Friday, September 25, 2009
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Frosting - Foodie Friday
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Contrary to rumor, I don't travel with my KitchenAid mixer. When we're camping or visiting places where there are no restaurants, I arm myself with simple recipes that can be prepared in minutes with nothing more sophisticated than a wooden spoon. I've made these cupcakes for years. They're simple enough for a child to prepare and they're perfect for fall. The aroma of these cakes baking perfumes the kitchen with the scents of Island spices and the promise of a Thanksgiving yet to come. I think you like these. They're a cake type muffin that's made less pedestrian with a wonderful cream cheese frosting. Here's the recipe.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Frosting...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 can (15-oz.) pumpkin puree
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 to 1 teaspoon maple extract
2 tablespoons milk or pure maple syrup
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
2) Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice in a medium bowl.
3) Combine eggs, and sugar in another medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add milk, butter and pumpkin puree; mix with whisk or wooden spoon until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until combined. Fill prepared muffin cups with batter.
4) Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 1 minute. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
5) While cakes are baking, place cream cheese, milk or maple syrup and maple extract in a bowl. Beat till combined. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until smooth and creamy. Add more milk or syrup if frosting is too stiff to spread.
6) Frost cakes and garnish as desired.
This recipe is being linked to Designs By Gollum - Foodie Friday