Monday, November 8, 2010

Tuscan Cheese Cake - Torta di Ricotta



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We've had lots of pasta this fall, so with my kitchen in Italian mode, it was only a matter of time before I remembered this cake and pulled the recipe from my files. This dessert is not to everyone's liking, and while I hate to admit it, I have dissenters in my own family. They grouse the entire time they're eating the cake, but because no one here is force fed, that always makes me smile. The cake does have an unusual texture. It's a cross between a sponge cake and a cheesecake but it lacks the creamy sweetness of its American counterpart. If I had to compare it to something we all have eaten, a custardy bread pudding comes to mind. It's also been compared to a heavy souffle, the type you wouldn't want to drop on your foot. If you can, make this with fresh ricotta cheese, it really is worthwhile in this particular recipe. The cake has a faint undertone of lemon that makes it perfect to serve with macerated berries. I think the addition of almond flavor would also be wonderful. I refrigerate the cake for a full day before I plan to slice and serve it. I don't think it holds up well so my rule for it is a day to sit, a day to eat. I rarely have enough leftovers for that to be a problem. The recipe originally came from the Silver Spoon cookbook. Here's how they make this.

Torta di Ricotta - Tuscan Cheese Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of the Silver Spoon cookbook

Ingredients:
Butter for the pan
2-1/4 cups all purpose flour; extra for dusting the pan
4 eggs
1/2 cup light brown sugar; extra for sprinkling
1-3/4 cups ricotta cheese
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
5 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a deep tart or springform pan with butter and dust with flour. Whisk eggs and brown sugar together until light and foamy. Stir in ricotta cheese, lemon zest, olive oil and milk. Sift flour and baking powder over egg mixture, mix well and pour into cake pan. Sprinkle generously with additional brown sugar. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and turn out. Serves 6.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Yogurt Cheesecake - One Perfect Bite
Margarita Cheesecake - One Perfect Bite
Lavender Cheesecake Bars - One Perfect Bite
Caramel Apple Cheesecake - The Foodie/Nutritionist
Blueberry Japanese Cheesecake - Flour on Her Nose
Almond Cheesecake - Anncoo Journal
Fig and Almond Cheesecake - Brown Eyed Baker

42 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your comments about this make me really want to try it, it sounds real good!

Bakericious said...

Mary, I love cheesecake, you are making my hand and also mouth itchy now :)

Jeannie said...

I have never used ricotta cheese to make cheese cakes, this is something unique and looks delicious!

Red Nomad OZ said...

How good is that?! Looks almost TOO easy for the result - and so versatile you could add almost any flavouring or accompaniment!

Happy travels!!

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Molto buona questa torta di ricotta.
A me piace tantissimo.
Buona serata.
Myriam :))

Diane said...

I have never found a cheese cake yet that I did not like!! Yum Diane

Flavia Galasso said...

I'm lucky because here in Sicily ricotta cheese is really really delicious!!!I'm going to prepare this ricotta cake..thenks for recipe!!!Ciao

Priya Suresh said...

Cake looks super delicious..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is new to me, wish i can try one day.

Alessandra said...

Love it! My kind of cake :-)

(and I can even make ricotta at home!)

๓คקเ said...

Simply delicious.

In Italy we have a great tradition of ricotta cakes, especially in Sicily; this Tuscan version however is absolutely stunning!

From the Kitchen said...

I'm not a lover (or even liker) of traditional cheesecake but do like this "style". A note in my Silver Palate cookbook says "all liked" on this recipe. Good choice.

Best,
Bonnie

Kim said...

Love this cheesy cake!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I would be willing to try this! Maybe adding some cherry or strawberry sauce would give it an extra kick!

Faith said...

I've been wanting to make a ricotta cheesecake for a while now! This looks like the perfect recipe to start with...thanks, Mary!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have read about ricotta cheesecakes the less sweet clone of our cheesecake. I am all for giving it a try Mary.

Diana's Cocina said...

This is apparently just the recipe I never knew that I always wanted. This Tuscan Cheese Cake sounds absolutely delicious.

High Plains Drifters said...

this is exactly the kind of dessert that i couldn't stand as a kid but can't get enough of now. how does that happen?

Lyndas recipe box said...

This sounds great to me Mary...it looks dense and somewhat moist, which I love.I'm going to give it a try.

Unknown said...

THis intrigues me due to the fact of it's texture, I think I need to try it

Dinetonite said...

I love cheesecake, its just mouth watering

Patti said...

Actually, I think it sounds fantastic!!! The texture sounds great. I will definitely be trying this.

Thanks for sharing,
Patti

Heather said...

Mmm...yes, please!

Joanne said...

This cheesecake definitely does take some getting used to but I've been eating it from practically the moment I was born. So I'm a convert. Looks great!

PeggyR said...

This sounds really good!

Unknown said...

I've had ricotta cheesecake once when I was in New York and it's delicious. No doubt this version is delicious as well. Have a great day Mary. Michael

Rita said...

Looks good; real good.

Ana Powell said...

My kitchen in Italian mode too but throughout the week its impossible to document those dishes.
Awesome cheese cake recipe ♥

Claudia said...

I adore this cake -my husband's family - not so much. I did bring up kids with Italian ricotta cheesecake genes though! So I have to share.

Julie said...

That looks and sounds just heavenly. yum!

nutritioncoachedie said...

My sister sent me the link to your blog - I am really going to enjoy following it!!

Edie
from Nova Scotia

penny aka jeroxie said...

That LOOKs GREAT and I love Silver Sppon. I do use it quite religiously.

Monet said...

I love finding cakes with a unique or different texture. This looks stunning. And I also appreciate that it can (and should) be made a day in advance. There is nothing better than not having to worry about baking on the day of a party!

Adelina said...

this recipe is so timely, for I have a couple of cups of home made ricotta and was thinking what to do to finish it all quicker! Hope you are enjoying your time on the top of the world!

Juliana said...

Mary, your ricotta pie looks delicious...I should give a try.

We Are Not Martha said...

Wow, this looks so rich and delicious. I love it!! :)

Sues

Jamie said...

THIS is my kind of dessert. Ricotta. Italian. Yes. Perfect! Excellent recipe, Mary.

FOODalogue said...

I'm not much of a dessert maker but I'm thinking of testing my abilities in the new year. I know I'd love this cake.

The Baker Family said...

Wow! Yummy..this looks amazing I can't wait to try it.:)

The Baker Family said...

Wow! Yummy..This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it.

The Baker Family said...

Wow! This looks amazing. I can't wait to try it.

Beastie said...

Great, perfect and easy. We eat ir with strawberry jam or nutella. Thanks for the great cake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly