Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cranberry Dressing



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
Several years ago I had the good fortune to find this recipe for cranberry dressing. It was created by Chef Denis Bettinger who used it as a garnish for a luscious scallop entree. I love to use it as a dip for chicken fingers or coconut shrimp and as a sauce for turkey. I also use it as a salad dressing for baby greens. It has a vibrant color that adds immediate appeal to anything it's served with. I'm always amazed when a simple recipe that uses a handful of ingredients adds intense flavor to a dish. This wonderful sauce does that. The ingredients can be found in any grocery store and frozen cranberries can be used. You will, however, need a blender or food processor to puree the cranberries. The sauce is fairly thick, but it can be thinned with water if you'd like. If you decide to dilute the sauce, add water in a measured fashion to prevent it from becoming too thin. Here's the recipe.

Cranberry Dressing...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
2 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1-1/2 cup olive oil
fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, parsley, tarragon) to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Cook cranberries in a small amount of water until tender. Add sugar, herbs, oil and vinegar. Pureé in a blender or food processor, adding water as necessary to get the desired consistency. Use as a garnish, sauce or dip. Yield: 2 cups.

24 comments :

KathyB. said...

Oh I will most definitely be making this. I love cranberry filled foods, and this not only has my mouth watering, but it is beautiful. It will be a perfect addition to the holiday table.

susan said...

Another keeper!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

This is great... how about a glaze for the turkey we all will be making soon

This is a keeper

Martha said...

I love anything cranberry. But you can tell what I'm thinking about -- I thought it was something you put inside a bird with cranberries in it! There's a chill in the air -- feels more like November than October!

This looks good and will have to try it sometime.

Karine said...

Your cranberry dressing sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing:)

xinex said...

This looks very good. I bet this is good even just to pour over fresh spinach!...Christine

Mary Bergfeld said...

Year on the Grill ... it could be used as a finishing glaze. I wouldn't mop with it.

Foodiewife said...

What perfect timing! First, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. For tonight's dinner, I am making turkey tenderloins and I was going to make a traditional cranberry orange sauce-- your sauce is going to be the star, instead. I like the idea of a sweet and savory cranberry dressing. Lovely blog! So nice to meet you!

theUngourmet said...

This does look so amazing with the red wine and herbs. Gorgeous color!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love cranberry dressing! It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving!

Barbara said...

Love this idea and your photograph is beautiful. What a color!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What an interesting recipe using herbs with the cranberries. Great idea and gorgeous too.
Sam

George Gaston said...

Mary... another wonderful recipe addition to my holiday cooking. Love the vibrant color! Many thanks...

Pam said...

Yum! I love cranberries. I've never had cranberry dressing before but will give this recipe a try.

NKP said...

Ooh, this sounds delicious! So much more "adult" than my regular cranberry dressing.

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is beautiful and sounds so delicious, Mary! Cranberry is such a wonderful flavor.

Cathy said...

Now you've done it...I'll be thinking of coconut shrimp dunked in the beautiful sauce all evening. I'm very fond of cranberries and will definitely try this. Vibrant photo, Mary.

Katy ~ said...

I am intrigued with using this as a dressing and as a dip! This sounds so flavorful, as well as being beautiful.

Kathy Walker said...

It is cranberry time! Time to stock up. I am always on the lookout for cranberry recipes. Thank you for this one. I will be making it!

Claudia said...

I love cranberry stuff. They have huge ten gallon bags full at Farmer's Market - the idea of using it as a dip for chicken fingers is grand. Bookmarking this. Cranberries are not just for the American Thanksgiving!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This looks delicious. I made an orange cranberry sauce, the other day, but I did not blend it and that was a mistake. I think, next time, I will copy your method.

My Little Space said...

Such a refreshing dressing on the meat! Lovely colour too.

Olga said...

that does look very good! I like the combination of sour cranberries with savory herbs.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a pretty color too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly