Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Corn and Edamame Succotash - Outdoor Wednesday



...and for Outdoor Wednesday, covered bridges.



More covered bridges of Lane County Oregon can be seen
here.
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite..."Sufferin' succotash!" I loved it as a child when it was made with lima beans and I love it now when it's made with edamame. American Indians taught the colonists how to make this dish. We can be pretty certain that they didn't use lima beans in those early versions because the beans, brought here by Europeans from South America, weren't native to North America. They did, however, have other types of beans at their disposal and they used used what was locally available. Over time, other regional additions were made to the mixture. Purists, and I happen to be one of them, insist the dish should be made only with corn, shell beans, butter and cream. Unfortunately, it had been so ineptly prepared and served, that millions remember it as the bad joke that sat in a cafeteria steam table throughout much of the 20th century. Efforts to improve its flavor led to the addition of other vegetables and it became a hodepodge of waring elements. We owe the green movement and its push for simplicity for restoring the dish to its original elements. The only trick to preparing succotash is to make sure the vegetables are cooked, but still retain a bit of crispness. Undercooked they are like rabbit pellets and overcooked they are like mush. The use of edamame has taken a nice dish and made it really special. This is the kind of supper that I make for my self when Bob is traveling. It's very easy to do and quite delicious. Here's the recipe.

Edamame and Corn Succotash...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups cooked corn kernels
1-1/2 cups shelled, cooked edamame
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Optional garnish: diced red bell pepper or finely chopped parsley

Directions:
Place butter in a large skillet and melt over medium heat. Add corn, edamame and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is warmed through. Do not let the mixture boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with bell pepper or parsley if using. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Brown Buttered corn with Basil - One Perfect Bite
Corn Salad with Edamame and Tomatoes - One Perfect Bite
Golden Corn and Potato Mash - One Perfect Bite

This is being linked to:
Outdoor Wednesday - A Southern Daydreamer

53 comments :

La Bella Cooks said...

My husband loves succotash and your recipe reminds me I need to make this more often, especially come summer! I better get moving as yours looks delicious.

Lazaro Cooks said...

Sufferin' Succotash...sorry big looney tunes guy as a kid! Great dish, very festive. Love the contrasting colors.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Mary!

I love both edamame and fresh corn, so I now I would love this!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

MaryMoh said...

Oooh...I love this dish....very healthy. I made one quite similar the other day. Just didn't use cream. I love edamame and sweet corn.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Love those contrasting colors,make not only a beautiful pic but a beautiful delcious eat as well.

Alessandra said...

THis dish reminds me of New Zealand, and also looks very English. I wander what the native American used before cream and butter were available. In New Zealand too many Maori dishes have been adapted by the addition of cream and butter.

Sutapa said...

It look so beautiful and appetizing!
I would love to try this!

Diane said...

I had to look up Edamame and I gather it is young soya beans. Now I know the answer I will definately try this dish. Diane

Sushma Mallya said...

Beautiful colours in that yummy salad...nice one...

Ana Powell said...

Awesome scenary.
Lovely and fresh looking dish, loved the combination of colours and flavours.
As usual well done x

Anusce@Ciao-Chow said...

I think summer is arriving!!!!
What a great dish...how is it that it is 9am here in Italy and you already have a post in the US (in the middle of the night)??

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Mary,
sono andata a cercare cosa significava la parola Edamame, e ho letto che è un tipico fagiolo acerbo della Cina.
Anche tu lo cucini con tutto il bacello per poi scartarlo al momento del consumo ?
A vedere la fotografia, deve essere un piatto buono :-)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

very colourful and sound healthy!

Federica Simoni said...

Ciao Mary! è sempre un piacere passare a trovarti!! anche oggi una ricetta super! complimenti!! ciao!

eileeninmd said...

The scenery and the covered bridge are both wonderful. Great shot. I have never tried Succotash, maybe someday.

Unknown said...

Mary, one word: YUM!
I absolutely love edamame beans. I'll keep this recipe in mind for summer.

Light and Voices said...

Lovely red covered bridge photograph.
Joyce M

Allie and Pattie said...

Great idea t use edamame! I buy it often as the little ones snack on it. Wonderful!
xoxo Pattie

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Not many people in my family like succotash but it was a dish my dad liked and I love it. I think this version with the edamame sound great!

I enjoyed your post with the beautiful covered bridges!

Kindly, ldh

Ann said...

perefect and healthy snack.. looks so yum

sanjeet said...

I need to make this more often, especially come summer! I better get moving as yours looks delicious.
post free classified ads

Joanne said...

I love succotash and this edamame version looks super delicious. You've got me in the mood for corn season to get here soon!

Big Dude said...

I had to look up edamame, but the dish sounds very good.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've just been getting into edamame in the last year here, this looks excellent. I make a couple of different salads with it but this looks different. Thanks!

Simply Life said...

WOW! What a delicious and perfect dish!

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh lovely photos screaming spring is here!

Allison Shops said...

Looks delicious. Dropping by from Outdoor Wednesday.

Allison
AtticMag

Unknown said...

I think I have never understood succotash until now! Wonderful!

Kim said...

You had me with the mere mention of edamame. I love that stuff:D

The Chef In My Head said...

I'm embarrased I have never made this before. Love your recipe! The swap for the edamame is a sure way to get me to! Have a wonderful day Mary ~LeslieMichele

Lyndas recipe box said...

I'm one who has not tried succotash before, mainly because it did not look appealing, but yours looks delicious, so I'll have to try your version! I love your use of edamame in this dish.

♥ Kathy said...

That looks yummy Mary :) Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

This looks good. Shyly I step to the soapbox and proclaim..."I have never eaten edamame." I think now is the time to try it, though I am fond of lima beans. Thanks Mary and have a good day.

Nancy's Notes said...

Scrumptious dish and oh so colorful! I think I'll make it this evening!

Nancy

Mary Bergfeld said...

Alesssandra, they'd use bear or other animal fat and water.

Alessandra said...

I though so Mary :-), I didn't want to say something silly. ;-D thank you!

Trissa said...

I'm a great fan of edamame, never thought to pair it with something else to make a salad! I'll have to try this. And by the way, thank you for sharing pictures of the bridges, they look beautiful and peaceful.

Namitha said...

Wonderful !!Lovely pictures too...Hope you'll have a fun day :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

A very healthy, colourful and delicious SPRING salad.

Unknown said...

Thats really a healthy colourful dish..have a great day....

Maria said...

Love the colors! Perfect for spring and summer!

Carol said...

I've never had succotash I think because of Lima beans. but I would definitely have it with edamame! Love your recipe, looks so good, I have to try it!

foodcreate said...

It look so awesome and delicious !
I would love to make this dish..

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I love butterbeans or butter peas in soccotash, but I'm going to have to try this for a change.

Liesl said...

Mmmmm I love Succotash!! This looks delicious!! Perfect refreshing treat for this spring weather!

Barbara said...

This is going on my make soon list, Mary! I love the looks of this and it's so healthy!
And for another very good reason. One of my favorite salads is made with corn, edamame and green onions. It's roasted in the oven for 20 minutes, then dressed with a little red wine vinegar, fresh basil and tomatoes. Saw Alton Brown make it last year and we've been eating it ever since!

Biren said...

Firstly, thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. Edamame is wonderful and I always have some frozen ones in the freezer. The are best minimally cooked like in your succotash. What a wonderful side dish!

It's lovely country out there and those covered bridges are so charming. We've driven through Idaho and Washington but not Oregon. Will have to make another trip out west sometime :)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Hi Mary. Gorgeous photo of the corn and edamame succotash. I wish I could get myself to like edamame. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't love it. This beautiful salad would convince me to give it another try.

However I'm crazy about that red covered bridge.
Sam

Michelle said...

I absolutely love Succotash. It's something about this combo of vegetables that is just so good! I swear I could eat it every day and not get tired of it.

noble pig said...

I love the edamame in this, a real treat as far as I'm concerned.

tasteofbeirut said...

Love that name succotash, sounds so fun! Great thing that the dish is made using tradition as a guide! edamame or not, this is beautiful and delish!

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks so good with those edamame--very fresh and delicious!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Really cool fun idea. Gives me lots of inspiration for corn season.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly