Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Texas-Style Gnarled Beer Bread and Other Good Things from Austin



Gnarled Beer Bread



My Texas Grandsons



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...One of the wonders of Texas cooking is beer bread. Texans eat it with barbecue and chili and other meals where cornbread might appropriately be served. It has a distinctive flavor and a gnarled appearance that's formed by dropping spoonfuls of a simple beer batter into copious quantities of melted butter prior to baking. The butter bubbles up through the bread as it cooks and forms craters of dough that many think resemble monkey bread. While I slice the bread for guests, I must admit that we pull off chunks of it when there is just family at the table. While I'm presenting a bare bones version of the recipe, finely grated cheese, chives or chili peppers can be added. Don't stint on the quality or flavor of the beer you use in this recipe. It is, after all, beer bread. Stout is too strong for my taste, but I love to use Draught Guinness or a dark beer when I make it. This is ridiculously easy to make and I think you'll enjoy it as a sometime replacement for corn bread. If you have leftovers toast or warm them to serve. Here's the recipe.

Texas-Style Gnarled Beer Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite and Rebecca Rather's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe


Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 (12-oz.) bottle good beer or ale
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in beer. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix. The dough will be thick, heavy and very sticky. Pour half of melted butter into a loaf pan. Spoon clumps of dough into pan. Pour remaining half of butter on top of dough.
3) Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown. Top of loaf will be gnarled. Remove from pan and serve hot. Yield: 1 loaf or 10 servings.

38 comments :

xinex said...

Looks very good and different. I have never had beer bread but wouldn't mind trying some...Christine

Barbara Jean said...

Mary,
Just came by to say hi.
I so appreciate when i see you have come to visit.

blessings in 2010.

barbara jean

jeanne said...

Hello Mary, it is very late but I wanted to say hello. Your grandsons are so handsome. Grands are the biggest blessing in our lives. I adore mine too.

I have made beer bread only once and it is very good and EASY. I will try your recipe and think about the beer I buy. I never gave it a thought before, but it does make sense.

I better get to bed as our puppy is an early riser.

Hugs, Jeanne

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a fun bread--it looks delicious too.

Kat said...

Yumm! One of my favorites Mary. I like to use Shiner Bock in mine and it really is easy and delicious. Looks like you had a great time in Austin, your grands are adorable. Kathy

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'm slightly gnarled myself but I don't look quite as tasty!

Donna-FFW said...

Ive never seen anything like that before. I love coming here. I learn something new every time.

The boys are adorable! You are very blessed.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

What handsome young men, your grandsons! Grandsons are the greatest! I also have two from two different families. My oldest grandson will graduate from Harvard in May and my youngest grandson just celebrated his 4th birthday! They create the most wonderful memories for us!

Also, that Beer Bread looks so delicious, I am sitting here wishing I could taste it right now! Thanks for posting this! Happy New Year! Coralie

Hootin Anni said...

I've not heard it called "Gnarled" before, but beer bread it is!!

Cute Texas Grandsons Mary!!!

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh Mary...I think I have to make this today! Sounds awesome...especially with a little cheese added in. I bet we'd be pickin' like crazy...no knife required :) Delish!

Debbie said...

Hi Mary! What a different looking beer bread! I'd love to try that one. Your grandsons are adorable...so handsome!

Barbara said...

Love the photos of your grandsons!

The beer bread looks absolutely delicious! The top really does look gnarled. Copying now.

Happy New Year!

Martha said...

I love beer bread but my recipe is different -- beer, self rising flour and butter! It goes together in a thrice and sliced makes excellent breakfast toast!

Austin is a great place -- made even greater for you by your family living there. We had relatives in Blanco (the Hill Country -- not far from Austin). We always stopped in Austin on the way down!

The Blonde Duck said...

My home town is Austin! You're speaking to my heart!

La Table De Nana said...

I see what you mean by and other good things:) Beautiful boys:)I bet the bread is good too!

Arlene Delloro said...

Never heard of this before, but it looks mighty tasty.

George Gaston said...

Mary, this is an awesome recipe and easy, too! Nothing like warm bread with soups & chilies.

Looks like your grandsons have your good looks and personility ~ two lucky guys!

NKP said...

Delicious! That would be so perfect with chili!

Allie said...

Ah hah! So you're the one sending all the cold weather to us Texans! The boys are getting so handsome and tall!

We love our beer bread and you're right the cheese and peppers added make it even better.

Liesl said...

Oh man do I love beer bread!! It is so delicious!

noble pig said...

I love that gnarled look and those cute boys too!

Claudia said...

I've had Irish beer breads but never Texas-style. Is totally mouth-watering and the kids are gorgeous!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Beer bread with BBQ... You betcha!

Killians Red man myself

lisa said...

Looks delicious!

Your Texas boys are cute as buttons!

shy said...

Texan beer bread looks delicious. I never tasted it yet, it looks yummy and it made me wanna grab your post andeat it. Happy new year Ms. Mary and to your family.

Bob said...

This, I have to try. It looks amazing!

The Chef In My head said...

Mary, I am beginning to acknowledge that we Texans do a lot of cooking with beer. Beer bicuits for breakfast here on a regular basis. This bread sounds great, I will have to give it a try. -LeslieMichele (Spring Branch, TX)

The Cooking Photographer said...

I am allergic to corn and have yet to find a good bread sub. I printed this one to try with veggie chili. Thanks Mary!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Those beautiful grandsons are just aching for a grandma hug!! I will try this bread one day. I wish I could taste it now.

Pam said...

My husband would love me to make some beer bread for him. It looks delicious.

Shirl said...

Hi thanks for stopping by, looks delish, I'll have to give it a try!
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

My Little Space said...

Haven't try out this recipe yet! It's in my list to do for quite awhile. Yours look a little chewy on top... must be tramendous fragrant!

Lori said...

I have never made beer bread with all the butter but I must say it sounds very tastey! Interesting to know- always something interesting on your site Mary.

Katy ~ said...

Those sweet faces make me smile from the inside out; handsome young men indeed!

I've never had beer bread, but it certainly sounds good. Bet it's good with chili!

fg said...

Just stumbled upon you blog! I love it and I am making this recipe NOW! I will let you know how it comes out!

Gypsy Heart said...

Hi,
I just found your blog and already love all the recipes! I'm a native Texan, living in the DFW area. Beer bread is sort of a staple for most folks in Texas so thanks for sharing the recipe so that others might enjoy!

I look forward to more of your recipes and wonderful stories.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Pat, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I'm so glad that you'll be joining us on a regular basis.

April said...

WOW! This is SOOOOOOO simple and tastes WONDERFUL! I had to make myself stop eating it! It's that good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly