Monday, August 3, 2009

Cajun Shrimp Etouffee


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I suspect there are few things harder than being the newest member of a tightly knit family whose members all hold strong opinions. Fortunately, the folks who have married into this clan have been adopted by it and can hold their own at our sometimes raucous table. A twist of fortune has added a southern gentleman to our mix of color and temperament and we make this etouffee for him whenever he visits. It's really easy to, but this recipe has a "gottcha" just waiting for those who don't thoroughly read the recipe before beginning its preparation. The last entry in the ingredient list calls for the addition of roux. Most of us don't a stock roux in the pantry or refrigerator. I know I don't, so I've included a recipe for one for those who are inspired to try this delicious entry. An etouffee is similar to a gumbo but it's thicker and is considered to be an entree while a gumbo is categorized as a soup. I'm told that in Cajun cooking the word etouffee means "smothered in a sauce." These shrimp are, indeed, smothered in sauce. Here's how we make it.

Cajun Shrimp Etouffee...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 pounds fresh or frozen peeled shrimp
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups water or shrimp stock
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika (I use smoked pimenton)
2 to 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup brown roux (see below)

Directions:
1) Melt butter in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Add onions, celery, green and red peppers and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
2) Stir in shrimp, water (or shrimp stock), tomato sauce and spices. Bring mixture to a boil; stir in the roux and whisk until smooth. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are tender and opaque. If the sauce is too thick thin with water or stock. Serve hot over rice. Yield: 6 servings.

Roux

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions:
Combine oil and flour in a heavy saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until deep brown. Watch carefully to prevent burning.

23 comments :

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Gotta love etouffee!!

Selba said...

I always love cajun...

Looks so delicious!

My Little Space said...

I thought what happening to Mary! Missing for 2 days! Happy that you're back! Yummy dish..I will try it. It's my son's favourite!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh that sounds just wonderful to me. I bet the southern gentleman loves your cooking!

Martha said...

There is nothing tastier than an etouffee. This looks wonderful.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Ah, the dreaded roux. It can be tricky to make and I've burned it on occasion.
Your southern gentlemen has good taste and the etouffee look fabulous. As a new member of the family I hope he appreciate what a wonderful cook you are. But he's southern and comes equipped with manners, so I know he does.
Sam

Cathy said...

Oh my, this looks delicious, Mary. I've never made etouffee but have certainly enjoyed it when I've visited the South. It's always fun to try something new.

The Fajdich Times said...

Looks so good! Your recipes are all so good. Thanks for sharing:)

Dee said...

i think that dish could win anyone over :)

looks very tasty! might have to try this one sometime this week if i can get a hold of some shrimp!

have a great day :)

theUngourmet said...

I love shrimp! I love Cajun! What a nice dish. :0)

Pam said...

What a great recipe - you can't beat cajun cooking.

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is a dish I have not made, but I've seen it and know of the roux...you made this seem easy and very doable to me Mary-Thanks! It does look so tasty and simple so it's bookmarked!

The Blonde Duck said...

This is a true Cajun treat!

noble pig said...

I have never made etouffee but have always wanted too. Very delicious Mary.

Bits said...

Lovely & looks so juicy! Love it!

Sasha said...

Cajun food is amazing!!!

Every year, the day after Thanksgiving, I make gumbo with the left-over turkey : ]

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sasha, I agree. Cajun food is wonderful.

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the luscious color of the sauce. Now this is a heavenly dish!

Katy ~ said...

The bounty of the sea is in your photo!

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks perfect! I just watched Tyler Florence make an etouffee and it looked so good. I'm thinking I might need to make some. Yum!

test it comm said...

That shrimp looks really tasty!

sealaura said...

mental note : don't visit this blog on an empty stomach!

cheers! :)

Jamie said...

Wow! I love all things Cajun but it has been at least 15 years since I've made anything! This is one great recipe! I so need to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly