Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Crock-Pot Pork Posolé



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...A traditional Posolé is a spicy stew that's made from hominy, chilies and some type of meat or poultry. Hominy is dried corn that has been softened by soaking it in a mild lye solution. The process separates the hull and germ from the kernel, leaving behind corn kernels that can then be dried and reconstituted for cooking at another time. Hominy is the foundation on which a good posolé is based. The soupy stew is very popular in Mexico and the desert Southwest and, when it's properly made, it can be delicious. I've decided to serve posolé, along with Sonoran hot dogs and super nachos to our guests on Super Bowl Sunday. I hasten to add that my version of this famous stew is not traditional. I add peanut butter and a mole sauce to mine which gives it a more distinctive and unusual flavor. I first tasted the stew with these additions at a competition, and, once I'd sampled it, I knew I would have to incorporate them into my own recipe. I really love this dish. It's a great way to feed a crowd who might be tired of chili, and it is even easier to make. If you wish, the stew can be braised in the oven, rather than cooked in a crock-pot. My only caution is a reminder. While, you can always add more heat, once the chilies are in the pot they are there to stay. So, please use the jalapenos judiciously. Most of you will love this stew. Here's the recipe for those of you who would like to try it.

Crock-Pot Pork Posolé...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Marybeth Mank

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 (14.5-oz.) cans hominy, white or gold, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15.5-oz.) can kidney beans, undrained
2 tablespoons diced jalapeno or other green chilies
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup jarred prepared mole (mole can be found in Latin section of your grocery store) the grocery store]
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
Optional Garnish:
Sour cream
Fresh chopped cilantro

Directions:
1) Spray 5-quart crock-pot with nonstick cooking spray. Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add pork and saute until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to crock-pot. Add onions, carrots and garlic to pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to crock-pot. Stir in bell pepper, hominy, tomatoes, kidney beans and jalapenoes. Mix well.
2) In a separate bowl, combine tomato paste, peanut butter, mole sauce, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cinnamon and 2 cups chicken broth. Whisk until thoroughly combine.Stir in remaining 2 cups broth. Pour over mixture in crock-pot and stir to combine.
3) Cover crock-pot and cook on LOW for 6 hours, or on HIGH for 3 hours. The completed posolé should have the consistency of a stew. If it is too thick, thin with additional chicken broth or water. If too watery, dissolve 2 tablespoon of flour in 1/4 cup broth. When smooth add 2 cups of liquid from stew and stir until smooth. Return to pot and cook until posolé comes to a simmer and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Serve with warm tortilla or cornbread. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Mexican Chicken Wrap - The Life of a Foodie and Her Family
Chicken Tortilla Casserole - Christine's Cuisine
Tostadas - The Farmer's Wife
Caldo de Res - Cooking in Mexico
Mole Chicken - Real Food Whole Health
Tortilla Soup - Katy's Kitchen

This post is also being linked to:
Crock Pot Wednesday at Dining with Debbie

44 comments :

Diane said...

I have never heard of hominy and certainly have never seen dried maize kernels. As for mole I had to look that up, also an item unavailable here. As it has peanut butter in it I would leave this out anyway. There is only one food in this world I do not like and that is peanut butter :( Diane

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had heard of this dish, but never knew what it was!! I should have asked you long ago!

Priya Suresh said...

Never knew about this dish,sounds filling..

Flavia Galasso said...

I always love your posts and recipes..this is another wonderful "world" to me!!Blessings, Flavia

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...looks too good to pass. I need that to keep me warm in this cold weather. I have been cooking soup almost everyday. Wishing for summer to be here soon. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Ana Powell said...

Lovely long-simmered Mexican stew.
I`ll have mine with some tortillas on the side ♥

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Sounds like you'll have a tasty Super Bowl menu!

Unknown said...

This is definitely going on the menu next week:) I would love for you to link it up with Crock Pot Wednesday this week. Hope you are doing well.

Carol said...

Have to make this, I finally found hominy around here, your recipe looks delicious. Love the idea of adding mole and peanut butter.

Kim said...

I'd like to have a pot of this tonight for diner... Lots of flavors, it's for me. It looks good Mary. Have a good day!

Unknown said...

I like a good posole...but I, unfortunately, have had really bad ones too..ugh! I love your addition of the peanut butter and mole.. I bet it is outstanding!!

Priyanka said...

It looks so refreshing and healthy... After a hectic day at the office...its is an awesome dish to have....Thanks

Unknown said...

I have heard posole many times but never really knew how it was defined until now. Love when I lern new things while visiting blogs! This looks over the top delicious and the crock-pot cooking makes its list of ingredients no sweat!

Clint said...

First of all, Mary, I want to thank you for your supportive comments on my blog yesterday. I appreciate it very much.

This dish sounds---and looks---wonderful...especially since you are serving other great stuff with it. I'm sorry---what time should we be there?

PeggyR said...

Sound slike another wonderful recipe!

June said...

Great idea to add peanut butter and mole', I don't think you could ever go wrong with that. It looks delicious Mary ...another one of your masterpieces that I can't wait to try!

Annie said...

Geesh, this is the second slow cooker recipe that I have bookmarked today. I have so many to try! There is some hominy in my pantry that my husband bought on a whim and I was wandering what the heck I would do with it. Now I know! Thanks!

teresa said...

so yummy! i hadn't even heard of posole until a few weeks ago. this looks so hearty and comforting.

Beverly said...

I could use something warm and comforting. It is cold, dreary and very rainy here today.

Katerina said...

You are right about the jalapenos. I always cut back on all recipes because I have a stomach problem that doesn't allow me to eat hot meals. Other than that this posole looks hearty and tasty!

Anonymous said...

No wrong way to make posole. And almost as many ways to spell it as there are to make it.

Don't forget the sliced radishes on the side!

Cheers!

Joanne said...

This is definitely the kind of stew that I could fall in love with. As soon as you said peanut butter and mole...I was sold.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

That is one gorgeous stew Mary and a great choice for Super Bowl! Love the addition of mole and peanut butter.

I'm actually stopping by from Debbie's Crockpot Wednesday where I linked in my Crockpot Creole Chicken - stop by!

That Girl said...

I really need to use my crockpot more!

Rita said...

I am always on the lookout for another different crockpot recipe. This one really caught my eye; prining this one out; thank you.
Rita

Tanna said...

I LOVE posole! I do not have a version with peanut butter, so I am looking forward to trying this one.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. Much appreciated. Blessings ~ Tanna

Anonymous said...

Posole is my go to dish whenever I see it on the menu at a Mexican Restaurant! I can't wait to try it out in the crockpot :)

Bossy Chef said...

Oh this looks perfect for tomorrow night!

Kris said...

Hi Mary,
Thank you for your nice words. I am so happy to have found YOU! I am a foodie, and I love to find new cooking blogs like yours. I am your new follower, but I can't figure out why my photo is no longer appearing when I follow a new blog???
Come on back any old time to visit. And I shall be coming around your place too!!!

La Bella Cooks said...

I am heeding your word of caution regarding the chiles as I have made that mistake more than once! Your pork posole is just what the doctor ordered for me today, something warming to take the aches away. You always have something wonderful to share with us.

Unknown said...

I just love hominy, I love to just pan fry it with salt & pepper, and top with asiago or parm.

This looks super good, I am enjoying my new found love for heat.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog and for the compliment! I'm excited to read future posts from you and have already gotten great food ideas from your blog!

Kitchen Riffs said...

Posole is dish that’s been on and off my food radar for years, and I’ve never made it. We’re deep into stew/chili/hearty soup weather, so your timing with this recipe is perfect. The combination of mole and peanut butter is intriguing. Any particular reason you don’t drain the kidney beans? I’m not too fond of the gunk that sometimes collects on the bottom of the can so I’ve always drained and rinsed them, but maybe I’m wrong in my thinking.

Catherine said...

Wow! is the comment that comes to mind! That really looks good. Blessings, Catherine

Anonymous said...

I am loving this spicy stew! Looks delicious! Excellent way to warm me up on this freezing day! :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

If I actually watched the Super bowl, I'd like to watch it at your house- your menu is fabulous! This gives me another reason to dig out my crock pot. :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

What is hominy? another lovely dish from you :)

Anonymous said...

Mary, thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog...particuarly because it brought me to yours! I will definitely be looking through your wonderful recipes and fantasizing about all the things I can't currently cook here in Taiwan :)

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love the looks of this Mary and I think my husband will to. I make soups and stew for him to take to work, so this is bookmarked.
I'm not sure of the homimy though. It is not a favorite of mine, but I may try it in this dish.
Have a wonderful evening!

Magdalena said...

I do not know posole, but it looks like a kind of a very thick soup, am I right ? I love soups, I love beans, the combination of beans and rich stock in the winter time is one of my winter - time based dietary system....regards, magdalena

Magdalena said...

Mary, thanks for your explanations as regards posole :)

I have your recipe in mind as a soup lover (irrespective whether pole is a soup or not)

Best regards


Magdalena

PCovi said...

I LOVE POSOLE SO MUCH!!!
It is rather new to me...introduced by neighbors and I can't get enough :)
We put jalepeno's, onion and cabbage (all chopped) on top.

Kristen said...

My heart melted completely out of my chest when I saw this post. A lovely Mexican woman from my childhood used to make large pots of Pasole and send them occasionally down the street. I would eat nothing but pasole for days, it was so good. Thank you for this post!

Harvesting for Life said...

Yummmmm.... I haven't had posole in over a year! :-( I love the idea of cooking it in the crock pot! This looks amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly