Sunday, January 3, 2010

Marinated Mushrooms





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I always try to include these mushrooms with my antipasti platters. They marry well with cubes of cheese, assorted olives, roasted peppers and assorted sliced salumi. Try them and you find yourself in a true, vegan and diet friendly, nosher's paradise. The mushrooms are exceeding easy to put together and are budget friendly to boot. I also like to serve these as a salad topping or as a first course for casual company meals. Flavor is best if they are left to chill overnight. Here's the recipe for one of my easiest, and best, appetizers. I hope you'll try it.

Marinated Mushrooms...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 pound fresh cremini or white button mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup minced red onion
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon each black peppercorns and coriander seeds
Optional garnish: 1 tablespoon drained, chopped pimento

Directions:

Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Simmer mushroom caps in salted water for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic, red onion, oregano, parsley, salt, peppercorns and coriander. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving. Garnish with pimento for color. Yield: 4 servings.

23 comments :

olegraymare said...

Really enjoy your posts. The mushrooms look incredible. Reading thru the recipe, I don't find parsley listed as an ingredient but it does appear in the instructions as an addition. How much to add? Fresh? Also, the red "flakes" in the photo do not look like red onions, and I can find no other ingredient that would be that bright, candy apple color. Is there another addition? Thanks!

Mary Bergfeld said...

A thousand thanks, olegraymare. I've corrected the recipe. It now includes fresh parsley in the ingredient list. The red flakes are actually pimento pieces that I added while trying to take a decent picture. The mushrooms looked drab and something was needed to brighten the photo. I've also included an optional pimento garnish in the ingredient list. Again my thanks. Have a great New Year.

bj said...

O, my...these look delicious. Must try that.
Hope your Christmas and New Year's Day were wonderful...
xo bj

Coleens Recipes said...

I love mushrooms, and this looks like a real treat.

Unknown said...

The photo are incredible !
And with all the herbs and above all the pimento, it seems so delicious !

Donna-FFW said...

I will add these to my next antipasto platter. I dont have a go to recipe for them, I usually buy them to add. Thanks, Mary!

KathyB. said...

I could eat these any time, any where, with anything. Thanks!

Kat said...

Thanks for this recipe Mary! If I'd known how easy these were to make, I would have quit buying them years ago. Just think of the money I could have saved lol. Hope that you had a great trip to Austin. Did you get to partake of any of our fabulous restaurants? Happy New Year to you! Kathy

George Gaston said...

Mary, these mushrooms look absolutely delicious! This would be a great appertizer to have on-hand when guest drop by.

Hope you are enjoying the winter weather in CT and keeping the family warm with your creative cooking & baking. Many thnks for this great recipe...

motherrimmy said...

I've saved this recipe. The mushrooms look delicious, and I'm sure they'll be a hit at my next dinner party! Thanks!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

How pretty and I just know I will love these mushrooms.

Chef E said...

My taste buds were tickled by some pickled veggies yesterday, now these seem to want to dance off the page and into my mouth!

Soma said...

These look incredibly delicious. I am going to try this very soon. Love the flavors and can imagine these to be a big hit for parties.

Mausi said...

HI Mary, Happy New Year! I have nominated you for a Kreativ blogger award as one of my favorite blog. Please come visit my blog and see how it works. Thank you!

Claudia said...

I make these. I love these.No anti[asti platter is complete without them. And when my kids were young,my non-eating mushroom daughter would eat these!

Martha said...

These sure do look scrumptious Mary. They will be a perfect addition to my game day buffets.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

These absolutely sound drool worthy...

I have made marinated shrooms in the past, but usually I stuff them with stuff...

I am loving these

Are we ever gonna get to see you with that grandbaby???

CC said...

I will most certainly try these. They sound delicious, and I like mushrooms any way they're made. Specially the really garlicky ones. Yum..

Kathy said...

Happy New Year Mary, I have enjoyed your posts this last year and look forward to many more in 2010, your photographs and recipes are mouthwateringly delicious.

Alessandra said...

Nice, really nice! Thank you!

Katy ~ said...

A wonderful recipe for an appetizer or with on an antipasto plate. A recipe likes this adds so much to the appetizer table. Thank you!

My Little Space said...

This recipe simply gorgeous! Have never try to make it plain just like yours. Looks pretty inviting too. yumm...

Susana Gomes said...

I think it's my first comment here, but i'm a regular visitant here. :)
I've made this recipe as one of the starters in the first party-dinner i've given in my new house, for the family.
So simple, and so delicious!
My husband is a huge fan of mushrooms so that's a recipe to repeat, that's for sure.
Thanks for sharing all this wonderful recepies and congratulations.
My bog is in portuguese, but you can see my post in an automatic translation here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=pt&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnosoup-foryou.blogspot.com%2F&langpair=pt|en

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly