Monday, September 14, 2009

Indian Dosas



This month's Daring Cook hostess is Debyi of The Healthy Vegan Kitchen! She decided on Indian Dosas from the Refresh cookbook by Ruth Tal.

We enjoyed the recipe and heartily recommend it. It is a lot of work and the recipe as written makes a huge amount of food. If you enjoy Indian food or are just looking for something different for a change, I think you'll like this.


Indian Dosas Recipe
This recipe comes in 3 parts, the dosas, the filling and the sauce. It does take awhile to make, but the filling and sauce can be made ahead and frozen if need be. You can serve them as a main course with rice and veggies, or as an appetizer. This does take a little planning ahead, so make sure you read the recipe through before starting (I forgot & didn't start making the rice until everything was ready, oops).

Serves 4

Equipment needed:
large bowl
whisk
griddle or skillet
ladle (or large spoon)
spatula
vegetable peeler &/or knife
large saucepan
food processor or bean masher

Dosa Pancakes
1 cup (120gm/8oz) spelt flour (or all-purpose, gluten free flour)
½ tsp (2½ gm) salt
½ tsp (2½ gm) baking powder
½ tsp (2½ gm) curry powder
½ cup (125ml/4oz) almond milk (or soy, or rice, etc.)
¾ cup (175ml/6oz) water
cooking spray, if needed

Dosa Filling
1 batch Curried Garbanzo Filling (see below), heated

Dosa Toppings
1 batch Coconut Curry Sauce (see below), heated
¼ cup (125gm) grated coconut
¼ cucumber, sliced

Dosa Pancakes
1.Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, slowly adding the almond milk and water, whisking until smooth.
2.Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray your pan with a thin layer of cooking spray, if needed.
3.Ladle 2 tablespoons of batter into the center of your pan in a circular motion until it is a thin, round pancake. When bubbles appear on the surface and it no longer looks wet, flip it over and cook for a few seconds. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining batter. Makes 8 pancakes.

Curried Garbanzo (Chickpea) Filling
This filling works great as a rice bowl topping or as a wrap too, so don't be afraid to make a full batch.

5 cloves garlic
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 green pepper, finely diced (red, yellow or orange are fine too)
2 medium hot banana chilies, minced
2 TBSP (16gm) cumin, ground
1 TBSP (8gm) oregano
1 TBSP (8gm) sea salt (coarse)
1 TBSP (8gm) turmeric
4 cups (850gm/30oz) cooked or canned chick peas (about 2 cans)
½ cup (125gm/4oz) tomato paste

1.Heat a large saucepan over medium to low heat. Add the garlic, veggies, and spices, cooking until soft, stirring occasionally.
2.Mash the chickpeas by hand, or in a food processor. Add the chickpeas and tomato paste to the saucepan, stirring until heated through.

Coconut Curry Sauce
This makes a great sauce to just pour over rice as well. This does freeze well, but the texture will be a little different. The flavor is still the same though. My picture of this sauce is one that I had made, had to freeze, then thaw to use. It tastes great, but the texture is a little runnier, not quite as thick as it was before freezing.

1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
½ (2½ gm) tsp cumin, ground
¾ (3¾ gm) tsp sea salt (coarse)
3 TBSP (30gm) curry powder
3 TBSP (30gm) spelt flour (or all-purpose GF flour)
3 cups (750ml/24oz) vegetable broth
2 cups (500ml/24oz) coconut milk
3 large tomatoes, diced

1.Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, or until soft.
2.Add the spices, cooking for 1 minutes more. Add the flour and cook for 1 additional minute.
3.Gradually stir in the vegetable broth to prevent lumps. Once the flour has been incorporated, add the coconut milk and tomatoes, stirring occasionally.
4.Let it simmer for half an hour.
Happy eating!

55 comments :

chriesi said...

These look perfect!

Selba said...

Very beautiful colors...

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful dosas--I love them but have never made them. These look perfect!

Hootin Anni said...

I bet it's the almond milk that would make these ever so tasty! They look very good!! And spicy, I love spicy.

Heather S-G said...

Great job...they look so delicious!

Martha said...

You are such an adventurous cook -- I've not attempted Indian food but your results makes one want to try.

My Little Space said...

Wow, absolutely gorgeous! Looks so delicious and really salivating...yum!

Historical sites with charmine said...

Mary, I didn't expect to see dosa's here.But coming from India,let me say there is a very easy way to make these things and it's fast food here.It's always eaten for breakfast or as a snack.Never seen it combined with rice /veggies.These days they sell readymade flour....just spread and fry.

Joy Tilton said...

Very tempting! I will try my hand at making these light pancakes. Mary, do you know what I found at Walmart's bakery this weekend, fresh baked naan! I was looking for a good recipe and this filling is just perfect...

NKP said...

They are gorgeous! I am really looking forward to making them.

Cheri said...

Your dosas look delicious! Very colorful.

pigpigscorner said...

Your pancakes look great!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This is awesome. I love dosas and get them at an Indian take out place near us. But now I will have to try and make them myself.

Lyndas recipe box said...

These look perfectly gorgeous, Mary! I always enjoy your recipes and pictures.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

They look perfectly crispy. And that filling has gorgeous colors. Delicious.

surfingtheworldcuisine said...

Looks very great!!! What a successful challenge!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully done. Yours are the laciest dosa I have seen. How did you do that?

noble pig said...

The garbanzo filling is what has me in love with this!!

Jenn said...

gorgeous photo! I love how airy and light your dosas look!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous photos!! Your dosas are stunning - awesome job =D.

Mary Bergfeld said...

climbinghighak, I let the batter sit for 30 minutes before using. My pan was also screaming hot and they cook for seconds. I've never made them before so it's possible I just got lucky.

Chef Fresco said...

Nicely done! Your dosas look delicious!

Charli said...

wow your dosas look perfect! I love the little bubbles showing through!

Cheap Ethnic Eatz said...

I agrre with the laciets crepes ever. The dosas looking amazing!

Winnie said...

I love your dosas and your blog...can't wait to read more of your posts!

Maria Beatrix said...

Yummy! Very beautiful dosas.

L'Chicken said...

Oh my gosh, soooo impressed. Wish I was at your place for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Your dosas turned out beautiful..from the pancakes to the filling..magazine worthy! I only wish mine had looked as good, as maybe they would have tasted better to me..lol

Anonymous said...

Your picture looks very appetizing! Job well done :)

Angela said...

Beautiful job with this challenge! The texture of your dosas (kind of airy/bubbly) is what I associate with them in restaurants and I definitely didn't achieve that.

Sylwia said...

Mary, your dosas look amazing! I love your blog! Thanks for visiting mine!

Sara said...

Thanks for the sweet comment, Mary! Your's look amazing! I love that they are topped with fresh vegetables, I bet that adds a great crunch! Yummy, looking at these photos makes me want to make these dosas again!

Barbara Bakes said...

Great picture of your dosas! I love the chunky filling!

VeganPower said...

Oh nice pictures and very apatizing ! :)

abby said...

those are some delicious looking dosas! what flour did you use - mine looked very different.

Amy I. said...

Gorgeous photo, your dosas are popping off the screen! Great work, Mary!

Olga said...

I love the mini little holes in your dosas! Beautiful dish.

art and lemons said...

Your curry tinged dosas are picturesque!

Mary Bergfeld said...

abby, I used spelt flour for the challenge.

Lisa said...

Your photos are beautiful! I loved the dosa's as well, they were delicious. Can't wait for the next challenge! :)

Valérie said...

Lovely pictures. I love how thin and airy your dosas came out! Great job!

TaGa_Luto said...

Your dosas looks perfect. Your crepe is like an art work=;) Nice photo as well. Can't wait for the next month's challenge. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Talita said...

Your dosas look perfect!

isa said...

Your dosas came out perfectly - it looks really delicious!
And your photos are stunning!

Suzie said...

Your photo looks so bright and colourful. Glad you enjoyed them.

Katy ~ said...

I keep meaning to mention that I LOVE the new picture of Joshua. He is just adorable. And aren't YOU lovely as well!!

The dosas look dee-lish! Well done!

Olive said...

Hi Mary, :)

Your dosas are simply beautiful with gorgeous photos to boot..

Lori said...

Wow Mary they are beautiful. I need to make these.

The Sisters said...

Your dosas look great, the colors are so vibrant!

alana said...

Ooh, your dosas look beautiful. And I love the picture.

test it comm said...

Those look nice and tasty and healthy!

Pauline said...

I've been craving Indian food for a long time and seeing this, I wish I could be at your house right now! These look so delectable and authentic. I'll have to try making them soon!

Eat4Fun said...

Terrific looking photos and your challenge results look delicious! Thank you for commenting on my blog. :-)

free online adventure games said...

I've always wanted to try making my own dosas (we call it thosai here) ever since the Indian stall near my home moved away. Just wondering though, how do you get rice milk that the recipe calls for? I could use almond or soy milk but rice milk would be an interesting change.

Mary Bergfeld said...

...adventure games, the milk is always available in my grocery store. It's used a great deal here for allergic children.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly