Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blue Corn Muffins - Blue Monday







From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
Adventurers climb mountains because they are there, folks who love good food experiment with ingredients for the same reason. My first encounter with blue cornmeal was a dirty looking chip with no cache. It looked terrible but the flavor wasn't bad. While it was grainier than its yellow or white cousins, it was sweet and hearty and had the lingering taste of earth about it. The Native Americans of the Southwest call blue corn Hopi corn and it has spiritual importance to them. It represents the rising sun and the beginning of life, wisdom and understanding. Blue cornmeal comes from the dried blue kernels of corn grown on plateaus and mesas in New Mexico and Arizona. It's not always a true blue and when it's on the cob it has a hue more purple than blue. When ground it appears to be a very pale, almost white, lavender that on close inspection is flecked with grains of blue that are photochromic. The picture to the left has not been doctored in any way. It was taken at noon on a very sunny day and this is what the camera saw. I've been working on Southwestern-style meals for a family gathering planned for later this summer, so it was a natural progression to begin experimenting with blue corn. When I found an old Bobby Flay recipe for blue corn muffins I was hooked and this is what my first foray into the world of blue corn produced. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed these. I will make them any time I can - even for breakfast. They are packed with flavor and have a wonderful moist crumb that's hard to resist. I really hope you'll try these. They are down-home wonderful.

Blue Corn Muffins
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
1 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
3/4 cup blue cornmeal (can substitute yellow)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Directions:
1) Adjust a rack to middle-third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Grease a 6 slot muffin pan with non-stick vegetable spray. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a small saucepan; add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Set aside to cool.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs, bell pepper, jalapeno, corn and cilantro. Whisk in butter mixture. Set aside.
4)In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine. Mix into the liquid mixture.
5) Divide batter evenly among the 6 muffins slots and bake for 16 minutes or until set, turning pan once for even baking. Yield: 6 muffins

I'm send this to Smiling Sally for her Blue Monday event.

43 comments :

Martha said...

These look wonderful -- I've never used blue cornmeal either! I'll have to give it a try!

Katy said...

This is a unique and fascinating food to me. I must try this! I think this is just awesome!

theUngourmet said...

Oh my goodness, I just have to find some blue corn! These are beautiful, I love all of the wonderful colors inside! I know my husband would love these too.

Wonderful choice for Blue Monday!

Heather S-G said...

These are so comforting, Mary! My roots are Native American and I love that you gave a little blue corn history with your recipe! Absolutely gorgeous :)

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Did you find the blue corn and where? I suppose the blue corn meal can be purchased over the internet? I wish I could taste right now.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Susan, we have a small bodega in our area that carries blue corn in the late summer. Very little of it makes it to market because most of it is raised to make masa. The internet is a great source for blue cornmeal but you can buy it in Spanish/Mexican markets, Whole Foods of Market of Choice.

Karen said...

I love how it looks inside... the red of the bell ppr, the yellow corn, it's a beautiful muffin and I'm sure it's delish!

NKP said...

So cool! I have never baked with blue corn. What striking colour!

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

these are so awesome! I love the color of the blue corn... and the jalapenio in there? winderful

Cathy said...

Your blue muffins look so delicious and will be fun for a family gathering. They would spark a lot of conversation at my house.

I might add a little dab of pepper jelly along with the butter. Yum.

Anonymous said...

wOW!!! That looks FANTASTIC! And the nutritional info is superb, I'll bet, compared to regular cornmeal!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

My favorite color, one of my favorite foods, FABULOUS!!

Joyce said...

I am going to see if I can find some blue corn meal at Whole Foods because these look amazing. Thanks for adding the interesting blue corn comments as I found the history so interesting. My cooking light club would love these muffins.
Joyce

Unknown said...

Those would make a pretty addition to the table! They sound delicious. :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your muffins look delicious. I just bought blue cornmeal for an enchilada casserole and I think I now know what I will be doing with the extra!

koralee said...

oh what a lovely blog you have!!! i am going to take some time and look at all your yummy yummy images from your past post...these blue cornmeal muffins look amazing!!! Thanks for leaving such nice words on my blog!

My Little Space said...

I wonder how it taste like??

chow and chatter said...

these look great never heard of blue corn is it easy to find?

Creative Classroom Core said...

How fun these are!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love the sound of these, Mary- I don't know if I can find blue cornmeal here, but I'm sure going to look! I'd love to try these!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Gals, Whole Foods and Market of Choice both carry blue corn in their bulk sections. It can also be ordered on line. As to its taste - a bit like yellow cornmeal but with an earthier flavor. Trust me...I'm not into strange stuff. You will really like this.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

They are so colorful and pretty! I'd have to mail order blue cornmeal because I have never seen it anywhere around here. Actually, I've never seen blue corn either!

Ann said...

That is awesome and looks totally tempting. I just the love that color.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Ooo Mary these are beautiful! I can't wait to try them, and that corn shot is stunning.

Laura

Olga said...

ooh, I've never seen blue corn in "person"...these are so colorful!

Fifi Flowers said...

I bet those are DELICIOUS!!! Your blog makes me hungry.. breakfast time!

Carrie said...

I love corn muffins and those look scrumptious!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Perfect for a 4th picnic. Thanks for the idea.

Chef Fresco said...

By far, the coolest corn muffin ever!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a yummy-looking muffin! I've never seen such a pretty head of blue corn before! Thanks for sharing and have a Happy Blue Monday.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mary, I always like to drop by to see you and see what you might be cooking. You never disappoint. I love blue corn chips, but I have never had blue corn muffins. These look GREAT!

I hope you're having a very happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Knitty said...

I can only think of one possible source near me. I've bookmarked your recipe in case I am successful!

Lori said...

I think they mix it with ash as well.

Several years ago I purchased some blue corn meal and made a type of cornbread with pine nuts in it. We all loved it and I have been thinking of making it again. Now I am inspired! Thanks Mary.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun recipe. I've had blue cornmeal chips... so next corn muffins!

Kathy b

bj said...

I've not seen the blue corn before.
We lived on the Navajo reservation in Tuba City, AZ for about a year, a long time ago. The Hopi reservation was just across the highway. Almost everything is spiritual to the Indians, it seems. We really enjoyed our time there..I spent most of my days, driving around looking for rugs, pottery, jewelry..Had such fun.
I really want to try these muffins and think I will go right in and make some for our dinner tonight.
Thanks for the recipe..
Oh and have you ever had Navajo Tacos ? O, Honey !!

bj said...

oops, meant to say I would have to use regular corn for these muffins..hope they will be good, anyway!!?

Mary Bergfeld said...

bj, the muffins are delicious when made with white or yellow cornmeal, but the blue corn adds an earthiness that is missing from muffins made with white or yellow meal.

Anonymous said...

What a great blue post. The blue cornmeal is sooooo COOL!!!!

Printersdevil said...

This sound wonderful.

Printersdevil said...

Beautiful. I have an aunt who lived in California and she used a lot of blue cornmeal. I love Mexican cornbread. I have to try out your recipe.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I've been enjoying blue corn meal for years now. I think my very favorite recipe is for blue corn waffle chips - spicy chipotle pepper and made in the thinner heart shaped waffle make I have.
Love the blue corn muffin look - I think they're beautiful.

Regina said...

It's really great.

Jennsmere said...

Enjoyed visiting...love blue corn muffins! Thanks for stopping by my place...
Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly