Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Savory Mushroom Puff - Outdoor Wednesday









From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The cakes and cookies have all been baked and safely stored. Now, like it or not, it's time to get back to kitchen basics and think about making a "real" meal or two. This mushroom puff is a cross between a crustless quiche and a souffle and it is one of my favorite casseroles for a holiday breakfast or brunch. It's really simple to do and the few ingredients that are used to assemble it provide great texture and a unique flavor. The dish can be oven ready in 15 minutes and on the table within an hour. It holds well and can be served hot from the oven or warm. It can also be reheated. It would be wonderful to serve for breakfast on Christmas or New Year's morning. The casserole rises slightly in the oven, a bit like a souffle, and, while it deflates quickly, it has great color and visual appeal. The recipe can be doubled without a problem. Here's how it's done.

Savory Mushroom Puff
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
4 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
1/2 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 cups sliced mushrooms
6 large eggs, beaten
1 cup baking mix (i.e. Bisquick)
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley + parsley for garnish
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square glass pan and set aside.
2) Line bottom of pan with bread slices.
3) Combine sausage, onions and mushrooms and sprinkle them over bread slices.
4) Combine eggs, baking mix, milk, mustard, mayonnaise, parsley, sage and cheese in a bowl. Pour into pan.
5) Place a baking sheet under pan. Transfer to oven. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cut into squares and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Yield: 9 servings.

This is being linked to:
Outdoor Wednesday - A Southern Daydreamer

30 comments :

Haden News said...

I was looking for a special breakfast dish for Christmas morning! This sounds perfect! Thanks Mary, and have a Merry Christmas!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Mary...
You always come through right when I need you. I thank you for sharing this one. I so needed something for our Christmas breakfast this year, as we will not be eating dinner until about 4pm. You are a jewel my friend. Thanks for sharing.

Please stop by and say hi. I so love it when you do. Country hugs and so much love sweetie...Sherry

D said...

Mary, we trust you are having a wonderful time with family. "Serious" food is on my list and this looks like a recipe I can put in the oven. Thank you.

Unknown said...

that looks so good, i mean, the mushroom puff. the wintry scene is gorgeous!

Light and Voices said...

The wintery scene could be a Hallmark Christmas card. Nice job! Your recipe posted sounds delicious.
Joyce M

Chef E said...

Your food over here is awesome, and that is an outdated word, but it is because I am in Awe, and then some...as I drool at this one...

Browned tops like that make them scream 'EAT ME' too...

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful snow scene! Your mushroom Puff looks delicious and easy enough for me to try.
Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

bj said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. we love anything with sausage and cheese!! Thanks so much for sharing...
MERRY CHRISTMAS..
xo bj

My Little Space said...

Oh my, this is such a classy breakfast! Do I need to put on napkin for this.... actually I've already salivating. yummm....

Hootin Anni said...

Mmmmm, I haven't had my breakfast yet...you so tempt me.

Love the winter scene too.

I have a Christmas wish along with my usual Wednesday post today. [the Wednesday issue of posting is below my 'card' posted just for you....]

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

...for the permalink to my day's post, click here.

NKP said...

Oh my, that sounds wonderful! I love mushrooms, this would be right up my alley.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mary, this looks absolutely divine. It truly is "one perfect bite!"

I wanted to wish you and your family all the joys of the holiday season. I count getting to know you through your blog a true blessing. And speaking of which, I hope you are blessed beyond measure on Christmas and always.

Merry Christmas!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Chubskulit Rose said...

White Christmas, stunning!

THe Savory Mushroom Puff looks delish!

Please come and see my Outdoor post. Merry Christmas.

Shelly @ Experimental Culinary Pursuits said...

This looks like the perfect potluck dish! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Walker said...

Perfect! I would love coming in from the outside to enjoy this dish!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I love the winter scene. But it makes me worry about you getting out to see that Grandbaby... hope all goes well

Happy Holidays

Shellbelle said...

Well, now I see I will have to run back out to the market for mushrooms!

This will be perfect to pack up in my carrier and take to my daughter's for Christmas morn.

What would my holidays be like without you Mary? Since I've turned over the vast majority of the cooking to my daughter this year, something new and special will be a big hit!

Karen said...

What a perfect breakfast or brunch casserole for any time of the year!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

What a beautiful dish...sounds so divine...Merry Christmas!!!

KathyB. said...

This looks and sounds soooooo good! I tire very quickly of sweets and this time of year, way before Christmas, I want real food! I am making this.

Janice - Meal Makeover Moms said...

Hmmm... this sounds delicious and I have mushrooms and sausage in the fridge. Love the puff!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

That casserole looks good & I'm hungry .Beautiful snow pic .
Merry Christmas !
~Myrna

a quiet life said...

not sure which i like better, the snow or food, they both are terrific! wanted to wish you a very merry christmas and thank you so much for sharing your pics at food with style!

motherrimmy said...

Can't beat sausage and cheese! Mushrooms are a favorite in my family. Merry Christmas!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I was thinking this looked like the perfect breakfast dish--so golden and puffy!

sherri@lavenderfields said...

MMMM! I think I want to come for Christmas dinner at Marys house! That looks like a good Brunch recipe. I make one I think its called The Wife Saver! But this looks good with the mushrooms! Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas. And thanks for all your wonderful recipes! They are very appreciated! Sherri

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

That winter scene looked like it did here on Saturday. Now I just need to have my table look like the other photo. Thanks for sharing both. Merry Christmas.

Katy ~ said...

Mary, in a season of many sweets, this recipe is welcomed and appreciated.

free online adventure games said...

After the Christmas feasting, this recipe could actually make a good way of using up the leftovers. Sausage, mushroom... But it still sounds like a great recipe!

peps said...

this looks delicious!!!...especially with this kind of weather!!!!i will try it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly