Sunday, March 21, 2010

Moroccan Carrots



From the kitchen One Perfect Bite...As babies, my children ate orange vegetables with such abandon that they occasionally radiated a jaundiced glow. We didn't have that problem as they became older. The carrots and sweet potatoes they loved as infants became a hard-sell at the dinner table. I couldn't understand it. I happen to love carrots, but then I'm also a beet lover, so, I'm probably a poor barometer of public taste and vegetable consumption. I set out to find or create recipes for vegetables that were so appealing that they couldn't be refused. I found today's recipe, which comes from New York Magazine, while on a quest to add color to our Easter table. I traditionally make lamb on Easter Sunday. While working through the various options at my disposal, I decided to give this recipe a try. I'm so glad I did. These carrots are flavored with the spices of Morocco, and they pair wonderfully well with lamb or any plain roasted meat. The carrots, which are very easy to prepare, should be refrigerated for at least 8 hours, but be sure to serve them at room temperature.

Moroccan Carrots...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Chef Einat Admony

Ingredients:

2 pounds carrots, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for sautéing
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced pinch of cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar

Directions:
1) Place carrots in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil, cooking until slightly tender but not overdone, approximately 15 minutes depending on size of carrots. Drain and place carrots in cold water until cool. Slice diagonally into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
2) In a large skillet, sauté carrot slices in olive oil until slightly brown, cooking them in small batches if your pan becomes crowded.
3) Place carrots in a bowl, add olive oil and remaining ingredients, and mix well. For best results, refrigerate overnight and serve at room temperature. Yield: 5 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:

Herb Roasted Carrots - One Perfect Bite
Braised Carrots and Shallots - One Perfect Bite
Creamy Carrot Soup - One Perfect Bite

30 comments :

Arlette said...

This side dish is delicious
I will give you another idea since you said your children like orange.
slice your carrot, add fresh orange juice and boil them for couple minutes to slightly tender, add a dab of butter fresh cilantro and garlic and saute.. Serve and remember me.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Arlette, thank you. I promise to remember you :-).

♥ Kathy said...

My middle daughter turned orange from eating so many carrots when she was a baby :) She never grew out of it though and still loves them today!

Angie's Recipes said...

I actually thought of cooking some carrots and peas for the dinner...but got distracted by a movie and ended up eating some bread.
I am very sure that I will love this carrot dish as it contains so many spices that I love, esp. the cumin! Great click too!

Unknown said...

That looks lovely. Carrots, cumin, garlic, cayenne,... oh yum!

Hungry Dog said...

I absolutely adore carrots, prepared in almost any form, and will definitely be bookmarking this recipe. Thanks!

Allie and Pattie said...

And I thought my kids were the only ones that "forgot" that they used to love a food! I'll give these a try if it will make my boys touch a vegetable!
xoxo Pattie

SallyBR said...

I love carrots made this way!

(have been out of the country, but managed to catch up with all your recent posts... awesome!)

Hayley said...

My family loves carrots...like your version too and Also Arlette's..looks delicious and tasty...

NKP said...

Mmm, I love the spicing in them. My daughter turned orange as an infant too.. she loved her carrots and sweet potatoes!

Ana Powell said...

So delicious and simple x

Rachana said...

This looks really delicious:) I love Carrots:)

Unknown said...

I have never seen this recipe with the pan frying step and O yum! that has upped the delicious meter!

Light and Voices said...

I love visiting your blog because there are always interesting recipes to try out.
Joyce M

MaryMoh said...

This looks colourful, healthy, refreshing and delicious. I love carrots. Sound quite like a rabbit huh....haha

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

OH Mary,so true,this would add color and flavour to many a meal...
cheers and fantastic week ...

Chef Aimee said...

I have made these for a side dish around holiday time and its a hit...I do mine a little different and add some brown sugar. These look amazing!

lisa said...

I love carrots and beets too! This recipe sounds delicious.

Martha said...

My children were all orange when they were babies too, LOL! This recipe sounds yummy to me :-)

Velva said...

I love this side dish. besides carrots being healthy and delcious, they also make a very nice presentation as a side dish.

btw, I love beets too and could never understand why my kids move their vegetables to the side of the plate.

Lori said...

I bet it does pair well with lamb! This would be a great choice to cozy up next to lamb.

My cousin eats raw carrots, daily... and lots of them. Even though she is 50- she still has ber carrot colored hair. ha - isnt that funny.

Pondside said...

I thought you'd like to know that I made this for Sunday supper this evening and it was a big hit. My 83 year old parents loved it - definitely to be added to my 'keepers'.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I look forward to trying these carrots Mary....we love them, but I'm in a rut as far as finding different ways to serve them. Thanks!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Pondside, I'm delighted your parents enjoyed the carrots. It is a nice recipe. Thanks for the feedback.

Kim said...

I adore carrots, one of my favorites. This sounds like a great addition to the Easter table.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mary, this look simple and healthy!

Diana's Cocina said...

Oh how I love carrots. I just pulled some from the garden and now I have the perfect recipe for them.

kellypea said...

I remember those days when my babies sported an orange glow! This recipe has my complete attention. Wonderful flavors!

Karen said...

Cumin is one of my favorite seasonings. I think this dish would be perfect with lamb!

Katy ~ said...

Excellent! Saving this for the allergic to everything kid. She'll enjoy this one, as we will too. Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly