Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lemon Custard







From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We are a family of lemon lovers. Years ago this recipe was the filling for a lemon custard pie. It was unusual because it used buttermilk and sour cream to produce a tang that couldn't be attributed simply to lemon. As time passed and calories became a consideration, I simply did away with the crust and cooked the filling as I would a lemon pudding. We still love the dessert. It is easy to do and very much like an old-fashioned lemon pudding that has a layer of cake topped with a layer of custard. It requires no additional sauce because the top layer is so creamy. I do use a bit of zested lemon to garnish the cake. If you're fussy, you can blanch and candy the zest. I don't bother because this is meant to be a reasonably quick treat for family and close friends. I do like to serve these with macerated blue or black berries.Here's the recipe.

Lemon Custard...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
6 large eggs, separated
Grated zest and juice of 3 large lemons
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
1 cup light sour cream
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zested lemon strips for garnish

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 8 1-cup molds or 2 9 x 2-inch flan pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Place egg yolks in bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat until they are pale yellow. Add zest. Slowly add lemon juice, beating to incorporate.
3) Add sugar and flour and beat slowly until incorporated. Reduce speed and add milk, buttermilk and sour cream, beating to incorporate. Set aside.
4) In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold whites into egg yolk mixture.
5) Fill prepared molds with batter. Place in a large roasting pan. Transfer to center rack of oven. Pour boiling water into pan until it comes halfway up sides of molds. Bake until cake tester inserted into center of molds comes out clean, about 60 to 75 minutes. Carefully remove pan from oven, but do not remove molds from pan. Allow water to cool to room temperature. Unmold and chill before serving. Garnish with zested lemon strips. Yield: 8 1-cup molds or 2 9-inch flans.

30 comments :

Pam said...

I love lemon custard but have never made it... yours looks almost too pretty to eat. Almost :).

My Little Space said...

Oooo...wow, I can almost smell it..! The custard looks really gorgeous. And so is the tray! he he...I bet your grandsons will love it!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am a big lemon fan myself and these are really lovely!

P. said...

Ah! This looks so good.

Alfazema

Nicole said...

This looks fantastic! My cousin has a lemon tree in her backyard, maybe we can pick a few and give this recipe a try!

Jamie said...

Mary, this is beautiful! I love lemon recipes and this one is wonderful! I must try it! Your presentation is fabulous, too.

Martha said...

Great lemon dessert -- we love lemon anything at Linderhof!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Be still my heart! I need to be in your family because i am a melon lover too! This is gorgeous!

Cathy said...

Lemons are a favorite in the dessert department here. I've never used buttermilk in my lemon pudding recipes so look forward to trying it.

A lovely, quick dessert, Mary. Thanks for the recipe.

Hootin Anni said...

I'm sold!!!! When do we eat?

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Looks so good, Mary. I smell the lemon.

Amy said...

I'm so glad you commented on my blog which in turn brought me to your lovely blog. Your recipies look yummy and your pictures are so nice!!! I'll be seeing you. Have a lovely day. ~amy

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Mary! Woah!!! You have no idea how I just almost licked my monitor!!! (LOL) I was sitting here enjoying a hot cup of joe and I opened your blog and there it was.... that succulent looking Lemon Custard! (Whew) I was tempted to lick my screen... but it was a little too dusty! (LOL)

I love your recipies! :)

xoxoxoxox
Donna Marie

Tracey said...

Oooooo, I so LOVE lemon! I will have to try this recipe. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

NKP said...

Lemon is my favourite too, the tangier the better.
These look so good! Such a light dessert for summer, just perfect.

Gaby said...

how did you know that lemon custard is my favorite!!!!!! I LOVE IT!

Puna said...

Lemon custard is one of the most joyous things in life! Now please come over Mary, and tell me what the weirdest thing was that you ever ate:)

Debbie said...

That looks wonderful. I also just love desserts with lemon...

Lisa said...

The blackberries would add a great color contrast to this pretty little dessert. It sounds wonderfully luscious and summery.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Mary, I've never made a custard. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope to be in the kitchen most of the day on Sunday preparing all of these delicious recipes..hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary as usual. This looks wonderful. I think it would hit the spot about now.
XOSue

Unknown said...

yum I love everything with lemon!

Katy ~ said...

You are singing my siren song; I love lemon!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Custard and I are good friends...

a quiet life said...

i am addicted to lemons too... i just made my favorite recipe which is very similar, but with 2 c buttermilk and very little flour, it's a lemon pudding cake, no way could i invert it and have something as pretty as yours! i love your scalloped edge souffle, very pretty. gosh i am craving this again and we just polished ours off last night...

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

This is really speaking to me. :) I'm a lover of all things custard, and lemon really takes the cake!

Laura said...

This looks wonderful. We also love lemon desserts. Is it hard to get them to pop out so prettily?

Olga said...

I don't think I've ever made a custard. This one sounds super refreshing and tangy.

sweetbird said...

This looks like an outstanding way to enjoy a lemon tart. I love that it cooks so well in such small portions.

A Bowl Of Mush said...

These made my mouth water!
So elegant!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly