so elegantly, all nicely molded.

I love the idea of a cinnamon vinaigrette! Especially since I have the spicy Vietnamese variety.

NKP said...

It never occurred to me before to make couscous in orange juice, a great idea.
What a great combo of flavours, and it looks so proud and tall.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Organge, couscous and cinnamon vinaigrette? I know why you had to tey it, I have to try it. Mary this looks fantastic the way you have it shaped for serving.

Ginger said...

Mary,

This likely is the most creative recipe I have yet to see. I love couscous!! The cinnamon vinaigrette sounds so unique and flavorful. You have out done yourself!!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I will admit, I would probably pass by this recipe without a second thought, but since it comes with your seal of approval, Mary, I am curious. By the way, the smell of the orange juice boiling...we smell that often outside as we live near an orange juice processing plant. I have gotten used to the smell, but it was very strange at first.

Donna-FFW said...

Cinnamon viniagrette sounds lovely.. macadamia nuts , couscous, how delicious. I love the way you plated it.

Heather S-G said...

This is so pretty...all studded with yummies! And yes, the cinnamon vinaigrette is very intriguing..I may have to try this one (I love couscous).

Justin said...

sounds good. so if you touch it with a fork, does the whole thing come crumbling down? p.s. I love cous cous

Netts Nook said...

You should of won it looks perfect to me. What a creative little mind you have.

Allie said...

I really like your flavor combos! I can't wait to try this one night this week. This sounds way better the the plain jane couscous I was gonna make.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Justin, first a big welcome to One Perfect Bite. I hope you'll join us often. As to the couscous...unless it is really tightly packed into its mold it will collapse after a couple of spoonfuls.

Anonymous said...

This sounds unusual and delicious. I'm not a huge fan of couscous myself-- I'm a devoted lover of rice-- but I am going to have to give this a whirl. Cinnamon vinaigrette just calls my name.

Pam said...

I am loving the flavors and it looks so good too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Haley, welcome to my blog. I hope you'll visit with us often.

Laura said...

Ooooh, this looks wonderful. What a great side dish.

Karen said...

What a beautiful presentation! It's been a long time since I had couscous but I do like it.

Fifi Flowers said...

That is too pretty to eat! I LOVE Couscous with lamb... yum!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Fifi, welcome to my blog. I hope you'll become a regular visitor.

The Blonde Duck said...

How did you get that shot?!?!?

Mary Bergfeld said...

Blonde Duck, we cropped and enlarged the photo. We are still working with a point and click camera. I do the cooking, set up and editing. Bob takes the actual photographs until I'm happy with the results. I'm partially sighted so whenever I take the photos they look like impressionist paintings :)

Maria said...

Orange and cinnamon, delicious!

Lori said...

My husband would love this. He loves anything with cinnamon on it.

Lisa said...

This is really an interesting recipe. I had couscous a couple of nights ago but served it very plain and no one was the least bit impressed. I can't wait to try it in this recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly