Thursday, January 28, 2010

Game Day Chili-Mac Skillet



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...One of my favorite blogs is For the Love of Cooking. It's one of those sites that never fails to please. The photos are great, the recipes delicious and the writer an absolute charmer. Recently Pam featured a recipe for Italian Goulash that took me back to a casserole that made regular appearances on our table when the children were at home. I also serve it - then and now - for game day get-togethers with good friends. It's not meant to impress and it's best to think of it as grub at its finest. This is what happens when you combine chili with mac n' cheese. The dish takes ten minutes to prepare, twenty-five minutes to cook and uses just one pan. You can alter heat and spices to taste. You can also control the amount and type of cheese you use. Here's the base recipe. I hope you'll make this one your own.

Game Day Chili-Mac Skillet...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 (14.5-oz.) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (15.25-oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
1/4 cup water
1 (4-oz.) can diced green chili peppers, drained
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
Optional garnish: chopped cilantro or parsley

Directions:
1) Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add ground meat, onions and garlic salt; cook until meat is brown and onions are tender. Pour off accumulated drippings.
2) Add beans, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, macaroni, water, green chili peppers, cumin, chili powder to meat mixture. Bring contents of skillet to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer, stirring frequently, until macaroni is tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle top with cheese. Cover pan and heat until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if using. Yield: 6 servings.

18 comments :

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Mary, this looks wonderful. I have forwarded it to both my daughters since I know their kids would love it. I did not expect you to be posting so much. Take care and rest and follow orders. Hugs.

George Gaston said...

Mary, what time is the kickoff? This looks really delicious. Great recipe... Thanks

noble pig said...

This looks like the perfect game day eats!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Howdya do dear Mary...besides doing delicious ie....
Hope u do take all the rest u need....
love is in the air and i wish u loads of it....

theUngourmet said...

Mmm Mmm Good!! My family would definitely dig into this dish with gusto! Great recipe for game day!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Sounds quick and easy to make. Perfect for game day.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Mary - your recipe is very similar to mine. Get well soon!!

:)
ButterYum

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better, Mary.

Martha in KS

Ginger said...

Hi Mary,

Wonderful photos and this looks unbelievable!! I am definitely adding this to my Game Day menu. Happy weekend :-)

Chef Aimee said...

Ooo...a chili and mac and cheese combo? Now that is perfect for game day!

JG said...

This would be great to prepare and eat when Saturday afternoon college football is on in the fall.

Zurin said...

Hope ur better today Mary. this looks really great!.. n that was a great blog you mentioned... i went over to look and I liked it a lot! tq

From the Old InkWell said...

Sounds deeeeeeelicious! And so so sorry about your shoulder! Allow yourself some well-deserved rest, I'm sure!

Joan said...

Game or no game-this will be on our table this weekend! We're getting another snowstorm, I go to get ingredients today, and this will be perfect to eat by the fire! Hope you are feeling better!

pigpigscorner said...

I can have this everyday! Chili and pasta...yum...

Katy ~ said...

I could dive face first into that delicious photo. It looks sooooo good!!

Pam said...

You just made my day - thanks for your sweet words Mary!

The chili mac looks amazing, bookmarked.

Foodiewife said...

Silly me! I forgot to add you to my Google RSS feed, so I've missed several of your fine recipes. I've remedied that. Skillet dinners are perfect for weeknights. Along with your rice salad, this recipe goes into my son's Beginning Cooking file, but first I'll have to make it for my husband. This is an easy recipe, but I can already imagine the flavors working together perfectly.
(Your #1 Fan)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly