Friday, May 15, 2009

Swiss-Style Two Grain Bread


This bread confounds me. It probably graced farm tables in the Tyrol and I'm sure it was known to Heidi and her Grandfather. It has no cache. It's a bit heavy and lacks any pretense of sophistication. I shouldn't like it but I do. It has enormous flavor and great nose. This cracked grain bread is an easy no-knead wonder that comes from Bob's Red Mill, the folks who make my flour. It's ready to slice in less than two hours and it's wonderful with good European butter or a Red Leicester Cheese. I could go on and on but instead of talking let's do.


Swiss-Style Two Grain Bread


Ingredients:
1/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup cracked rye
Cold water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
4 tablespoons dry milk powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
4-1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 2 pound bread pan. Set aside.
2) Place cracked wheat and cracked rye in a small saucepan. Cover grains with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat; simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and cool to luke warm.
3) Place 2/3 cup of warm water in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in remaining 1-1/3 cup warm water, milk powder, salt and cracked grains. Gradually mix in whole wheat flour to make a very moist dough. Knead in bowl until it begins to change texture.
4) Transfer dough to prepared pan, cover and let rise in a warm area for about 30 minutes, or until dough rises to about 1/2-inch above top of pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: one 2-pound loaf.


I'm sending this recipe to Rachael at Tangerine's Kitchen for the May BBD multi grain bread challenge. BBD is a popular food-blog event that was started by Zorra of Kochtopf.

I'm also plan to send it on to Susan at Wild Yeast for her Yeast Spotting event.

31 comments :

The Cooking Photographer said...

Ahh nice, an easy one! Perfect for me!

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

How can something so quick and easy and healthy look and taste so good? Thanks for sharing this one, Mary.

Pam said...

Now that's a beautiful loaf of bread!

Ning said...

I would love to try this! Heavy breads are more filling. However, I have to look for rye and wheat around here... :)

Katy ~ said...

Whole grain goodness! I can almost taste and smell it. I will certainly save this one to do.

Well done and so beautiful!

Selba said...

I totally agreed with Pam... beautiful loaf of bread :)

Martha said...

I generally don't do breads but may have to try this one -- if I can find the grains!

Hootin Anni said...

Delicious!!!!

Penny said...

Where do you find the time? Ricotta gnocchi and now two grain bread! I think I will give this a try.

Unknown said...

another perfect bread from your kitchen... :)

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds so simple. I will have to try this one. Gorgeous loaf!

Mihl said...

I love bread with cracked grains!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sometimes there's just no explaining why we like something and bread especially. The ingredients are so simple and yet come together to be something entirely different.
Beautiful crumb.

Anonymous said...

That is one gorgeous loaf of bread!

Sara said...

It looks so perfectly shaped. I have never made an actual sandwich loaf of bread like this before. I have recipe ready to go similar to this for BBD, hopefully I will have time this weekend!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Wheat and rye combo - I know I'll like this one. Beautiful loaf of bread Mary.
Sam

LarissaToday said...

Quick and delicious... Perfect! Greatings from Germany!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Larissa, welcome to my blog. You share your name with my eldest daughter. I hope you'll be back often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Mihl, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I hope you join us often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Penny, fortunately I didn't have to make them on the same day. We photograph as we go along and post when the selection is appropriate.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I bet the cracked rye flour really gives it that extra pop. I love find no knead breads...I always wish I could skip that step.

The Blonde Duck said...

I think even I could do this!

Mariana said...

This bread sounds healthy and filling. Can't argue with that.
I don't believe it Mary! My eldest daughter's name is Larissa too. You clearly have good taste in names. Hehehe.

NKP said...

It looks so light for a whole grain bread! I have bookmarked it, just have to keep and eye out for cracked rye, I haven't seen it before.

Lori said...

Milk or milk powder in bread always seems to do well. This is a nice recipe Mary!

Ann said...

Wow.. sounds easy and looks so perfect! thanks for sharing :0)

J said...

i'll have to try this one! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Ann and J, welcome to my place. I hope you'll become regulars.

theUngourmet said...

Mmm! One of my most favorite smells is that of home baked bread!

I love Bob's! Have you eaten at their store? They serve a fabulous breakfast including fresh baked biscuits with flax seeds. Yum!

I have actually never held a dinner party in my life. I always just cook for my family. Maybe one day!

Netts Nook said...

Mary you are quite the woman your bread looks perfect as usual.

rachel said...

A gorgeous bread with chock full of goodness.. Thanks for the lovely entry and for leading me to your blog...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly