Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Maple Chocolate Walnut Bars




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We spent most of Sunday at a Mushroom Festival held at the arboretum in our area. This is a yearly event and I really look forward to it. Many of the Master Gardeners volunteer for the event. I'm not among them because I want the day to peruse and learn and touch base with folks I haven't seen since the last show. If you're into mushrooms there are some prestigious elbows to be rubbed here and that's hard to do when you are manning an exhibit. My guilty conscience is assuaged by donating baked goods for the cold wet volunteers who do what I should be doing. This Sunday I made several pans of these wonderful bar cookies. They are embarrassingly easy to make and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like them. I'd love to tell you it's a gourmet creation. It's not. The recipe comes the Eagle Brand test kitchen. I don't know if my experience is unique, but I have extremely good luck with recipes from these kitchens and I never hesitate to try the ones they feature. Today's recipe requires no special equipment and it's very easy to do. The bars are wonderfully flavorful and they are crowd pleasers. Nuff' said. Here's the recipe.

Maple Chocolate Walnut Bars
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Eagle Brand Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter
2 large eggs
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup (6 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 F. Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1 egg. Press evenly into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
2) Bake 25 minutes. Beat sweetened condensed milk, remaining 1 egg and maple flavoring in medium bowl. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over partially baked crust. Top with walnut mixture, spreading evenly to edges.
3) Bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool. Cut into bars. Yield: 36 bars.

34 comments :

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

These are absolutely stunning bars. I am going to print up the recipe. This is a recipe, I think, everyone is going to like. Thanks.

Jaynie said...

Great pictures. These look so yummy and easy.

theUngourmet said...

I have a can of this condensed milk in my cupboard right now. I've been wanting to do something with it. I know what to do now! These look amazing!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Looks wonderful!

Cathie said...

they look great, spotted them on tastespotting & had to pop by for a visit. fantastic blog!

Coleens Recipes said...

I was looking for something to bake tomorrow, these look PERFECT. I love baking with SCM.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Mary your Maple Chocolate Bars just exude Fall. These sound perfect for sharing with the neighbors on Halloween!

Hootin Anni said...

I read your blog entry title in my Google reader, and started swallowing hard...knowing by the time I saw your photo share, I'd be drooling. And I am.

You torture me Mary.
But ohhhhhhh, my....so so good. I can smell them baking, I can TASTE 'em too.

Cathy said...

Ooey, gooey and delicious. Maple is one of my favorite flavors this time of year. My family will love this, Mary.

Frenchie said...

I don't care if this is not gourmet, all that matters is that they look good. Just the thing to have a square of on a rainy, gross afternoon. Thanks for the great recipe and beautiful pictures.

Lori said...

Hmmmm. These sound perfectly decadent.

I just looked at their site. I have some condensed milk that I need to use- what a perfect place to find the right recipe.

annies home said...

those look delicious

Dee said...

oh, wow mary. these look AMAZING. i was going to make my dad some praline brownies to cheer him up, but i might try these instead! they look ridiculous!

Puna said...

I'm going to try this. It has one of my most favorite ingredients, sweetened condensed milk. A whole can! Yum!

Allie said...

Yummy my mouth is watering!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These are very drool worthy sweets! Bookmarking for my husband-he'll love these! And so will I.

Suzanne said...

Yummy!

Pam said...

Oh Mary - these have me drooling. I love maple/chocolate. YUM!

Debbie said...

Oh...those look good. Definitely my kind of food!

George Gaston said...

Mary, these are truly decadent rich looking bars. Bet they are unbelievably delicious. Thanks...

The Cooking Photographer said...

Lol! I do that too. Bake for something to ease my guilt. They look so moist and gooey Mary, I would likely eat the pan before they arrived!

Laura

Katy ~ said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my. Your cookies just leap off the screen (and I wish into my mouth!).

Claudia said...

These look heavenly - just divine. I think your wet, cold volunteers are very lucky. I'd volunteer for some!

Unknown said...

Those look so gooey and good,perfect for the season,and I'm jealous you got to go to a mushroom fesitival. :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Hooray for condensed milk!

Allie said...

Oh, god Mary. I will be making these as soon as the pumpkin pie bars are eaten up! Holy cow they look amazing.

Megan said...

It was love at first site! I'm thinking I might have to make these. :)

Donna-FFW said...

I love recipes like these Mary. Simple but packing loads of taste.

My Little Space said...

I'm totally drooling with these nice looking chocolate walnut bars! Look so moist and tsaty lol.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Great flavors! Just perfect for fall!

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh Mary, you would have to physically remove me from the dessert plate with these on it! They are wonderful!

L'Chicken said...

Okay, sold. I can almost sink my teeth into the gooey deliciousness just from the photographs.

When I lived in CA, I would attend the Mendocino mushroom festival every year-- oh how I miss it!

noble pig said...

These sound and look amazing, so right up my alley as a nut lover!

Olga said...

you have no idea how much I'd love something like this for breakfast :) instead, have oatmeal.

Condensed milk is awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly