Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Balsamic Onion Marmalade



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are searching for a condiment to perk up the flavor of plain grilled meat, onion marmalade may be just what you're looking for. It's the homeliest of condiments, but it's awfully hard to look good when you've been caramelized and doused with balsamic vinegar. The shortcomings it's appearance present are overcome by the flavor it imparts to plain grilled pork, lamb or beef. I personally think it is too strong for poultry, but I have a friend who insists it's great with duck. At the risk of straining our relationship, I must tell you she's wrong a lot. While the marmalade is easy to make, it requires better than an hour to cook, so you'll have to plan your time accordingly. Once made, it will keep for three weeks if refrigerated. This recipe was develop by Tom Colicchio, the chef and restaurateur who heads the team of judges on Top Chef. You'll like his recipe.

Balsamic Onion Marmalade...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 large onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Directions:

1) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it slides easily across pan. Add onions, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until onions are soft.
2) Add sugar and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until onions appear dry.
3) Add vinegar and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until onions are soft and dry. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store marmalade in refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks. Yield: 2 cups.

19 comments :

Deb in Hawaii said...

Sounds (and looks!) yummy. I love the balsamic with the caramelized onions.

NKP said...

Mmm, I think it would be lovely with grilled pork. I love balsamic with onions.

Martha said...

I've eaten onion mamalade but never made any -- this sounds good and I may have to try it.

My Little Space said...

How come the onion became black in colour, Mary? Is it because of the Balsamic vineger?

Unknown said...

Your onion marmalade sounds YUMMY!!! Never have had onion marmalade, but this is something I must try. My family likes onions and I think this will be good will pork. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Puna said...

Oh Mary, I am definitely putting this into my repetoire of meat condiments. Of course, I'll to make it first and see...

Mary Bergfeld said...

Mornin' all...My Litlle Space, the balsamic vinegar turns them that almost black color.

Tracey said...

I love onions, so this is very appealing to me. I've never heard of onion marmalade before.

Cathy said...

I'll bet this is perfect with grilled steaks. Delicious, Mary.

Pam said...

I am a huge onion lover - I've never had this marmalade before but I will be making it soon. Bookmarked.

Jaynie said...

This looks like it would go wonderfully with steak or prime rib, so rich and tasty.

Anonymous said...

Anything balsamic, and I am in. This sounds delicious. It's clipped. Your friend must be laughing at this post..I hope!

L'Chicken said...

Okay, I'm in. This looks awesome!

Katy ~ said...

What a perfect condiment to my Sweetie-Pi's steak! LOVE this!

Your daughters are beautiful!

susan said...

Mary-This is a recipe I will definitely try and I know enjoy! I love the new pictures on your blog!--

Megan said...

I read this in my feeder with no picture and thought, Wow, thats right up my alley. Then I clicked on to your blog and saw the pic. No offence but that is one ugly condiment!LOL I'm still giving this a try because I know it will be great. I'm thinking left overs on a beefy sandwich. :)

pigpigscorner said...

Addicted to caramelised onions. This will go with anything!

Kate said...

Oh my! I *just* made this recipe from the 'wichcraft cookbook (trying to decide if I should give that one away, too), this weekend. While I found it very tasty, I thought it had too much personality for a turkey sandwich, which was my intention. I was curious if, next time, less balsamic would render this a little less loud. It was certainly simple to make with a complex result, I'll give it that.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kate, I hope you caught my disclaimer. I think this is too strong for poultry. It's lovely in small quantities, with burgers, steaks and chops. If you make it withless vinegar let me know how it turns out. I'd appreciate it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly