Thursday, February 11, 2010

Smothered Eggs in Spoonbread



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Curiosity and experimentation led me to the version of the recipe you see today. I'm the child of died in the wool Yankees, so it should come as no surprise to hear that I was nearly 40 before spoonbread crossed my lips. Sad to say, it was not love at first bite. Spoonbread, for those unfamiliar with it, is a bit like a pudding or souffle made with cornmeal. While I liked the texture, I thought it was very bland and didn't bother with it for another 20 years. I revisited it because I was looking for new ways to serve baked eggs and thought spoonbread might work if the ingredients could be revved up. That can sometime be dangerous, especially if you're working on recipes for breakfast or brunch. I think I finally have the right balance for this one. It's perfect for a holiday brunch or breakfast in bed. I've added andouille sausage and red pepper flakes so this is definitely spoonbread with an attitude. If you'd like to try something different for a change, I recommend this. I've scaled the recipe for two but it can be doubled if need be. One caution, don't overcook these. You want the egg set but not hard cooked and the center of the spoonbread should be pudding moist. Here's the recipe.

Smothered Eggs in Spoonbread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Jesse Ziff Cool

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
4 eggs, divided use
1/4 cup butter, divided use
1/2 cup milk
4 ounces Andouille, cut in 1/2-inch dice
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two (2-cup) ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
2) Combine water, salt, sugar and cornmeal in a medium saucepan. Gradually bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until cornmeal thickens. Add 3 tablespoons butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
3) Separate two eggs. Add yolks to milk. Stir into cornmeal mixture. Fold in sausage and onions and let cool for 15 minutes. Add baking powder, thyme and pepper flakes. Mix well.
4) Meanwhile beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold whites, one third at a time into cornmeal mixture.
5) Spoon half of batter into ramekins. Crack an egg in center of each one. Spread remaining batter over eggs but do not cover them completely. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until egg white is firm and yolk cooked. Serve hot. Yield: 2 servings.

23 comments :

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

So much of deliciousness on ur blog always sweetie pie Mary....

Allie and Pattie said...

I LOVE this recipe, Mary! Very creative and you can just TELL it's fabulous. I am saving this for the weekend-thank you!
xoxo Pattie

Martha said...

What a great idea -- I've never tasted spoonbread although I've heard of it!

George Gaston said...

Mary, you have definitely taken spoonbread to a new dimension! I have had many a spoonbread, but never one like this. I can't wait to give yours a try. Many thanks....

The Muse said...

we have a farm....and we have chickens...and thus loads of eggs...delighted thus to find new recipes! wonderful!

Kathy said...

I have never heard of spoonbread and am intriqued, your eggs in spoonbread looks yummy, Kathy

Claudia said...

Also always look for another way to bake eggs - I love the presentation. Grand creation - festive and fun for Valentine's brunch.

Ashleigh said...

I wanna be you when I grow up.

Bob said...

I've never had spoonbread either, probably from living in Boston all my life. Heh. Yours looks awesome though!

Big Dude said...

I've never eaten spoonbread but, but as a breakfast lover, I'm always on the lookout for something new and this definitely will be. looks yummy

NKP said...

Sounds great! I have never had spoonbread.

Sarah said...

This looks and sounds amazing! It would be a great last minute dinner too . . . may have to try it soon! The addition of andouillie is always a favorite in our home!

Best,
Sarah

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

It looks delicious. Can you believe I have never has spoonbread before?

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous adaption!

dana said...

Hi Mary, This sounds so yummy. . .especially cuz I've been under the weather for a few days....it sounds like comfort food!

Loved the referral you gave in your previous post....what a wonderful blogger! Thank you!

Dana

DailyChef said...

I like trying new things...spoonbread, here I come!

Pam said...

I've never had something like this before - it looks great.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Sausage and cornmeal and green onions... yes please! Funnily enough I never heard of spoonbread growing up in Texas but do love the idea of this intrinsically southern dish. Gorgeous post, as always.

Deb in Hawaii said...

That looks the perfect breakfast for a slow Sunday morning. ;-)

pigpigscorner said...

I've never heard of this! Love hte hidden egg.

Kim said...

I love this this recipe has andouille in it - sounds delicoius.

Unknown said...

New visitor to your blog...love Southern foods and this looks creative and amazing!

Marguerite said...

Hi Mary, This spoonbread recipe looks fab, and so does your whole blog! Will be trying it soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly