Monday, July 6, 2009

Cajun Corn Maque Choux - Mellow Yellow Monday




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's not the prettiest yellow in the garden but it is arguably the tastiest. I first had corn maque choux years ago and have been a fan of it ever since. Back then the vegetables were softened in bacon drippings and the corn simmered in a bath of heavy cream. Today's recipe is a healthier version of that dish and nearly as good. While the recipe is delicious made with fresh corn, I use frozen shoepeg corn to simplify things. The tender kernels are small and white and have a remarkably sweet flavor. I'm told that in the south it's also called country gentleman corn. It is wonderful in Cajun corn maque choux. The dish comes from southern Louisiana and it's thought to be fusion of French and native American cooking. I like to serve this with plain broiled chicken or grilled steak. Take a peak at the recipe. I think you'll enjoy this.

Cajun Corn Maque Choux
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped red or green bell peppers
4 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
6 strips crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
Hot sauce (optional)

Directions:
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers; cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
2) Add corn, tomatoes, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Add milk and cook until corn is soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in bacon. Transfer to a serving bowl. Pass hot sauce at table. Yield: 6 servings.

This post is linked to Mellow Yellow Monday.

It is also be linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesdays.

22 comments :

Mozi Esme said...

That looks so yummy! I am craving fresh corn...

Sara Chapman said...

This looks yummy. I love your pretty pix and your recipes, especially those not-too-sweet desserts. And thanks so much for visiting.

yyam said...

Ahhh! Fresh corn tastes great! Why do I always feel hungry when I visit your blog?

LV said...

One of my favorite dishes is corn on the cob. I am sure your is delicious. Makes me hungry just looking at the picture. I bet you are a wonderful cook.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh heck i would of never thought about corn, great choice.

fickle said...

i will surely try this recipe!

I played, toohere!

Nedekcir said...

They look scrumptious, now I need to visit my local farm to buy some, local corns are the best.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

yellow corn, absolutely perfect for Mellow Yellow
MellowYellow

I also want to invite you if you can join us every friday at FoodTripFriday. It's a weekly photo meme of nothing but FOOD. :)

kamz said...

hmm... yummy! i miss yellow sweet corn on a cob. grilled please! happy monday!

Christina Kim said...

i love the idea of this side dish, and i love the idea of NOT braising it in bacon fat/butter!

Pyzahn said...

Mmmm, corn and bacon. Be still my heart....and stomach.

p.s. don't think my comment went thru...guess I goofed on the word verificatin

Lori said...

I cant wait till we start getting corn. There is a corn that they had last year that was early and it was oh so tastey and sweet. I want to say this is the same one but now I have to check with them when they start selling it.

Annie Jeffries said...

That corn on the cob looks soooo good. I've never seen cotc in a mixture of yellow and white. I'll need to check around here and see if there is any available.

Nukke said...

That looks so delicious and it has bacon in it too !!

maryt/theteach said...

It does look delicious, Mary! Happy Mellow Yellow Monday! :)

Kranky Granny said...

The sweet corn has been so good this year. I can't get enough. Will give this a try.

Thanks for the recipe and the visit to my site.

Creative Classroom Core said...

I come from a place that is famous for its corn, so I have bookmarked this recipe to try - looks amazing!

SouthLakesMom said...

Enticing! I think I'd use 1/2 cup each of red and green bell peppers, but I like LOTS of color!

Sasha said...

What an interesting little recipe! I should give it a try, since I always seem to have frozen corn in the freezer. : ]

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks great. My 2 year old daughter LOVES corn! Thanks for sharing your recipe and joining us for the TMTT anniversary today.

Jerralea said...

Cajun Corn sounds great! I love anything with bacon thrown in.

Maria's Space said...

Yummy. That looks and sounds amazing.
http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2009/07/mellow-yellow-monday-features-one-of-my.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly