Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Double Celery Soup



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a light soup, but it is also substantial enough to be filling. A bit of a contradiction I know, but it really is a perfect soup to fill stomachs while bridging the seasons. When it's too cold for gazpacho, but too warm for a heavy bean soup, you'll be glad to have this recipe in your rotation. I must admit this soup surprised. I made it only because a neighbor had left celeriac on our porch and I had to figure out a way to use it. I have a handful of food writers that I go to when I'm exposed to new ingredients. Patricia Wells is one of them, and, sure enough, she had just what I was looking for. You can have this soup on the table in a little over an hour. You'll be delighted with it's flavor and its texture and you'll be especially pleased by how quickly it comes together. Celeriac, or celery root, is not always available in my community, so I snatch it up when I can get my hands on it. The root doesn't freeze well, but the soup does, so I usually make a double batch to assure I have some on hand. While there are herbs that add to the length of the ingredient list, the soup is made with just four real ingredients. It has made it to my top ten (soup) list and that doesn't happen often. I hope you'll try it. I know it sounds bizzare, but it is really, really good. Here's the recipe.

Double Celery Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Patricia Wells

Ingredients:
1 medium celery root (about 1 pound) peeled and diced
10 celery ribs, cubed
3 leeks (about 9 ounces) trimmed, well rinsed and cut into thin rounds
Bouquet garni: 1 large sprig of thyme, 3 bay leaves, several sprigs of parsley, tied with a string
2 quarts (2 liters) chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
A handful of chopped fresh herbs for garnish: including chervil, chives, flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine celery root, celery, leeks, and bouquet garni. Add stock, and season gently with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.Simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes. Adjust the seasonings. Pour into warmed shallow bowls. Sprinkle with the chopped herbs and serve immediately. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque - Petit Foodie
Pumpkin, Barley and Sage Soup - Noble Pig
Roasted Pumpkin Soup - Gourmet Girl
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup - Louanne's Kitchen
Tomato Leek Soup - Living the Gourmet
Creamy Tuscan Bean Soup - Italian Food Forever

38 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love lots of celery in soup and stew! I have never noticed celeric, but I guess I just never look for it or know what it looks like. I have never bought it because I didn't know what to do with it, but this looks so good, soup and stew are my favorite foods. I am imagining in my head what things you are doing now. The Himilayas, curry, temples, saris, hope the weather is great and all your dreams are fulfilled! Bring back lots of pictures!

Tia said...

wow, so fresh, light and yummy looking!

Unknown said...

as soon as I saw this, I instantly thought....light and comforting. It just looks so wonderful.

penny aka jeroxie said...

So healthy! Yummo... I hope you are enjoying your holiday

Diane said...

That looks so delicious. Diane

Sushma Mallya said...

yummy!!!very comforting and flavourful

Martha said...

Ah, this does look good but finding celeric on the prairie . . . . so it will have to wait until I can find some!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

your soup sound so flavourful!

Bakericious said...

this soup looks clear and healthy.

Sanjeeta kk said...

Refreshing soup, Mary. Very light and creamy.

Barbara said...

A really marvelous soup, Mary! I've already copied the recipe. I really like the lightness of the soup and use of celeriac. Unusual and a perfect warm-up lunch!

Nina Timm said...

Fresh and fragrant.....I like it a lot!!

Jamie said...

Funny enough but my husband just loves celery so he'd go nuts over this soup! Great recipe! Perfect for the cool weather we now have!

Tasha said...

My husband loves celery and has gotten me to appreciate it as much more than just a crudite option. I have no experience working with celeriac, but I imagine we would love this soup!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

This is such a lovely color, Mary. I'm going to keep this in mind, when I have an abundance of celery in the house.

Claudia said...

Celeriac appears later here so am bookmarking this. I could see it as a winter-warmer and love the leeks in it. I did make your slow-roasted pork - I changed some of the ingredients (don't we always?) but would love to feature it in The Examiner. It did indeed fall off the bone and thrill my family.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

A great recommendation... will be giving this a look

PeggyR said...

Very clever and it looks so cheerful! Hope your trip is going well.

San said...

Celery soup is refreshing n inviting.Different soup to look forward to .

CaSaundraLeigh said...

This is the perfect recipe to use up the bunch of celery I have in my fridge--looks delicious!

aipi said...

Celery soup looks great..very new recipe!

US Masala

Jeannie said...

I love celery soup, it is so fragrant and delicious! Bet yours is as delicious as you've said.

Faith said...

I just started cooking with celery root and I loved it, so I know I would be a huge fan of this soup! Double celery = double deliciousness!

Kelly said...

I've never thought of making celery into soup, but I love celery root so I can see how this would be absolutely delicious. Perfect for this transitional period between winter and summer when stews can be too heavy and like you said, gaspachos are definitely too light.

StephenC said...

This is right up my alley. I love celery and celeriac. Now if I can only remember that I want to try it. There's so much blogging going on! lol

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a delicious soup..

Ana Powell said...

That is a great proposal, I have never cooked celery soup.
Thanks for the hint ♥

Ana Powell said...

That is a great proposal, I have never cooked celery soup.
Thanks for the hint ♥

theUngourmet said...

I am craving a nice piping hot bowl of soup on this most blustery day! I love celery. Your delicious soup would really hit the spot!

The Blonde Duck said...

I need a good light soup!

Unknown said...

I love celery and celery root so this soup is really something I will prepare for myself, thanks so much for sharing:)

Donna-FFW said...

How refreshing does this sound! Id grab me a rilled cheese with this and call it dinner. A delicious dinner!

♥ Kathy said...

It's the time of year that I CRAVE soup..this looks wonderful!

Monet said...

Simple yet flavorful. This would be great with a crusty loaf of Italian bread. Thank you for sharing...I am sending good thoughts your way! I know you are having a wonderful adventure.

Rocquie said...

My husband adores celery and your soup looks beautiful. I can almost smell it. I'm going to making this one--thanks for sharing.

StephenC said...

Thanks for bringing a smile with the green food. I see that I commented on the celery/celeriac soup before. Well, now I'm making it - probably using just celery. I've had a head of it in the fridge for several days fully intending to use it as a vegetable. Here goes!

StephenC said...

Would you allow me to use a photo of your celery soup? I'm having camera problems and have a unigue plan for a soup.

Mary Bergfeld said...

My pleasure, Stephen. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly