Sunday, December 20, 2009

Linzer Cookies



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I love Linzertorte when it's made by someone other than myself. It's a lot of work to assemble and I have trouble with the lattice that typically covers it. I make up for it's absence on our dessert table by making Linzer cookies for the holiday. The cookies are very easy to do and the ingredients used to make them are the same as those used in the torte. While the cookies are far simpler to assemble than the torte, they need to be chilled before being rolled. That means you'll need to build wait time into your plans should you decide to make these luscious morsels. These are basically a butter rich sandwich cookie. It can be a trick to get the top and bottom layers to line up with so soft a dough. I recently read the problem can be overcome by rolling the cookies on parchment paper and transferring the paper to a cookie sheet, rather than attempting to move the cookies. Makes sense. I still haven't tried it, but I've put it on my must try list for the coming year. Linzer cookies are traditionally filled with black currant jam. That can be hard to come by, so feel free to use whatever jam you have available. Raspberry and apricot are always safe alternatives. If the dough becomes too soft as you are working with it, return it to the refrigerator to chill again. All scraps can be saved and reused if they are chilled before an attempt is made to roll them. If you keep the dough cold and use a cookie cutter no more than 2 inches in diameter, you'll have no problem making this classic cookie. Here's the recipe.

Linzer Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup ( 2 sticks) sliced butter at room temperature
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg, separated
2/3 cup finely chopped almonds, divided use
1/3 to 1/2 cup good jam or jelly

Directions:
1) Combine flour, butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk and 1/3 cup almonds in bowl of a food processor. Blend until a smooth dough is formed. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. I chill my dough for 3 to 4 hours before rolling.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
3) Roll dough on a well-floured board until it is 1/8-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter or thimble to cut centers from half of cookies. Brush cookies with centers removed with egg white. Sprinkle with reserved 1/3 cup almonds and 3 tablespoons sugar. Plain rounds should be left without topping. Transfer cookies to prepared cookie sheets.
4) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until edges just begin to brown and center of cookie is set. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
5) Top each plain cookie with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Cover with a cut out cookie making sure to keep almond-sugar side up. Yield: about 50 sandwich cookies.

19 comments :

Jeanette said...

I love linzer cookies.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love linzer cookies when they are soft and chewy and oozy with jam--these look perfect!

Chef E said...

I had a client who used to bring me these for a Christmas present each year from a 'hot' French Bakery in Dallas, and I enjoyed them so much...since I am not the baker as I often say I might not take these on, but you look like yours are gorgeous! I bet they taste great!

susan said...

Mary-If you have trouble with the torte, there is no hope for me :)--maybe not even the cookies! The parchment paper sounds like a good idea. Hope all is well with the new baby..can't wait to hear more. Merry Christmas!

Martha said...

These are one of my favorite that I don't make often enough -- I guess I didn't realize that the traditional jam was black currant -- I've always thought it was raspberry!

Yes, black currant is hard to find but I'll look for it next time I go to the Commissary -- they always have some great imported foods especially jams!

George Gaston said...

Mary, What a spectacular looking treat! From the time I was a wee lad, I have loved a Linzer cookie. They always say, "Happy Holidays" ~ many thanks for sharing this classic cookie.

Lea Ann said...

These cookies look beautiful. I haven't done much baking yet. I also love that plate. Great photo. I now have two weeks off work, so will now have some time.

Shellbelle said...

I was so happy you posted this recipe today. A friend brought me two jars of homemade strawberry jam this week and I was going to do a search for this recipe. Yes, this was One Perfect post for me today! Thanks

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

so many cookies from everyone... sugar overload

bj said...

These sound wonderful and they are really pretty cookies.
I have always loved linzers...
Thanks for the recipe.
Have a blessed and fun Christmas..
bj

Foley said...

This is the recipe I'm looking forward to make this year for the first time - saving it for last however!
Have my new Linzer cutters I bought after the holidays last year.
Thanks for the tips...

Karen said...

These look so pretty on your red plate. Perfect for Christmastime!

nancy said...

Hi Mary
Thank you for your comments on my blog.
As you saw painting is my passion. But a second close is cooking! I printed off your Budapest Coffee Cake recipe to make for my coffee friends on Tuesday.
You have some wonderful recipes on your blog I want to try.
Nancy

Katy ~ said...

Gosh those are pretty. I don't have the patience to make these, but I sure have the desire to indulge, grins.

Arlene Delloro said...

One of my favorite cookies, too. These look wonderful. I love mine with raspberry filling.

theUngourmet said...

I'm with Katy. I don't know if I would be up for making these myself but I'd love to eat a few of them! Yum! These would be great with a nice cup of coffee.

Claudia said...

I love the looks of these 9and the taste). I tend not to do them - I always think they're hard and I'll get impatient - but you have inspired me.

My Little Space said...

Oh yum... I love these cookies! I'm sure you grandsons would love these very much.

Foodiewife said...

These are on my cookie list, because they are a favor. Having explored Austria with my mom, I have a special fondness for these. My homemade raspberry jam is waiting to be transformed! I can't wait! Yours look lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly