Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cranberry Trifle



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I want to classify this as a leftover dessert because it is just that in our house. It's made from bits and bobs of other Christmas desserts and the trifle is a last minute effort to see that nothing goes to waste. It is delicious and quite simple to do if you have all the elements at hand. It is, unfortunately, quite involved if you have to start from scratch. Not hard, mind you, just time consuming. To make ours, I used the remains of our orange-flavored Christmas pound cake, homemade cranberry conserve and a Crème Anglaise that had been made for other purposes. I additionally used frozen, thawed mixed berries and real whipped cream to complete the layering of the trifle. I have included recipes for the various elements of this dessert and instructions for its assembly below, but if you would prefer to make a semi-homemade version of the dessert, frozen pound cake, commercial cranberry preserves, a pudding mix and whipped topping can be used. If at all possible, I recommend making your own pudding or Crème Anglaise and using real whipped cream. There is a point at which time saving ingredients become counter productive and produce a dessert that might look gorgeous but have a synthetic flavor. This is one of those desserts. I rarely serve trifle following a meal. I prefer to serve it as a stand alone dessert with coffee later in the evening. I also like to serve this in individual portions, but you can, if you wish, make one large trifle. Here's are the recipes you need to make the trifle from scratch.

Cranberry Trifle...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite adapted from a recipe by Daniel Golden

Ingredients:
1 sponge or pound cake, cut into 1” by 6” pieces
1 recipe Crème Anglaise (or vanilla pudding)
1 recipe cranberry preserves (or commercial preserves)
1 recipe whipped cream (or whipped topping)
32 ounces frozen mixed berries, thawed
2 ounces toasted almonds
½ cup cranberries

Directions:
1) To assemble, begin with a layer of cake. Add a layer of mixed berries. Place cranberry preserves directly on top of berries, followed by a layer of Crème Anglaise. Top with whipped cream and garnish with toasted almonds and sugared cranberries. Yield: 6 to 8 individual trifles or one large trifle.

Recipes for Components

Cranberry Preserves
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups cranberries
28 ounce jar of orange marmalade
1 pinch of ground cloves

Dissolve sugar into orange juice over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients to orange juice mixture and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Chill preserves in refrigerator.

Crème Anglaise
9 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups heavy whipping cream
4 teaspoons vanilla

Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix until thickened. Heat cream in a medium sauce pan until it begins to bubble slightly. Whisk cream into egg mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Return mixture to sauce pan. Continue to cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Take care to not allow mixture to boil. When thickened, move Crème Anglaise to mixing bowl to cool. Stir, occasionally, as it cools to prevent skin forming on top. Chill. Add vanilla and serve.

Sponge Cake
1 cup flour
6 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a small mixing bowl, stir flour with whisk to break it up. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, half of sugar, and vanilla until thickened. Add flour to top of egg mixture, but do not stir in. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form. Gently add remaining sugar to egg white mixture. Continue to whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Transfer batter into a buttered 9” by 12” pan. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until knife can be inserted and removed clean. When cool, cut cake into 1” wide by 6” long strips.

Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla

Beat all ingredients until stiff. Chill whipped cream until ready to use.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Peach and Mango Trifle - Adora's Box
Cranberry Trifle - Tasty Tidbits
Eggnog Tiramisu Trifle - Half Baked
English Trifle with Pears and Cherries - Lindaraxa's Garden
Christmas Pudding Trifle - The English Kitchen
Panettone and Orange Trifle - Alessandra Zecchini
Accidental Chocolate Trifle - Food Loves Writing
Raspberry Trifle - Healthy and Gourmet

59 comments :

Linda Starr said...

Oh I just saw the french dip and then cranberry triffle, always wonder why trifles were called trifles, must go back and read your post.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never made one, but have never seen leftovers look so beautiful!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

Oooh this is a perfect wintry trifle! I make a summertime one with seasonal berries and am sooo excited about yours! especially the sugared berries on top... ohmygosh! what a great touch!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

A Canadian Foodie said...

All I can say is this looks deadly! I love creamy fruity and tart desserts! But, I cannot believe I have the capacity to find this lush as I have definitely overeaten my quota of sweets for the next few months!
:)
Happy Happy New Year!
Valerie

Rhonda said...

I love triffles. So easy and yummy, cranberries are a favorite so I must try!

aipi said...

Wow..that looks so festive and pretty!!


US Masala

Eileen said...

Oh, that sounds delicious! A perfect treat.

Angie's Recipes said...

Mary, the trifle looks splendid!
Happy New Year!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look perfect and delicious. Happy New Year to you and all at home.

j3ss kitch3n said...

this is a beautiful turn about mary! looks so yummylicious!

Alessandra said...

I never thought of doing a trifle with cranberry, maybe because if a berry I don't know much about. Here they are only frozen... I could use those I guess...

Happy New Year :-)

ciao
Alessandra

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I love making trifles. They are usually even better the next day, especially if you use a little port to soak the cake portion. All of the flavors develop and it is just wonderful.

Anette said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'v just been looking around a bit at yours, and I will definitely come back! This is up my road! Happy New Year!

The Words Crafter said...

This looks absolutely divine! I could actually just get a spoon and dig in:)

MaryMoh said...

I need this now. Loving sweet and creamy thing early in the morning :) Your trifle looks very delicious....drooling. Wishing you a great 2011!

Priya Suresh said...

Extremely tempting trifle..awesome..

fuat gencal said...

Merhabalar, ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok güzel ve leziz görünüyor.
Ayrıca yeni yılın sağlık ve mutluluk getirmesini diler yeni yılınızı tebrik ederim.

Saygılarımla.

Deb in Hawaii said...

So festive and pretty and I am sure it must taste as good as it looks. Trifles are such fun desserts. ;-)

cocoa and coconut said...

Trifle calls my name at this time of year. Thanks for sharing your recipe Mary! Well done for using those leftovers up.

Have a Happy New Year !!

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

What a great way to use leftovers. It looks festive and yummy!

Diane said...

This sounds delicious and a complete change from my normal recipe, must give this a try. Diane

From the Kitchen said...

I'm starting to panic as my freezer stash of cranberries is dwindling! Bringing these components together makes for a spectacular dessert. As for the whipped cream, etc., we use little in the way of what science has given us as food--no margarine or whipped topping in our refrigerator!

Have a delicious and happy new year my friend.

Best,
Bonnie

speedy70 said...

Splendido e golosissimo questo dolce, perfetto; grazie della ricetta cara, un abbraccio!!!

Unknown said...

Hey,

That's a beautiful trifle...:)Love it...Happy new year to you dear!!:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

The Food Hound said...

This is gorgeous!! And so festive!! I love trifles and you're totally right, it's a perfect leftover dessert!

Julie said...

Love, love, love trifles!! This one is beautiful. I am thinking it would be even more delicious with a glass of bubby! Happy New Year!

Martha said...

We almost had a trifle for Christmas -- but not a leftover one -- a made from scratch one but then decided on creme brulee (there were only 4 of us) -- your trifle looks delicious and I love the cranberry element -- I'll have to try that next year.

lena said...

mary, this desset looks very mouth watering and looks so beautiful!

Chele said...

Yum! My Husband would move in with you if you he knew leftovers could look this good!

Cathy said...

Such a beautiful and festive dessert, Mary, and I love your version with cranberry conserve.

Happy New Year!

Steve @ HPD said...

Cannot ... I say again, cannot ... have too many cranberry recipes.

Cheers!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Wow, you sure have nice leftovers and know how to make them shine.

Joanne said...

I never really thought of doing something with leftover dessert but the concept is genius! We always have so much of it and my mother bemoans the fact that it just sits there, often going bad. This looks wonderful!

Pete said...

Wow, nice cake. I want one piece!

Unknown said...

I LOVE trifles... and I adore cranberries...I know I would devour this!!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

That is a pretty gorgeous "leftover dessert" and a fantastic finish to any celebration! I used to be quite the trifle guy, but haven't done it in a long time. My favorite was a cherry triffle with macaroons from one of the Williamsburg cookbooks.

Valérie said...

A classic way to use leftover desserts, but yours looks so elegant! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I have put aways bits of all my dessert in the last few weeks, I am so making a trifle. Fab idea.

Lucie said...

Such an ingenious way to use leftovers, Mary. Sounds truly delicious!

Carol said...

What a beautiful trifle! It looks delicious! Love all the flavors in there!

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

Big Dude said...

Bev bought the ingredients for a raspberry triffle but never got around to making it. Yours looks amazing and I'll have to show her this recipe.

teresa said...

what a beautiful trifle, i love the idea of using what you have leftover to make another beautiful dessert.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

perfect dessert to celebrate holidays...very inviting mary...advance wishes for the coming new yr...enjoy

Kim said...

To me, this is the perfect dessert,ti's easy to prepare and you can use whatever you have to build it. Plus with cranberries, it sounds fantastic to me!"

~ Chef Louise said...

hmm trifle, lovely... beautiful sugar on those cranberries- they look like little ornaments...
happy new year

Katerina said...

If you didn't tell us that it was made from leftovers I wouldn't even imagine that. It looks very elegant!

mely said...

My mouth is watering just to read the recipe. And using leftovers created this beauty, is incredible. Will take the idea and hope to come up with something as good looking like yours.

HAppy 2011!

Tasha said...

This looks so pretty. I've never made a triffle before, but this one makes me want to try it! You'd never guess it was a dessert made of "leftovers."

justjoycee said...

Looks soooo delicious! Happy New Year!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

My husband LOVES trifle. All those many years that we took students to Europe, we always spent two weeks living in and working with small churches in Scotland. The darling little older ladies would surprise Dave often with a huge bowl of homemade trifle. Even the Safeway premade version, was incredible. Sweet memories.

I will surprise him in the New Year with trifle.

Fondly
Glenda

Unknown said...

My husband makes a similar dessert as he is our dessert guy! Your trifle is beautiful! A perfect "make ahead" and beautiful presentation!

scrambledhenfruit said...

What a creative use of leftovers! It does look like a perfect holiday dessert. :)

Jeannie said...

I love all the desserts that you have created Mary, they look so mouthwatering and this one is no exception...wishing you and family a very happy new year!:D

Banana Wonder said...

I would eat your leftover dessert any day! I love the pretty cranberries on top too :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic!!!!

Happy New Year Mary!!!
Blessings


Charo

Monet said...

What a lovely end to the holiday season. I still have some cranberries that need to be used...this looks like a wonderful way to get rid of that last bag. Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I wish you and yours a blessed weekend and new year!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

What a great way to use up leftovers! And I love the flexibility of this dish--using different fruit, cake, etc. Happy New Year!

Leslie said...

Beautiful and delicious!

That Girl said...

All my dessert leftovers become either trifle, or bread pudding

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly